• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sub205

Guess What ...

sub205

... this will be when its finished:

test.jpg

;-)

currently missing LED-driving, but its on its way.

Edited by jackherer

sub205
My guess is a digi-dash?

jop, the question was rather rethorical :-p

great addition to my multicolour-plasma-dash.

btw: could someone please correct the typo? :-)

Edited by sub205

GLPoomobile
great addition to my multicolour-plasma-dash.

Lets see the plasma then :wacko:

GLPoomobile

Have you been working on the plasma display for a few years? As I remember seeing similar pics on here a long time ago. Have you got any previous topics covering the build of the display?

madspikes

I want one of those displays, but not to mount there, but to display the same kind of info.

top work that man.

Mad.

sub205
Have you been working on the plasma display for a few years? As I remember seeing similar pics on here a long time ago. Have you got any previous topics covering the build of the display?

jep, the plasma is also my work.

you're talking about this one, dont you?

4_reving_a.sized.jpg

after revisiting my old pictures and plans, i think it would probably be a good idea to design an complete unit without gauges, everything with leds. right now i got the right powerful mcus to do this, my first attempts weren't successful because of the limited power my µCs had.

maybe ... some more months, some time to develop, i'll start something really awful. :blush:

but anyway, this are all parts of a big puzzle, when every part is functioning as expected theres no reason why i should not put all this together in one epic unit ;-)

Edited by sub205

Galifrey
jep, the plasma is also my work.

you're talking about this one, dont you?

4_reving_a.sized.jpg

Loving the way that looks, any more detail on it, how made etc?

sub205
Loving the way that looks, any more detail on it, how made etc?

industrial plasma foil with inverter, laserprinted layout, smd-leds instead of lightbulbs, custom driver circuit to control colours and fade-effects.

nothing special.

omega
industrial plasma foil with inverter, laserprinted layout, smd-leds instead of lightbulbs, custom driver circuit to control colours and fade-effects.

nothing special.

"nothing special"

think its fantastic well done

sub205
"nothing special"

think its fantastic well done

knowing the fact that its just a prototype, maybe yes.

but thats nearly 4 years ago and things need to evolve. :-)

i think the dash-computer is only a milestone in a larger project, i got many ideas that i want to put together. i only spend 3-4weeks per year in such projects, so its a long term evolution. anyway, i wont get dirty fingers!

the version on the picture is already obsolete, i built another unit exactly the same way with a better control logic and brighter leds.

the pcb of the control unit is also a lot smaller this time. but after managing to do more smd electronics, i'll get the stuff even smaller next time.

Edited by sub205

Galifrey

nothing special.

Can anyone translate this to dullard for me :D

Sorry most of that went over my head, so I will deem it beyond my reach :lol:

sub205
Can anyone translate this to dullard for me :D

Sorry most of that went over my head, so I will deem it beyond my reach :lol:

plasma foil, just some foil that lights up when power is applied. this power (about 100 volts ac) is generated by an so called inverter. this one is supplied by the good known 12volts :-)

leds ... i think everyone knows them today, the small coloured lights.

hcmini1989
plasma foil, just some foil that lights up when power is applied. this power (about 100 volts ac) is generated by an so called inverter. this one is supplied by the good known 12volts :-)

leds ... i think everyone knows them today, the small coloured lights.

where do you get your plasma foil from .done a search but cant seem to find any .

hcmini1989
where do you get your plasma foil from .done a search but cant seem to find any .

and was it plasma foil you used to the clocks thanks

sub205
and was it plasma foil you used to the clocks thanks

the foil is from "reichelt.de" and is called "EL-Folie" (electroluminescent foil)

dont know where to get them in england.

these foils are quite nice, you can simply cut out the areas you need for the needles without disturbing the rest of the area.

pugpete1108

sorry to jump in but how the hell does this 'foil' work? is it a case of cutting it to the required shape and adding a current?

that dash looks soooo good i wish i could build one like that :(

Atari Boy

Great project, please keep us updated.

sub205
sorry to jump in but how the hell does this 'foil' work? is it a case of cutting it to the required shape and adding a current?

that dash looks soooo good i wish i could build one like that :(

this foil is some kind of "luminous capacitor", you put ac current on it (from an inverter) and this current flows between 2 electrodes and an isolator with some kind of luminescent material on it.

as i said, the foil can be cut in any shape, as long as the connection to the 2 electrodes stay intact.

if you like this dash, get prepared for the next generation i'm currently planing, its in early design stage and will be a 30x10cm pcb completely with a high performance cpu and a much bigger display, maybe with touchscreen. ;-)

hcmini1989

cheers ive just found some

Para

4_reving_a.sized.jpg

That's unreal ! Looks awesome, I will pay any price to have it in my car ! How did you make it in that way so the hand of a rev is changing colour ? So when I have a little petrol the whole hand will be red ? ! that's mad,

Edited by Para

sub205
That's unreal ! Looks awesome, I will pay any price to have it in my car ! How did you make it in that way so the hand of a rev is changing colour ? So when I have a little petrol the whole hand will be red ? ! that's mad,

The needles are all red until there's an rpm signal coming in, then they're fading to blue.

when they are blue, the 4 needles have special functions:

- oil pressure, water temp and fuel gauge switch to red when the corresponding warning light would go on (the warning lights themselves are not present anymore)

- the revcounter fades to red depending on what rpm is present, turning completely red at ~6000rpm, at 5800-5999 its green (or yellow in my new revision), showing that its now a good time to switch gears

all leds are controlled by a microcontroller with a software developed by me. this software calculates rpm, reads in the warning lights and controls the leds depending on the input conditions.

hcmini1989

hi are you using megasquirt if so have a look at diyautotune`s website theres a lcd touch screen on there . so are your needles leds or plasma foil .

if there plasma foil how have you got them changing so many colours varying voltage?

Edited by hcmini1989

wildejon

Group buy anyone? :rolleyes:

Very cool looking, nice to see someone doing something totally different