• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
miamigtimark

1.6 Gti To Gti6 Do I Need To Run The Oil Cooler/exchanger?

miamigtimark

Good evening guys!!!

As title really.

ive looked at cooling setups using search and also discovered that the 1.6 has no oil cooler in standard spec.

Wondering if i need to plumb the cooler in or can i just block it off on the gti6 engine.

Ive purchased a thermostat housing modification and silicone top rad hose and obviously these dont have a T piece to the cooler on the gti6.

Thanks in anticipation. Mark

Miles

No need to run it at all, Its not a cooler anyway

miamigtimark

Much apprieciated Miles.

Does the coolant just run a loop around the oil filter then?

Can i just link inlet to outlet horseshoe style?

Miles

Just block it off, never loop any water pipes

Baz

It's a heat exchanger, as Miles says, no need to run it.

If you want to run a proper air-oil cooler, up to you but really depends what you're going to use it for.

DrSarty

Ref the piping/hosing:

Simply block them off where they normally start. This is usually one hose from the rear distribution block and one from the water housing on the size of the head. Sometimes they spur off the large top rad hose. Mi16, S16 and GTI6 hosing set ups do differ slightly, but the coolant routes are roughly the same.

Either way, leave the heat exhanger off, don't include the pipes at all and get the shorter threaded insert as used on the 1.6 GTI to fit the oil filter to the block.

miamigtimark

Many thanks for the advice.

Sign in to follow this