• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CaptainK

Wideband Lambda For Dta S40

CaptainK

A short while back I got my 205 fitted with a marvelous set of ITBs and wiring loom and DTA S40 ECU courtesy of Sandy Brown and Colin Satchell (thanks again chaps, they are awesome).

At the time Sandy was mentioning I could use a wideband lambda on my car. Now, I know nothing of wideband lambdas, so I thought I ask you lot. What wideband lambdas do you all run ? Any recommendations on what to use for a DTA S40 ECU ? Also any recommendations on where to buy these wideband lambdas ?

Car Info:

L reg 205 GTi with 2.0 306 GTi6 engine running ITBs and DTA S40 ECU. Car is fitted with a hi flowing sports cat and a cat back stainless steel exhaust pipe. It currently has a normal lambda in place, but not connected to the DTA IIRC. Its purely a road car, but will be used for a bit of fun track action every now and then.

Tom Fenton

I've fitted the AEM integrated wideband and display into 3 cars now. For the price you can get it if you buy from the US of A you really cannot beat it for the money in my opinion. The other bonus is unlike some other wideband and controller set ups that need calibration etc etc, the AEM is literally plug in and off you go, fit the lambda to the exhaust, supply the loom for the gauge with a live and earth, then you have one wire that outputs 0-5v straight to the ECU, and a table in the booklet telling you what values to input into the ECU.

I use one on my 205 with the DTA E48.

My girlfriends Dad lives in the states, so last time I was over there, I bought two kits and brought them home in my suitcase :ph34r:

I've just had a look on the bay, the same place I bought mine from is doing the kit with gauge at the moment for £128, or it looks like AEM have bought out a kit without gauge, if you don't want to keep an eye on AFR in the car, for £118.

Matt Holley

I am also looking into this, I have seen a few use the innovate wideband but it has very mixed veiws.

Stack have just brought one out aswell, its in the new tweeks and merlin catalogue for £199 + vat, Ive not heard any reveiws yet though, I want to get one fitted before mapping.

Edited by matt holley

petert

Innovate controller (and gauge if you like) plus wide band sensor from www.oxygensensor.net . You can either use the gauge, pc software or 0-5v output.

CaptainK

Thanks for the advice so far, keep them rolling in. :D

I should point out IIRC that the car has been mapped using a wideband lambda but then that option was turned off in the ECU afterwards as the wideband was Sandys and not mine. So its just a case of getting a wideband and then plug it in and then set the flag in the ECU to use it *.

* Note: I could be talking rubbish. Hopefully Sandy will notice this post sometime and speak the full truth. :)

Sandy

I'd need to check the settings once it's on. To get it to work at it's best, the control loop needs refinement.

petert

You really only need the wide band sensor to map it. Once tuned, just use a 0-1v narrow band sensor for closed loop control. Far cheaper and you don't need a controller.

sideways danny
You really only need the wide band sensor to map it. Once tuned, just use a 0-1v narrow band sensor for closed loop control. Far cheaper and you don't need a controller.

I agree with that. narrow band should be faster making the small changes needed (unless you start using motorsport grade sensors at over £300 for just the sensor). Wideband is obviously a vital tuning tool, but not needed for daily use

petert

I should elaborate further. If you want wideband, buy the Innovate LC-1 controller for $149 and the sensor from oxygensensor.net for $49. Download the Logworks software from the Innovate site. You can then see the afr's on your laptop screen whilst tuning. No need to look up to another device!

B1ack_Mi16
I should elaborate further. If you want wideband, buy the Innovate LC-1 controller for $149 and the sensor from oxygensensor.net for $49. Download the Logworks software from the Innovate site. You can then see the afr's on your laptop screen whilst tuning. No need to look up to another device!

Still I've had nothing else than problems with my LC-1 and I have 4-5 mates that also have big issues with them, they simply just stop working, blinking errors and generally just a hassle if you ask me.

I've given up on mine now.. just giving out error codes so now I just drive the 205 and don't care about the AFR's anymore ;)

I would get one that's self calibrating at least, saves some hassle.

petert

You do need to treat the sensor like a piece of glass. But that applies to any wide band sensor. I also just recently killed one by having it excessively rich for too long.

Spiky

i'm running yhr LC1 wideband and gauge.

has given me no issues at all was around 190 i think :lol:

fairly easy to wire up, and the instructions are easy to follow :)

CaptainK
I'd need to check the settings once it's on. To get it to work at it's best, the control loop needs refinement.

Yeah, I was gonna bring it back to you Sandy to sort it out. But was just asking what WB Lambda to buy beforehand. Sort of spread the costs a little bit by getting the parts now and then getting you to sort it when I can get it down to you (i.e. when I can drive it :unsure:)

brumster

LC1 here and no problems, but like petert says it's been very well looked after despite only being used once for the initial mapping. I'll probably be slotting it back in sometime soon and checking how things are before the next event...

Like has been said, the only ball-ache for it is the calibration aspect compared to, say, the EFI Technologies control module which is all I've used instead. But then it certainly wasn't the same sort of money as an EFI module would be, so I'm not complaining!

Spiky

mine's been plugged in since i bought it, may09 was mapped using it and i have never unplugged it.

has done a few k's miles and 5 track days :ph34r:

petert

How is calibration hard? Just push the button in free air before you use it.

brumster
How is calibration hard? Just push the button in free air before you use it.

I know, don't get me wrong, it's not hard - not even really a ball-ache as such, just a comment on it versus some of the competition - but like I said, at the price, it's not really a warranted complaint is it :ph34r: !

CaptainK

Thanks guys for all the advice. So from the recommendations it seems the LC-1 & gauge is the way to go ?

http://www.oxygensensor.net/innovate_motorsports.php

Part number 3769 on the page above with this description :

Innovate LC-1 Wideband Controller

Includes:

LC-1 Oxygen sensor

CD Includes Software and Manuals

Bung & Plug

Serial cable to connect to the PC

If thats all good then I'll order it soon. :rolleyes:

Dj_mini

This where i got my innovate from:

the bay

SPGTi

A little plug but if you are looking for a lambda probe and display you may be interested in the dash that I have for sale. Designed for use with DTA S series. Will display all info that you can see on the laptop ie oil pressure / oil temp / AFR / revs / acts as shift / programable warning lights / water temp / EGT etc etc Next firmware update will include data logging.

see Dash

Steve

B1ack_Mi16
Thanks guys for all the advice. So from the recommendations it seems the LC-1 & gauge is the way to go ?

Depends who you're listening too really :rolleyes:

I would get everything else than the innovate.

I think I'll be getting one of these for the new T16 I'm building.

(A few mates have got this one after their LC-1's have failed several times and proved completely crap.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...;category=46100

It's got auto calibration too so no need for the re-calibration all the time.

CaptainK
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...;category=46100

It's got auto calibration too so no need for the re-calibration all the time.

Ahhh.... now AEM is something I have heard about before on the FTO club. I'm just a noob when it comes to Widebands as I've never done any work with them yet and never had to look into them or consider them. I'm assume the specific model number of this one (30-4100) is the specific one I'd need for a 205 with a GTi6 engine in it ? Or are they all the same and fit any car? (my 1993 L reg 205 has a Powerflow exhaust with sports cat with a standard lambda hole shaped and sized for the standard 1993 205 lambda probe)

I'm not looking for anything too expensive really, not even really interested in it having a gauge. Just would be nice to have a wideband lambda working away with my DTA S40 Pro, thats all. :lol:

Tom Fenton

Er, I thought I suggested the AEM at the very start of the thread? Cheaper version without display now available, as I said I use it with my DTA with no issues.

I am also with Black MI16 and would not buy anything from innovate after hearing of many problems from people I know. Maybe they have now sorted their issues, I don't know. But the AEM is plug in and play, I have now fitted THREE of these AEM kits with no issues, one to each of the 205's, and one to the Mini.

All the lambda sensors fit the standard tapping, which is 18 * 1.5mm.

mxcrazy
Ahhh.... now AEM is something I have heard about before on the FTO club. I'm just a noob when it comes to Widebands as I've never done any work with them yet and never had to look into them or consider them. I'm assume the specific model number of this one (30-4100) is the specific one I'd need for a 205 with a GTi6 engine in it ? Or are they all the same and fit any car? (my 1993 L reg 205 has a Powerflow exhaust with sports cat with a standard lambda hole shaped and sized for the standard 1993 205 lambda probe)

I'm not looking for anything too expensive really, not even really interested in it having a gauge. Just would be nice to have a wideband lambda working away with my DTA S40 Pro, thats all. :lol:

I have had the 'tech edge' type wideband lambda recommended to me by Dave Walker, he said he doesnt recommened one over any other for any reason, just that if he was using one thats what he'd have.

CaptainK
Er, I thought I suggested the AEM at the very start of the thread? Cheaper version without display now available, as I said I use it with my DTA with no issues.

All the lambda sensors fit the standard tapping, which is 18 * 1.5mm.

Sorry, I must have been being a bit blind. :lol:

Thats good to know all lambdas are the same size. Thoguht that'd be the case. Thanks :)

Now just to find some cheap places to get these lambda from then (bar the links already linked on here).