• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Kobayashi

[misc_work] 205 Gentry Euro-spec/manual

Anthony

Ah, I didn't realise that was your car - it looked great in the metal! :D

(I was in the black UK registration 205 on the Dolomiti Drive in September, where the last picture was taken)

welshpug

Needs griffe/goodwood colour scheme on the wheels to finish it off i think :D

Kobayashi

Ah, I didn't realise that was your car - it looked great in the metal! :D

(I was in the black UK registration 205 on the Dolomiti Drive in September, where the last picture was taken)

Thank you.

I know woho you are - it's easier the other way round as both of you are some sort of VIPs here :-)

Needs griffe/goodwood colour scheme on the wheels to finish it off i think :D

I agree - will do that some day...

It still won't be the correct green colour however, but I am not taking details like that all too serious.

It's not like I am trying to build a complete replica or to "fake" something. It's more sort of a tribute to the real goodwood and maybe to the whole british racing heritage.

And the result looks more appealing to me than a Gentry. That's why I actually planned to do this little "conversion" for years.

Edited by Kobayashi

arran1511

Looks good, you planning on lowering it by about 25mm too? or keeping it high and dry?

Kobayashi

thanks. no real changes planned here.

the car was fitted with Bilstein B4 dampers and Peugeot Sport springs in the front some years ago.
the springs should be -22mm but I guess the front is now -10 to -15mm compared to standard GTI (not Gentry) ride height.
the rear sits a bit higher, because the gentry torsion bars have not been fiddled with. it seems like they have bed in over time however, because the difference in ride height between front and rear is barely noticeable.

naturally, there is considerable body roll and the rear end tends to get loose in tight corners. this is actually quite fun to play around with, but clearly the rear suspension would benefit from stiffer torsion and anti roll bars.

I might even go full 1.9 gti (disc brake beam) when the rear beem needs refurbishment some time in the future.

this car has the 1.6 beam setup, i.e. wide track in front and narrwow track with drum brakes in the rear.

However, this is not a priority, and the car is already quick and so much fun around corners.

fahrwerk-familienfoto_qgsa.jpg

Edited by Kobayashi

calvinhorse

Lovely car :)

RafGentry

Hey Koba! This is a really lovely example of euro spec Gentry. I think it's a time for an update :)

Kobayashi

Thanks for your interest.

Well, yesterday I changed the fuel pressure regulator in an attempt to stop the engine from over-fueling heavily. It seems that I succeeded, engine runs OK now.

Other than that, I am simply driving the car on sunny weekends, starting from as early as february 1st :)

Edited by Kobayashi

Kobayashi

more misc work, more great drives:

refurbished front wipers

17bq2m.jpg

2p9qa2.jpg

3hbjtd.jpg

fiddled with front valance and auxiliary lamps

dsc_0053x1keq.jpg

dsc_0051wujad.jpg

dsc_00552ijqy.jpg

and, lately, hit the Nockalmstraße, one of those fantastic alpine driving roads here in Austria

p8100059_kl6srat.jpg

p8100061_kl5nrhe.jpg

p8100066_2_kls6rfu.jpg

Kobayashi

It's about time to do the annual wrap-up for 2015:

- car got a new catalyser and exhaust

- clutch cable snapped and was replaced

- intake manifold was switched to a plastic one

- some work was been done to dodgy electrics (both cooling fans had failed just the day before a planned drive in the alps with a bunch of fellow pugs)

Apart from that mountain drive with other 205s that I finally managed to participate in, I also hit the iconic Großglockner Hochalpenstraße. This is just fantastic.

p9270102gos5h.jpg

p9270101ebs0j.jpg

p9270090b1ud3.jpg

p92700810ns0z.jpg

Edited by Kobayashi

Anthony

The 205's still looking great :)

How I miss those glorious Alpine roads...

Kobayashi

Hi Anthony, you should totally do this again :)

How bout this year?

Kobayashi

Welcome everybody to the Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI "Goodwood" (No. 1 of 1) :P

finally completed :wub:

IMG_20180609_132809_s.jpg

IMG_20180609_132631_s.jpg

IMG_20180609_132551_s.jpg

IMG_20180609_132531_s.jpg

• Like 2

Daxed

Looks great, nice job.

Kobayashi

Engine, ECU and exhaust system have acutally received some major updates during the last couple of years:
(I will upload some imagery in a minute)

Along with an engine overhaul, the XU9J1 (102HP) cylinder head was ported and airflowed, and compression ratio increased to around 9.6:1.
A Schrick 268° camshaft, wide throttle body and other little mods were added.
To protect the new hardware, I upgrade the oil cooling/lubrification with a sump baffle, 6 bar oil pressure spring and external Mocal oil cooler (you can spot it in one of the earlier images).

I first ran the engine with an XU9JA (128HP) ignition and increased fuel pressure, which delivered good power, low-down torque and throttle response (with that in mind, I had deliberately chosen to stick with the original, yet modified cylinder head instead of a big valve head).

However, in spring this year, I finally went for a freely programmable Megasquirt MS3 ECU. This required an ignition harness from a Peugeot 306, a flywheel from a XU9JA/Z (120HP), a wideband oxygen sensor and quite some additional sensors as well as an almost complete rewiring of the engine bay.
The engine feels really strong now and low-down torque as well as top-end power have again increased substantially.

Finishing touches included a Supersprint exhaust system and 20cpsi catalytic converter.

IMG_20200516_063334.jpg

IMG_20200516_085723.jpg

IMG_20200516_170418.jpg

IMG_20200528_173720.jpg

IMG_20200312_193427.jpg

IMG_20190712_183129.jpg

IMG_20200109_193136.jpg

Edited by Kobayashi
added some images
  • Like 1

Kobayashi

Some action shots of a trackday and another event that I recently participated in.

I am extremely happy with the engine now, but as some of the pictures indicate, the next mods will include supspension (along with brake) upgrades. Body roll is definitely an issue...
Nevertheless, on a narrow circuit, I managed to keep up with that red Toyota (GT-86 with 200 HP) fairly well, and also with some of Cup-Saxos (as long as they used road tyres) ;) 

IMG_0533_kl.jpg

IMG_1502_kl.jpg

205 GTI Supersprint_kl.jpg

Edited by Kobayashi
  • Like 2

Robbiedundy

Lovely car and story :D

cybernck

@Kobayashi Looks like we'll have to throw another regional meet sometime soon! :)

Kobayashi

Recently, i reworked and upgraded the suspension. And by suspension, i mean all of it B)
The goal wasn't to just lower the car, but to really match the increased engine performance with better handling, while taking into account what i learned from my first track day in June 2020 :ph34r:

The following parts list also includes a 4 discs brake conversion with larger diameters in front, as well as a rear beam overhaul.
A lot of the parts were sourced from UK's BakerBM and Pug1off (before Brexit struck).

img_20210307_114322b9k3j.jpg

Stuff that was fitted to the car:
- ST 'X' coilovers (by KW)
- 'narrow track' front axle as on 1.9 GTI (my car had the 'wide track' 1.6 GTI setup before)
- 266 mm front brakes with new calipers (as on Peugeot 206)
- new front triangles (SKF)
- new drive shafts (SKF)
- 19 mm front ARB (donated from a 309 GTI 16v)
- 25 mm rear ARB (from Pug1off*)
- 23 mm rear torsion bards (from Pug1off*)
- rear arms with more negative camber (as on Peugeot 306)
- 247 mm rear brakes with new calipers (as on Peugeot 306)
- new rear beam studs and bearings (Meyle / SKF)
- solid rear beam mounts (Baker BM 'Grp. A")
- steel braided brake lines all around (Goodridge)
- new master cylinder (Pagid)
- brake pressure reduction valve (Wilwood)

* Pug1off states that they use a different material, so their diameters are not 1:1 comparable to OEM items

I love the look of (more or less) shiny parts before they are bolted on to the car :wub:
img_20200927_171338rhjkk.jpg
img_20201108_120910mgjwa.jpg
img_20201108_123512dek7c.jpg
img_20201013_172720bfk3l.jpg
img_20200927_170047qojhl.jpg
img_20201117_190025ngkc1.jpg

img_20210307_114357kbjfy.jpg
img_20210307_114344cfko9.jpg
img_20210307_114509zsjlp.jpg

Edited by Kobayashi

Kobayashi

In my opinion, the car now sits pretty and handles like a dream :blush:

nachherfbk9u.jpg

img_20210529_190442_w8pjdb.jpg

I tried the car for a couple of weeks now both on public roads as on a track day, and here is my verdict:
Steering is much more precise and the car follows every steering input instantly. Entering corners now feels a bit like on a carving ski, while the old setup was the equivalent to an older, non-carving ski (apologies for this metaphore that not everybody here will understand - I'm Austrian :P).
The rear feels much more alive, but very controllable and safe. Lift-off oversteer is still present, but happens later and very predictable. Body roll has been reduced by a fair margin, you can easily tell that by comparing photos from the 2020 and 2021 track days. In total, cornering speeds are considerable higher, with the car being a lot more stable and 'planted'. The brakes also are a huge step forward and offered lots of reserves even on that track day, including the brake bias valve that just does what it is supposed to do. Ride comfort is still OK and not too harsh. I expected worse from the solid rear beam mounts, but they are not an issue at all.

So far, everybody who test drove the car was quite excited - and so am I (just in case you didnt' notice :P)

img_8682siko0.jpg
img_9286yikyx.jpg
img_9267jvjkl.jpg
img_8680ncklq.jpg

I really want to give a 'honorable mention' here to both KW for designing this excellent set of ('ST') coilovers and to Pug1off for their consultancy that i received via e-mail. The ARB and torsion bar diameters that they recommended for my setup are absolutely spot-on.
Similarily, every BakerBM part used (mostly around the rear beam) was a straight fit and worked well for me.
Last but not least, there is handfull of peoble who helped me greatly on this build - they know that without them, this project would not have been possible in this way and I already had the opportunity to thank them on other occasions :)

Edited by Kobayashi

Kobayashi

This year featured a lovely roadtrip over the mountains down to the adriatic coast and back. The car is fun and reliable like never before :wub:

triest53iid.jpg miramarej7e4a.jpg

Saison ending.:blush:

herbst22_web7sczx.jpg

• Like 2