• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CharlieBoy

Arb Drop Link Issues

CharlieBoy

Hi, I thought I'd search for this first although it did not prove fruitful.

Basically, when we bought our '89 205 1.6 Gti we were deciding on what to replace and noticed that on the N/S the centre of the Drop link caught the Knuckle joint on the back, where the nut secures the damper into it. As a result, it bent the drop link in the centre slightly. The O/S did not seem to do this but it was 'kissing' the back of the knuckle joint.

The car is now on new dampers (Compbrake Coilover bodies on Bilstein Gravel inserts (250/125) with Springs from Peter Lloyd (I think 200IB) and the Compbrake Spherical top mounts). It still exibits the same problems.

I originally thought that the arms were to blame although they seem to be 205 GTi items and both sides are the same size as either other. Balljoints in them are fine too.

What do you think is causing the drop links to catch the knuckle joints?

Paul_13

Has it got gti6 hubs?

CharlieBoy

AFAIK it's on stock 1.6 hubs (brakes are still 1.6 Bendix items).

I'll get some pics up of the hubs if that will help.

Paul_13

Should help, take some pics of the anti-roll bar aswell. Make sure it's a 205 item not 309, can't see it making much difference though.

Try and take a pic of the front face of the hub, hard I know with the wheel on

Paul.

Alastairh

Take a picture of the problem. It has been known for people to fit the shocks on the wrong sides and the drop links running at the wrong angle and cause this problem.

Al

CharlieBoy

Now with Pics:

DSC_1111.jpg

DSC_1118.jpg

DSC_1123.jpg

DSC_1119.jpg

I'll put the nuts on next time to show how close the drop link is to the rear of the knuckle joint.

Edited by CharlieBoy

Paul_13

It looks like you may have the shocks the wrong way round. The mounting point should be 90 degrees towards the body I believe...

Paul_13

Oops my struts maybe the wrong way round :ph34r:

Edited by Paul_13

Baz

Sorry Paul, they are right! The drop link tabs on the dampers point towards the back of the car. :ph34r:

I've had this issue a few times before, once it was the wrong damper clamp bolt fitted, too long or just the wrong way round, but basically seems that some non-OE drop links basically don't have the clearance needed.

CharlieBoy

Cheers for the reply chaps.

Hmmmm, well these are probably pattern Drop links. Bar the bends they are in good condition. Whilst my friend doesn't wish to reuse them I am semi tempted I hate to admit, considering the balljoints are in good condition

The question is if it is the droplinks (I had this problem when I got the car on the original shocks), which brand of Drop Links are acceptable. From my GTi-6 days I understood that Lemforder Suspension parts were generally a safe bet. In the case of the 205 which droplinks are the best ones to go for or is it a case of going to the dealer?

Jrod

Mine was exactly the same using nearly the same setup as you.

Does it do it all the time or only on full droop?

RossD

I've had the same problem too. I simply spaced out the droplink where it meets the strut with some washers. All fine now!

pug_ham
Should help, take some pics of the anti-roll bar aswell. Make sure it's a 205 item not 309, can't see it making much difference though.

Its the same width as the 205 GTI fron ARB so that shouldn't be a problem.

Most of the time this is caused by the hub pinch bolt being the wrong way round but its right in your picture so that shouldn't be it.

Graham.

CharlieBoy

Well, the issue has been well and truly sorted.

A sort of bodge I admit, but it will do for now. It appears that the car is indeed running on non OE Drop Links. Any ideas on which brands are safe bets? I know with the 306 TRW and Lemforder were considered to be good brands but is it the case over here?

With about 7mm's worth of spacers, the drop links finally clear the knuckle joint. Surprisingly there is still some thread left! I guess the pattern suppliers knew of this problem from the off...

BusEngineer

Motaquip seem to be recommended by most

Miles supplies these so PM him

Ive had a set and they seem very good quality