• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest bazpro

1.6 To 1.9 ?

Guest bazpro

hi at the moment ive got a 1.6 in my 205. it runs fine if a bit rattly at the to end. all its got is a k@n and thats it. it punchy enought through the gears but wouldnt mind a bit more go.

is it worth putting a 1.9 over a 1.6?? engines seem cheap enough but is there much difference?

Atari Boy

1.6 vs 1.9, that is the $64,000 question.

Lots of views for both power plants.

1.6 is felt to be more free reving, 1.9 has more tourqe.

Purists feel the 1.6 is the better if the two.

There are loads and loads of threads on the subject on here to read through.

My view, win,win.

zebedy101

I would probably advise test driving a 1.9 first before swapping the engine then you can get a feel and see weather it is a worth while swap. I personally never got on well with my 1.9 i could never master it and get the best from it, it was great fun but just rather lazy. Baz for one will recommend a 1.6 he loves them and seems to really get the best from them.

In my opinion it's down to driving style and preference.

MerlinGTI

just shy of 15 brake difference from factory, so not much.

1.6's had lower gearing in the box and a lighter flywheel, so if you retain these and fit a 1.9 lump it shouldnt be as lazy feeling as a factory 1.9.

The really old 1.6's had smaller valves in the head and I *think* a gayer camshaft.

You will also need a 1.9 ECU & AFM + 1.9 yellow injectors.

If you decide to 1.9 it up, there was a low compression version with the engine code DFZ which are not desireable for the NA route, you will want a D6B. Double check these codes as they are off the top of my head.

Edited by MerlinGTI

steve@cornwall

You need to drive 1.9 and make up your own mind- both drive differently and each has it's own following..

Guest bazpro

well i had a go of a car my mate is breaking that had a skip brown 1.9 in and it was rapid. but had crap tyres and it was wet and just spun its wheels everytime i touched the accelarator. apparently its had alot done to it so cant really compare. was in a different league to mine though.

stegti6

why not go for a mi or 6?

Baz
I would probably advise test driving a 1.9 first before swapping the engine then you can get a feel and see weather it is a worth while swap. I personally never got on well with my 1.9 i could never master it and get the best from it, it was great fun but just rather lazy. Baz for one will recommend a 1.6 he loves them and seems to really get the best from them.

In my opinion it's down to driving style and preference.

Exactly. I'm not against 1.9's, far from it, it's just 1.6's are better straight out of the box, with better gearbox ratios and a lighter flywheel, plus if you have a good one, you'll find it as quick if not quicker than the majority of 1.9's, as you'll find that the majority never make book figures, whereas many 1.6's seem to stay good for longer! It sounds absurd from an engineer's POV, but a 1.9 is essentially a 1.6 with it's legs stretched! :(

It's always good to drive a few different ones, but well set-up ones, because one can be a lot different to another with even something simple as the ignition timing set up properly.

If you're going to change from a decent 1.6 to a 1.9, make sure you find a decent 1.9, there's lengths & bredths between good and bad ones, and if you have a good 1.6 anyway, you may well be disappointed by an average 1.9!

But one thing i'd always do, is run a 1.6 flywheel and gearbox on either engine. The gearbox may be a personal preference thing, but the flywheel is a must IMO!

MerlinGTI

Personally for the same reason I wouldnt get another penis sewn on. In theory its better but its not what God intended :(

Baz

But which...?? :(

;)

DrSarty

Oh now look what you've made me do.

:D

(Click the smiley)

Sign in to follow this