• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Daviewonder

[misc_work] Sorrento 1.9 Interior Overhaul

Daviewonder

Hello all

In April 2008 I bought my 1990 sorrento green 1.9 GTI. It belonged to a friend of mine who had just made some money from the sale of his house and bought himself a Civic Type R. The 205 needed a few bits doing to it, the rear beam was seized, the exhaust tail pipe had dropped off, rear caliper seized and a few other minor bits. My friend said he no longer had any interest in the 205 so he said I could have it for £200. In the end I got it for £180 :)

images5.jpg

Over the next couple of months I sorted out all the problems and got it ready for its mot, this included fully rebuilding and fitting a 309 GTI rear beam, sorting out the engine loom as this had seen much better days, fitting a newer engine, injection and ignition system with only 60k on it out of a 309 GTI, repainting the engine bay, new rear pads and discs and a complete exhaust system. It failed its mot on rear brakes not increasing at same rate which turned out to be down to the compensator valve.

After that I set about tiding up the exterior by reblacking the bumpers using plasticare trim black and re painting the red inserts, then I bought some orange indicators and new headlights for the front and I fitted a GTI reflective boot panel to the rear.

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

And thats how the cars stayed until now with the job of sorting out the interior looming over me.

Daviewonder

So here goes -

The Interior Thread

The interior needs quite a few bits doing to it so I will cover them as I come to do them using this thread.

A few weeks ago Phat205 reported that he'd found a Gentry in a breakers yard and he could get the bits off it that any of the forum members wanted. I knew immediately that there was a couple of things on it that I'd been after for a while for my 205 interior, unfortunately the Gentry was of the gold variety meaning that the interior was beige but I decided to buy them any way (thanks Matt) -

SAM_0388.jpg

Sunvisors with light up vanity mirrors!!! :D

I was going to fit them like this but then a plan formed :)

I started by stripping the visors down and cleaning each part up -

SAM_0390.jpg

I then started to dye the individual parts using my plasticare trim black -

SAM_0391.jpg

I found the best way to apply it was to dab it on using a small piece of sponge -

SAM_0394.jpg

I gave each part a couple of coats allowing it to dry throughly in between -

SAM_0397.jpg

I then waited for them to dry over night and reassembled them -

SAM_0412.jpg

A few before and after shots -

SAM_0423.jpg

SAM_0428.jpg

I must say that im very pleased with the results, now I've just got to do the second one.

I'll upload some pics of them fitted in the car and what else needs doing to the interior soon. :P

dansalegend

Wow i can't belive how well that came out looks awesome!

miamichris

good old plasticare, great job on those visors mate! :)

chrisj21

Nice work ! I have some of these from a xsara sitting in my shed, i'd been thinking of how to get the mirrors in mine, now i know.

Can't wait for the rest.

yeti-dj

haha,this is exactly how i got my black visors

real easy to wire up as well

post-5843-1266701480_thumb.jpg

enjoy

Daviewonder

Thanks for all the comments guys, I'm really pleased with how it turned out. I cant believe I've been beaten too it by Yeti, although they do say great minds think alike :lol:

stee 1FM

looks top dude. great job.

Daviewonder

Today I decided to change the colour of my clock from orange to green as I've always wanted a green one. I started off by taking off the bits of the dash that needed to be removed so I could gain access to the clock.

Heres the clock:

SAM_0480.jpg

Then I totally stripped down the clock by removing the two screws in the back of it.

SAM_0481.jpg

Next I had to get something to change the colour from orange to green, luckily I had something left over from Christmas. (I think I should have used the word budget in the title of this thread) <_<

SAM_0482.jpg

So after a bit of trimming up of the Quality Street wrapper and reasembling of the clock it looked like this:

SAM_0487.jpg

Im quite pleased with the result, now im wondering what it would look like in Blue, or purple, or red B)

A quick before and after shot:

SAM_0484.jpg

SAM_0488.jpg

Thats all for now, Dave :o

Junosix

Hahaa - ace! :)

Para

Davie, that is an awesome job with those sunvisors ! How did you connect the wires ? Is there any existing wiring there or you had to put the new wires ?

The Arch Bishop

I'll take a guess at being spliced into the courtesy/map reading lights wiring Para.

Daviewonder

I've not actually got round to wiring them in yet Para :D but my plan is to splice them into the map light switched live.