• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matthewm

Too Much Oil Pressure?

matthewm

Just fired up my MI after a bottom end rebuild - including 8v crank and rod set up, with new oil pump with 6 bar spring, and 26 tooth sprocket with 52link chain.

Now the fecking thing keeps blowing the oil filter seal out and squirting oil everywhere, I've read numerous articles on here with people having the same set up, has anyone else incurred this, or do I have deeper problems....

Anthony

I've only heard of it happening to one other person, and after replacing the oil filter its been fine ever since (same setup etc)

Tom Fenton

Have you bought a new aftermarket oil pump and then fitted the OE Peugeot yellow 6 bar spring in it?

matthewm

Yes Tom, think its an FIA Automotive oil pump.

Changed filter and gave it a good tighten and its holding now, gauge shot over its 100psi max on start up, then came down to 85psi on cold tick over.

Tom Fenton

I had the same issue with the same setup. In the end I had to put the original spring in, when I measured the spring location in the new pump it was not the same size as the OE Peugeot pump meaning that the yellow 6 bar spring gives massive pressure.

See how you get on, but be very careful about revving it at all from cold as the car I had the problem with spat out 3 oil filter seals before I had the sump off and changed the spring for the standard one. If it happened on the move you could be in bother very quickly!

matthewm

Good call Tom - that explains it then! Just got in from dropping the sump ready to change the spring back - rather not take the risk with that much pressure nudging my seals every event!

Tom Fenton

I found that the original 5 bar spring in the aftermarket pump gave nearly the same as a 6 bar spring in an OE pump. However it is a bit trial and error. The original spring supplied with the aftermarket pump was noticeably less strong than the standard 5 bar Peugeot spring, which ties in with the spring location dimension being different.

matthewm

Just put the standard spring supplied with the pump in and its dropped to 30psi! So think it'll be all back out and 5bar spring in - wish I'd read your post sooner.

welshpug

What was wrong with the o.e pump?

matthewm

Sorry for the slow reply been away, when I split the pump I found the ally service had started to score on the pick-up half (Above the gears).

Whats your experience\advice on servicing\replacing the pumps and what to go for etc welshpug?

Sign in to follow this