• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wardy18

[misc_work] Project 205 Diffuser

wardy18

Not sure what they are like but I'll have a look, thanks for the idea

Cameron

You really don't have to do that though! It will help a little, but personally I don't think it's worth the faff and the extra weight to fit skirts that are just gonna get ruined the first time you race.

Also, skirts are there to stop high pressure air going under the car to the low pressure zone, not to stop air coming out from underneath. :(

Henry 1.9GTi

what cameron said. They used wood on some of the F1 cars and I think on sprung loaded rollers to allow for wear.

Are you making or have already got a front splitter? A good length splitter at the front will help shift your downforce towards the front. Try and run it close to the ground as well to act as a dam creating that low pressure underneath the car.

wardy18

I'll load up some pics of the front bumper/splitter set up

Cameron

Yeah, adding to what Henry said it's important not to forget about the front. A nice low splitter at least 10cm long will help to keep your downforce distribution balanced; there's no point in having loads of rear downforce as you'll only lose grip at the front.

wardy18

Pics of latest progress, i have now re-mounted the front suspension from above the top mount, this gives my strut more travel as i found when i pulled the car apart i only had 10mm travel before bump stops were hit, not good!!

Anyway i now have 85mm ground clearence a the very tip of the splitter, this is with no engine in also, but i need to raise this by 10-15mm to eradicate the above issue, so lets say 100mm clearence at the tip of the splitter.

Also the splitter as you will see has adjustable struts

Splitter is atleast 100mm deep

Please also note that the sideskirts are to be shortened vertically front to back as they are too low at the moment, they also look odd at the moment because they are too long vertically.

wardy18

Cant add anymore pics as it seems ive reached my thread limit

Can this be rectified!?

welshpug

yeah, use photobucket, FlickR or imageshack.

Henry 1.9GTi

splitter looks good, does it extend back underneath the engine at all? Try and cover up those areas leading to the front wheels as they cause havoc with air flow. (the wheels that is)

if you could extend the splitter back to at least the front axel line it should make a big difference. Think mushroom shape with a wide stalk when looking in the plan view :)

wardy18

The car will have a complete undertray from the front splitter to the rear bumper and from sideskirt to sideskirt (rear end will be the diffuser which started all this work)

Cameron

Your car looks bloody awesome, I love the white arrow-stripe down the side, really neat touch! :(

I'd say leave the skirts as they are, lower = better.

wardy18

Trouble is they are about 8cm off the ground which runs the risk of catching them and that would mean side skirt cracked and smashed and also arch that its joined to including body paintwork damage.

Maybe ill just take 2cm off and give me 10cm clearence, i can then match this with 10cm clearence on the full undertray

wardy18

Sideskirts now finished and fitted just need to be sprayed now which will be done at the same time at the rear arch extensions and the guernsey flag on the roof

See fitted pics in my photobucket account, click link below

Tomorrow is the start of the undertray

kyepan

i absolutely love that paint-job.

allye

Are you anticipating that undertray to be an absolute pain in the arse when ever you want to work on the underneath!!? :unsure:

Impressive fabrication skills and looking forward to seeing the results you get when you get it competing.

wardy18

Ha yeh, I intend to not have to remove this centre tray once fitted, the front undertray and rear diffuser will be overlapped over this one as more than likely it will be front and rear trays that will need to be dropped to work on the rear beam etc or under the engine, nothing much can really go wrong in the centre of the car, exhaust pipe will be heat wrapped all the way down to reduce temps between undertray and floor pan too.

It has been built and fitted with ease of removal, have used rivnuts or nutserts into the floor pan and made spacer tube which the securing bolts slide through, Allen key flat head bolts bolt up from underneath through the floor tray through a rubber washer to stop vibrations then through the spacer tubes and into the rivnuts in the floor pan. Each spacer tube has been cut to certain length to ensure the floor tray secures perfectly flat.

So to remove it's simply drop all the Allen head bolts and tray drops down. Fitting is a little fiddle lining up all the bolts with spacer tubes.

Will see how it goes

wardy18

Front Undertray now complete, see pics in my photobucket account as linked previously for pics.

Now starting to build the diffuser (FINALLY), i have the measurements ready for the majority of the build, the main part of the diffuser that will do the work is 135cm long with a 7 to 7.5deg lift, this sits nicely under the rear bumper and just clears the beam.

2 problems i have are the lower damper mount and the exhaust as it angles over the beam.

The damper mounts i can sort with little effort, just mean the diffuer width needs to narrow to 76cm between the mounts which is good as this narrowing will speed up the air towards the back of the car within the diffuser, i have however thought if turning the mounting bolts the other way around so the bolt head is on the inside of the damper mount and the nut is on the outside which will gain me another 3cm width on the diffuser. CAN THIS BE DONE THOUGH?!

So the biggest problem is the exhaust, this will really eat into the flat plain of the diffuser as it will need to notched out in the diffuser an boxed in in effect. Im wonder if can re-route the exhaust above the beam, its going to be a centre exit exhaust above the diffuser.

What do you reckon?!

Cameron

Can you have the exhaust come out the centre, then box it in as a narrow continuation of the floor to divert airflow around it? Think of the gearbox tunnel at the back of a mid-engined supercar.. it continues from the flat floor to the back of the car and you end up having 2 channels either side of it. This should also help to speed up the airflow.

wardy18

Ill try and draw up some sketches on how it will sit, the exhaust will exit the back of the car above the diffuser because the to get the 7deg lift the diffuser needs to sit quite low at the back. if i were to have even a streamlined box in of the exhaust going over the beam it will be quite intrusive into the 79cm width of the main diffuser upsweep.

wardy18

White lines show where the diffuser will mount and as you can see there is a fair amount of space above for the exhaust to exit

post-11100-1294395959.jpg