• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

qwertyuiop7

Air Flow Meter (afm) Part Numbers?

qwertyuiop7

Need to source a second hand AFM and stupidly thought they would be the same for all 205 GTi's so only needed to worry about the condition and price of the unit.

I have done a bit of digging and found out the following

1.6 (XU5J) 1983-90 - Bosch LE Jetronic, OE part number 0 280 202 056 (also fitted to 1.6 litre 309 SRi 83/90)

1.9 (XU9JA) 1986-89 - Bosch LE Jetronic, OE part number 0 280 202 109 (also fitted to 1.9 litre 309 SRi 86/89)

1.9 (XU9JA) 1987 onwards - Bosch ML4/M1.3, OE part number 0 280 202 202 (also fitted to 1.9 litre 309 GTi 88/93 & 1.9 litre 405 88/92)

Firstly is the above correct?

If so are any of the 3 AFM's interchangeable from model to model? Would a 0 280 202 109 from an 1986 1.9 fit and work correctly on say a 1992 1.9 (non cat)?

What are the differences between Bosch LE Jetronic and Bosch ML4/M1.3

Finally if you had a 1.9 built in the cross over years of 87, 88 and 89 how would you know what you had fitted. Why would they fit 2 different types for 3 years???

Thanks again

Phil

DrSarty

Your research looks fine. I gather you got that from ATP?

Anyway: I wouldn't worry yourself about the technical differences other than to say the AFM is specifically matched to the engine/ECU combination. They aren't really interchangeable.

Have a look in this thread, as it shows the 3 AFMs.

Basically the 1.6 has a unique AFM, as does the 1.9 non cat (earlier). The later cat and low comp model shares an AFM with the Mi16 alloy block. Only in that last regard is an AFM interchangeable.

But these AFMs exist on other manufacturer's cars too, such as Alfa Romeos and some Vauxhalls, and they too would be interchangeable providing the part number's the same.

Rich

qwertyuiop7
Your research looks fine. I gather you got that from ATP?

Anyway: I wouldn't worry yourself about the technical differences other than to say the AFM is specifically matched to the engine/ECU combination. They aren't really interchangeable.

Have a look in this thread, as it shows the 3 AFMs.

Basically the 1.6 has a unique AFM, as does the 1.9 non cat (earlier). The later cat and low comp model shares an AFM with the Mi16 alloy block. Only in that last regard is an AFM interchangeable.

But these AFMs exist on other manufacturer's cars too, such as Alfa Romeos and some Vauxhalls, and they too would be interchangeable providing the part number's the same.

Rich

So would i be correct in saying that my 1992 1.9 non CAT would need a Bosch LE Jetronic, OE part number 0 280 202 109 (also fitted to 1.9 litre 309 SRi 86/89) even though it wasn't built between 89 and 89 ?? or is it a low comp model as it was built in 1992, so would need the Bosch ML4/M1.3, OE part number 0 280 202 202.

Phil

DrSarty

The topic/thread I linked you to shows the AFM numbers. Check your engine type ID plate as also shown in that thread.

If you have a cat (DFZ) type, you need a ...202 AFM. Schimples.

It's the year of manufacture that seems to be throwing you, when you simply match to the engine type.