• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

philfingers

Be3 Clutch Arm Plastic Bushes White Or Yellow

philfingers

a friend of mine had terrible trouble with a box recently, would eat clutch release bearings in 150- 300 miles. It turned out to be the plastic bushes for the clutch release arm on the BE3 were the wrong colour. There's white and yellow.

yellow_white_bush.jpg

In the picture you can see the difference. In reality what happens is the clutch fork is not centred to the shaft but is about 5mm off centre, result, it's wrecks the clutch bearing!

Part No's i've seen bandied about are

2175.20 and 2175.21 but not sure if this is for yellow or white.

So be careful, use the right ones, yellow and white are not the same!

welshpug

always wondered what the difference was!

2175 20 FORK BEARING WHITE

2175 21 SUP A WHITE

luggy
a friend of mine had terrible trouble with a box recently, would eat clutch release bearings in 150- 300 miles. It turned out to be the plastic bushes for the clutch release arm on the BE3 were the wrong colour. There's white and yellow.

So be careful, use the right ones, yellow and white are not the same!

Which ones did he have fitted? :(

SurGie

Yellow or white, which are the better ones ?

welshpug

neither are better, they're just different...

Daviewonder

So are the bushes matched to the release fork?

welshpug

Not sure what the exact difference is, but I'd imagine the length of the fork's fingers are different, the bearings are the same under the 205 listings, though these is a different part number in the 405 listings with a gearbox serial number but no date.

th_be3205clutchreleasefork.jpg

Edited by welshpug

Miles

I have always used the white ones with no known issue's even on my own car's

SurGie

Nice one Miles.

CosKev

My 8v 1.9BE3 box I've just removed had yellow bushes,and the Xsara VTS box has white bushes :huh:

Praying now my clutch release arm will be ok in the VTS box with white bushes :)

Bearing ran up and down the shaft spot on with no friction/resistance,so should be ok B)

philfingers

Yes, it got me thinking that the clutch fork is different and indeed it is. I won't quote figures as i haven't the detail to hand but I took two photographs, on of a 'yellow' clutch fork and one of a 'white' one. There is about 5mm difference in them. If it's not prefectly aligned it will cause the CRB to fail. The guy I know had his fail 2 or 3 times in 150 to 300 miles. It's a road rally car but the clutch is std. I'll post pics when I find my camera!

philfingers

here we go the definitive photo's

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

• Like 3

CosKev

Is this age related fitment do you know??????

Or another stupid Pug part that can be on any age etc :o

philfingers

I think some are post 93, possibly the yellows?

I stand to be proved wrong tho!

welshpug

seeing as all the relevant data was in this thread and was asked about recently I thought I'd add the part numbers and dates;

lower bush/bearing

2175 22 FORK BEARING JN YELLOW UP TO 04/1993

2175 20 BA WHITE SINCE 04/1993

upper bush/bearing

2175 14 JN YELLOW UP TO 04/1993

2175 21 BA WHITE SINCE 04/1993

http://miamistu.co.uk/pug/GB/309F/2/21C05A.HTM

but as shown a few posts up, doesnt matter what the age was, as long as the fork+bushes match you'll be fine.

jackherer

Is the nearly 5mm extra length of fork enough to affect feel at the pedal due to differing leverage on the bearing?

If so that could be useful info for people running uprated clutches with a heavy pedal feel.

chipstick

Had to buy a minimum of 2 of each at my dealer, so if anyone needs the yellow ones, I have an upper and lower spare.

welshpug

Is the nearly 5mm extra length of fork enough to affect feel at the pedal due to differing leverage on the bearing?

If so that could be useful info for people running uprated clutches with a heavy pedal feel.

would imagine most wouldnt be able to tell the difference, and the later shorter fork would be better as its the ratio from the fork to the arm that is changed for the better.

Eliganza

I've used white bushes with an mi16 clutch and 1.9 fork in a vts box...will this result in implosion? lol

Kev20569

Thinking about it I had to lift the fork up a bit so the bearing would sit properly just ordered white one to see

• Like 1

hoodygoodwood

If your shaft has a large J stamped into the top end of it ( early type ) you need yellow bushes top and bottom .The later type has no stamping and has a noticeably different shaped arm - and uses white bushes .

rikky

I have a mixed combo of white and yellow and the slightly longer fork like this (clicky), and it's alright at the moment. I got my kit from NeatCarParts and that's how they supply them, which I'm told is wrong but they don't seem to have changed them ever. I've got a spare set of whites and yellows, plus a CRB in stock incase of implosion :lol:

hoodygoodwood

Colours should not be mixed , looking at your shaft I would guess you need a pair of white bushes as the tips of the 2 fingers that push on the release bearing look as if they are 'short' of the centreline of the input shaft .The shaft looks shiny and new so is probably the later type which needs a pair of white bushes .Do it now while its off the car .

I have seen the set for sale on ebay from Neatcarparts and wondered why it had one of each colour bush .

rikky

Colours should not be mixed , looking at your shaft I would guess you need a pair of white bushes as the tips of the 2 fingers that push on the release bearing look as if they are 'short' of the centreline of the input shaft .The shaft looks shiny and new so is probably the later type which needs a pair of white bushes .Do it now while its off the car .

I have seen the set for sale on ebay from Neatcarparts and wondered why it had one of each colour bush .

The car is on the road and it's behaving fine.. like I said I have parts in stock to fix it when/if it goes bang

I'm honestly unphased by doing most stuff now with this car so taking the box off or engine out again won't bother me. It's literally been in and out about 20 times now in the past couple of years doing my conversion :lol:

Edited by rikky