• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
alync406

Which Camshaft?

alync406

I am putting throttle bodies on my 205 1.6 GTi and was wondering which camshaft I would be best going with?

The engine will have a standard bottom end but will have a ported&polished head and the head will be skimmed to raise the compression ratio a bit.

I am using the car for rallying,mainly autocross and want to have good mid range torque so was thinking I probably would'nt want to go for too mad of a camshaft.Was thinking of either a Piper BP285 or a Newman PH3,what would yous think of these? Here is links to them,Piper Camshaft, Newman Camshaft .

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Anthony

welshpug

I think Sandy has used the Newman PH4 cam to good effect in an 8 valve engine, though the final incarnation had a custom design.

alync406

I think that the PH4 would probably be too wild a cam for what I want?

Baz

I'd agree, if you don't want it to be too peaky, a 285 or thereabouts should be good. But even a 300 or so, with decent management & map will probably see it still being pretty drivable.

alync406

Would you rather the piper or the newman camshaft?

Do you think I will need double valve springs?

Beastie

On a quality of workmanship note I'd say you can't go wrong with Newman - I don't fit anything else these days. I always check timing for inlet, exhaust, open and close on all cylinders when I fit a new cam. The last Newman I fitted was a six cylinder and it was near perfect. The accuracy of grinding is simply superb in my experience.

Miles

Another vote against Piper, A company that changes name more than ....., seen quite a few snaped in half too

alync406

Looks like I will be getting a newman cam then.

Thanks.

Matteo

I have a Newman PH1 in my 1.9 8V and I am happy with it.

I think material is ggod as I fittied it without new followers (just polished mine) and they seated properly :D

tony perks

I have used loads of Nerwman Cams in engines over the years and cant fault the quality, the only thing i will say though is that the profiles they offer, seem a little tame when compared to a similar profile (timing figures), by say Kent and Piper, and have sometimes wished i had fitted a PH4 when a PH 3 had been fitted.

djvu205

i just received my newmans PH3 cam for my 1.6 gti and was torn between it and the PH4. In the end i decided to go for the milder PH3 until i have everything on the motor sorted, ecu quads etc. also every where i read said, dont overcam your engine! plus i didnt want to lose too much bottom end power/torque. im still torn and will probley try the PH4 down the track, just so i can determine for myself which feels and works the best for me. deep down i wanted and should have bought the PH4 after now reading some comments. but im sticking with what i chose for now

from what i have read i think you can get away with using std springs on the PH3 but PH4 would need uprated springs and mods.

also i calculated that to get the my compression ratio to a good dynamic rate and keep the engine reliable, it would need a static compression ratio of about 11:1 which is the limit or probley over the limit for pump fuel. not to mention the std pistons apparently dont like it either. in my opion the PH4 would need about 12:1 SCR to get in the good zone.

i would have liked to try the catcams 4900340 it looks like a nice grind but needs springs according to there site.

is anyone running the PH3 grind in a 1.6? does it need uprated springs? my engine is probley another 2-3months of running in car. what sort of power are they getting?

Beastie
I have used loads of Nerwman Cams in engines over the years and cant fault the quality, the only thing i will say though is that the profiles they offer, seem a little tame when compared to a similar profile (timing figures), by say Kent and Piper, and have sometimes wished i had fitted a PH4 when a PH 3 had been fitted.

They certainly do seem that way on paper. Piper are much more generous too - you'll probably get up to 4 different profiles on a 4 cylinder camshaft :)

I'd always recommend phoning Newman if there are any questions - I've always found them to be most helpful and talkative!

Sign in to follow this