• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rubyna

Oil Temp Sensor

rubyna

Have searched but a bit unclear as to what needs doing to get the oil temp gauge working on the xu10j4rs in the 205?

Thanks for replies in advance...

Luke.

welshpug

Connecting the wire to the sender in the sump!

Its on the front of the RS alloy winged sump, or at least is on my 1998 examples.

Flix

You need the late model 205 sensor, has an M14 thread.

Anthony

Just connect the oil temp wire to one of the two pins on the XU10 oil temp sensor, and it works fine.

Some people say that the sensor doesn't read correctly on a 205 gauge, but for what it's worth I'm running an XU10 sender and the reading appears fine and is certainly good enough as a reference.

rubyna
Just connect the oil temp wire to one of the two pins on the XU10 oil temp sensor, and it works fine.

Some people say that the sensor doesn't read correctly on a 205 gauge, but for what it's worth I'm running an XU10 sender and the reading appears fine and is certainly good enough as a reference.

That must be where ive got it wrong then imust have it on the wrong pin as at the moment its not reading at all. Dan Taylor did say to swap them over now

I think about it when he changed the engine over in an afternoon and I needed to be back on the road to Wales sharpish. Cheers for clarifying that up Ant,

diamond geezer.. I hate instruments not working on the dash, pet hate of mine.. Luke!!!

CosKev

Pug part number 0242 81 is the one I've seen people on here recommend :D

Pretty sure its out of a 405 originally

When I changed to the late model 205 sensor, my oil temp difference compared to the old xu10j4rs one, was about half of a "segment" on the gauge (a "segment" being 2 lines on the gauge, sorry for the crap description!). The late spec 205 sensor read higher. Having said that, how accurate the Pug sensors and gauges are is another question, but it gives an idea of the difference in reading of the two types of sensors. ie not an awful lot.

Whilst we're on the subject, can anyone confirm the temperature marks of the oil gauge.?

In the Instrument Panel Explained | by Zoldalma on the main website, the 6th mark shows only "140".

In my original manual it shows this mark to be "150". Of course, helpfully, there are no numbers on my actual gauge.

Is this simply a difference in phases or something?

SurGie

039.jpg

(numbers are 90/150)

Edited by SurGie

HERMAN

Sorry to jump in. Do you know if this sensor is a single wire ring type connection like the early 205 oil temp sender or is it like the Xu10 sender with 2 wires in a plug? I am currently making a new engine wiring loom and I have not got the sender yet but I want to finish the loom this weekend.

Also does any body know which 405s or 205s had these senders fitted as every one in my local scrap yard is on the floor (no wheels) and most are turbo diesels?

Thanks

Neil

You need the late model 205 sensor, has an M14 thread.

CosKev
Sorry to jump in. Do you know if this sensor is a single wire ring type connection like the early 205 oil temp sender or is it like the Xu10 sender with 2 wires in a plug? I am currently making a new engine wiring loom and I have not got the sender yet but I want to finish the loom this weekend.

Also does any body know which 405s or 205s had these senders fitted as every one in my local scrap yard is on the floor (no wheels) and most are turbo diesels?

Thanks

Neil

Its like the 205/309 sensor,ring connector ;)

Part number below,buy a new one!!!! :P

Circa £15.

Or search on Service Box with that part number to find out which cars it was fitted too ;)

Can't see TD 405's having oil temp gauges :)

Prob be off the MI's :)

Pug part number 0242 81 is the one I've seen people on here recommend ;)

Pretty sure its out of a 405 originally

HERMAN

Thats great thanks Coskev I will order one from Peugeot on monday

Cheers

Neil

Its like the 205/309 sensor,ring connector ;)

Part number below,buy a new one!!!! :P

Circa £15.

Or search on Service Box with that part number to find out which cars it was fitted too ;)

Can't see TD 405's having oil temp gauges :D

Prob be off the MI's :D

205*31*

back on this topic my oil temp gauge doesn't work and would like to get it to work on my 1.9 gti i was under car today and noticed what look like a sensor in the sump had a bit of wire coming of it which had been cut for some reason, would this be the original oil temp sensor? where would that wire have gone to, the gauge on dash?

thanks.

CosKev
back on this topic my oil temp gauge doesn't work and would like to get it to work on my 1.9 gti i was under car today and noticed what look like a sensor in the sump had a bit of wire coming of it which had been cut for some reason, would this be the original oil temp sensor? where would that wire have gone to, the gauge on dash?

thanks.

On the rear of sump,drivers side??? :lol:

Thats the standard sensor,the wire runs up the rear of block past the manifold and joins the eng loom on the pass side of eng/head by the cooolant temp sensors in the rear of thermostat housing :ph34r:

205*31*
On the rear of sump,drivers side??? :lol:

Thats the standard sensor,the wire runs up the rear of block past the manifold and joins the eng loom on the pass side of eng/head by the cooolant temp sensors in the rear of thermostat housing :ph34r:

thanks coskev. Can I get a new sensor from peugeot would this be better?

CosKev
thanks coskev. Can I get a new sensor from peugeot would this be better?

Depends if your old one works or not!!!! ^_^

Just connect wire up and try old one first,if no good get a new one for next time you change oil :lol:

To test wiring/guage:earth out the wire that goes to sender with ignition on,guage should go right up to max :lol:

Paul_13

Oops should of read 2nd page first

Edited by Paul_13

CosKev
I used the gti6 one I think, works fine.

Misreads slightly if you read the post above from someone thats used both types ^_^

sebascalderon85

Revive this topic. Can i just connect the cable that goes out of the brown mutiplug to the sender on the sump and it shoudl work right?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Sign in to follow this