• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wardy18

[misc_work] Project 205 Diffuser

Henry 1.9GTi

mount it on the uprights? :) wont be affected by roll or pitch then.

tongue in cheek.

very interesting project, be interesting to get a g meter in the car for before and after runs.

wardy18

Sorry I'm lost with that post....

Mount what on what uprights?

What's a g meter?

Liquid_106

Some inspiration for you B)

TTRS_2-L.jpg

TTRS_6-L.jpg

Is it just me or does the difuser appear to 'float' below the car (can't think of the right word) - it doesn't look to be that tied into the car?!?!?

1st pic also emphasises how far the difuser needs to extend past the 'end' of the car also.

Loving the rear spoiler :)

projectpug

G meter will measure YAW rates. Basically the amount of G you can pull going around a corner- with and without the aid of the aero work. Basically a nice test of the product.

Fibreglass sound good :)

projectpug

TT- I feel the rear diffuser is mounted like this to get the car as low to the ground as possible and increase the ground effect.

Edited by projectpug

wardy18

Ah ok yeh a g meter would be good!

Lovin the Audi by the way!

Shame I've only got a tiny garage and limited funds to do what I can!

Rich_p

You can download a free g meter app on iPhones.

Apparently quite accurate as someone I know works for Bentley and they compared the results with their very expensive test kit and it came out nearly identical!

wardy18

Excellent ill get that downloaded

Need to source myself some styrofoam so i can make some customs side skirts to meet the arches

Rich_p

I just checked and it's the free G-meter app by Bastian Kohlbauer that works well…

wardy18

Got it, looks good, will give it a go at lunch time in the Subaru :)

Cheers

kyepan
Just how much do you think a full body undertray will be of advantage to me in my division of motorport with regards to uninterupted air streams and downforce?!

from what i have read underbody airflow accounts for 15% of drag

wardy18

Having a go at Making a set of side skirts from scratch is a damn sight harder than it sounds!

wardy18

Ok Sideskirts are coming along nicely now, the reason i held off on the diffuser and startd the side skirts is because i cant do the diffuser until i sort the main body undertray and i cant do the main body undertray until i do the sideskirts, they all join to each other!!

here's some pic of my first attempt (i used air dry modelling clay to blend teh side skirts in to the arches), wasnt keep at all on the blend into the rear arch on the 1st attempt, just didnt look right, was too much for the car!!

here's the 2nd attempt, the blend to the rear arch is alot more low key

Next step is once the clay is dry to sand it down smooth and then lay some filler over the whole side skirt to get a good smooth finish, the side skirt will then be removed and waxxed up then laid with fibreglass to make a mould of it.

Also extending the rear arch down the side of the valance.

Am tryin to make it look like a proper touring car design NOT a chav racer!!

M@tt

top effort mate! looks really good!

Henry Yorke

I would design it with a good lip that you can attach some thick plastic / acrylic to so you can get the skirt as low to the ground as possible. Yes it will catch which is why you use a flexible material, but it will direct much more air out of the back of the car

wardy18

As it sits there with the 16" MO's on the side skirts if 10cm off the deck, my undertray will sit 13cm off the deck so ill have a 3cm lip at the side skirts which will then angle off infront of the tyre to the centre of the car to channel the air to the diffuser, might be able to get away with 1 more cm on the lip but will wait and see how it all sits together.

Tryin to work out what to do with the ends of the rear valance behind the wheel, might look a bit daft from the side with the side skirts infront of the rear wheels being 10cm off the deck then the rear valance being way higher at about 18-20cm, any ideas?!

Cameron

It could look a bit funny, maybe you could extend the sides down slightly? Although saying that, your diffuser sticking out the back might help to make the side profile look alright anyway, as the bottom of your strakes will be level with the bottom of the sills.

wardy18

Most recent pics of sideskirts

Progress has slowed down alot lately because my hours have been changed at work so im finishing later and when i get home it is now dark and having such a small garage most of the work needed means pushing the car out of the garage and working outside which when pitch black doesnt work very well

I have started building the drivers side now ready to fit and start moulding

The passenger side as you can see has had the first layers of filler laid on and sanded back, once im happy with the finish it will all be taken off and a mould will be made from it with fibreglass.

Also the rear arch extensions for the rear valance have been made ready to be moulded (pics to follow)

Filler work is a lengthy process especially when it to build something from scratch as your constantly adding filler and sanding back to get the right shape to match the car, everything in my garage is white from filler dust.

Like i said before i have gone off a side from the diffuser but i cant to the diffuser until i do the undertray and cant do that until i do the sideskirts

wardy18

Rear Arch extensionsnow complete ready to be fitted

Step 1 - shaping a plug to make the mould from

Step 2 - making a fibreglass mould from the plug to be able to re-produce them whenever i want

Step 3 - making the new arch extension from the mould, 1 Layer Gel Coat, 1 Layer Fibreglass, weighing in at less than my scales will read

Step 4 -Fitment

Custom sideskirts almost finished so watch this space

Cameron

Wow 1 layer is pretty thin, you must be serious about saving weight! :lol:

Rich_p

Are you going to be running a flexible rubber skirt underneath the side skirts ala the Ground effect Lotus cars?

Also will this be the next step?

post-11873-1290600818_thumb.jpg

post-11873-1290600919.jpg

(Being serious though I'm impressed with your manufacturing skills)

wardy18

I will run a strake just inside of the outer sideskirt edge to channel air to the back of the car rather than out the sides, what it will be made out of i dont know yet but something that will bend if caught without damaging the undertray

Rubber is a good idea but to be sturdy enough it would have to be a few mm thick and then it starts to get heavy

Plastic is another idea, will just shatter on impact and easily cut and replaced if i fit it right, and still flexible but stiff

Rich_p

I wonder if something like the plastic strips they use for warehouse doors would be sturdy enough?