• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ian_p

Euro 205's?

stimpysaurus
For the record I don't like any of those looks and agree with the comments that 205s do not suit Euro. They don't modify well in general to be honest.

I agree,

I was really into the euro look about 2 yrs ago before buying my 205, then after I got it I spent a long time photoshopping to see if any of the wheels/bodykits I liked would suit.

In the end I decided that non of them looked right on the car and it should stay as it is.

ian_p

Thanks for all the replies to this. I know everyone has different opinions especially on wheels and respect that. I also like the fact that on this site people don’t pussy foot around and tell you what you wanna hear. Too many idiots on forums will write “yeah put those wheels on, it’ll be dope” just to increase their post count where as here if some one thinks it’ll ruin the appearance of the car or handling for example people will say. This I think sums up the forum as the comments all had explanations and reason behind not liking or liking the wheels which is great.

So I’d just like to say thanks again.

I’ve also remembered whilst exploring the garage that I have 3 sets of wheels to sell just to make space to walk around in there so it’ll be spring before I get another set. At the moment I’m think of getting a set from another Peugeot, to keep it kind of standard but with a twist. One day, I may get a set of small wide wheels. One day that is lol

Ian

oz.

Schmidts look good. Deep dish looks good.

Stretched tyres are dangerous

djinuk

if a 800bhp rx7, 180 sx, skyline etc, which silly silly stretched tyres can go around a track pure sideways im pretty sure a slight stretch on 15s for diesel and 1.4 engined polos really wont cause to many upsets

Galifrey

So Euro look is the equivalent of "barrying" a car on the continent then?

:rolleyes:

Swazy
So Euro look is the equivalent of "barrying" a car on the continent then?

B)

my 205 is in my opinion a "euro look" but i think you can´t put all the styles in europe together and call it "euro look", for example cars in france are shame if you see how much plastic and fibre they use. i saw several cars in france like that, for example a BMW e36 with 406 Coupe front and rear lights :rolleyes:

You won´t see that in germany !

Cars in germany are many times very clean with a lot of details wich are not directly noticeble and the body work is close to the original car.

If you see my 205, there´s nothing extreme on the bodywork, only the front and rear bumper are not original, BUT close to original.

img020ds2.jpg

i just changed the wheels because i thought the 14x8 and 14x7 RSL are way to small for the MI16 engine, but i love those RSL on 205´s in that size i had them

14x8 in front and 14x9 in the back looks like crap on 205´s IMO

bales

Of all the cars there are with stupidly stretched tyres i.e not even remotely sensible I have only ever heard of one car that had a tyre come off the rim...

Seems to be a bit of a myth that lots of people perpetuate, in the scheme of things I would imgine the risks of having a tyre flat or down on pressure when driving gives you a far higher chance of a blowout, do people check their tyres everytime they go for a drive?....no, but people don't shout about driving with a soft tyre being dangerous.

Anything done to extreme is going to add to the chance of something failing but given all the possible problems you could have with things failing on a badly maintained car I would be far more worried about that than a 'sensibly' stretched tyre on a car that probably isn't even driven hard.

Ludi
Blimey they do look terrible!

Hope that piccy has changed your mind?

Agree.

Paul_13

Any body got the picture of the atrocious 'euro' 205 with the wooden grille? It was in Max Flower a while back

That was dogsh!t

Edited by paul_xiii

oz.
Of all the cars there are with stupidly stretched tyres i.e not even remotely sensible I have only ever heard of one car that had a tyre come off the rim...

Seems to be a bit of a myth that lots of people perpetuate, in the scheme of things I would imgine the risks of having a tyre flat or down on pressure when driving gives you a far higher chance of a blowout, do people check their tyres everytime they go for a drive?....no, but people don't shout about driving with a soft tyre being dangerous.

Anything done to extreme is going to add to the chance of something failing but given all the possible problems you could have with things failing on a badly maintained car I would be far more worried about that than a 'sensibly' stretched tyre on a car that probably isn't even driven hard.

Sorry i should have explained that statement. I wasn't on about the way that the tyre could come off, hadn't thought of that - never seen it happen. I was on about the way that the tyre changes shape under braking. If a correct size tyre is used then the contact area of the tyre will increase under braking. When the tyre is stretched the middle lifts under braking - reducing the size of the contact area and increasing the chances of locking up the wheels.

I'm not sure what happens if you put a tyre too wide for the rim on, didn't think to research it at the time.

Cameron

My guess is that you'd end up with a horribly spongy and vague ride due to the wallowing sidewalls.

I don't think the 205 is suited to the Euro look, and it's mainly down to the boxy 80's bumpers and the plastic trim. It has the right lines, sort of, but the bumpers are just far too retro to ever be made to look modern and sleek, no matter how much you smooth and paint them.

I really like the Euro look though, don't get me wrong. I think it suits certain cars (not just ze Germans, mind) really well, but some cars look horrible and give it a bad name. Its nice that we have a style that is uniquely ours, rather than copying the 'states all the time.

Henry Yorke

The whole definition of Euro look is quite subjective now, however it is basically smoothed and low with small wide wheels. It does look good, but as with any fashion it dates, then comes back in again, hence why people pay huge money for Old Skool wheels.

Rob Knights 205 on Schmidts at Pugfest was a real favourite as a piece of styling. Obviously the Dimma 205 is the total other end of the spectrum, yet it is ironic how these are "acceptable". It is a bit like saying you only do celibacy or bestiality and anything in between is just wrong! As has also been said, to carry the look off well, you need two things; an eye for detail and plenty of cash.

The 205 was one of the most cosmetically modified hatches about back in the 1990s, given the number of 205 cover cars in Max Power etc. The 205 has some great curves in the rear quarter that can work really nicely with the right wheel combination. Straight spokes tend not to compliment this yet the 1.9 Speedline does, however as a wheel it look dated as opposed to a classic. This something totally different from the design being iconic withthe 205 and the era.

The 307 Apollo wheel is a modern OEM twist on the 1.9 Speedline and allows big brakes on a 205, but you need a spacer

post-3457-1261097452_thumb.jpg

Arahan

One of my fave pics, and definately pulls off the look :)

The little pic is the original, the larger is after I smoothed it a little more!

EuroGentry-OldandNew.jpg

EuroGentry-OldandNew2.jpg

Edited by Arahan

maturin23

Christ - to me that looks absolutely dreadful - it's those bloody stretched tyres

I honestly don't think in this case it's a purely subjective response - but the wheels alone to me that look like the car is not fit for purpose.

In the 'olden days' (before computer modelling made it easy to test a design before implementation) there was a fundamental approach for the design of sailing boats that said - "if it looks right it will sail right" - in the huge majority of the cases it worked.

With the Euro-look I get a huge sense of compromised function for the sake of form, which to me screams 'FASHION VICTIM'.

Edited by maturin23

maturin23

I made a half-thought-out a reply there - apologies. Been at the office Christmas lunch and I've had a G&T and at least an entire bottle of red :)

Firstly there's no point in me saying that my point of view is not subjective then backing it up with a statement that 'if it looks right it is right' - as you (Arahan) may correctly say " I think it does look 'right' ".

There's also nothing fundamentally wrong with putting form above function if you value the way something looks above the way something performs the task it was designed for, what I think of as a 'fashion victim' is no doubt stylish for other.

My issue with making aesthetic changes as the photo above is that in the case of the 205 GTI it performs the function it was designed for so well, then to turn it into an object of 'style' and degrade its performance just seems wrong. It's the reverse of polishing a turd - maybe wiping a diamond with s*itty cloth? :lol:

I would say in my defence (I'm having a dialogue with myself, I know!) that if a great majority feel something looks 'wrong' then the minority that disagrees will probably have different parameters from that majority, they're not wrong but just 'special' :D and it doesn't prevent the majority from being empirically correct. :D

Edited by maturin23

oz.

I think that car is nice (in the smaller pics before smoothing) but the wheels go just that little bit too wide.

pike_1.9cti

going slighty off topic

Does anybody know what side skirts are on that red 205cti in gentrix photos??

ive never considered changing the outside apperance on my car, but i am fond of those side skirts, subtle little touch

post-11415-1261158922_thumb.jpg

harley
One of my fave pics, and definately pulls off the look :lol:

The little pic is the original, the larger is after I smoothed it a little more!

EuroGentry-OldandNew.jpg

I personally love this look!

Don't worry though guys, mine will be staying standard(ish)

pip470

I love this look too, Great smoothing done from the original. However What is this car actually good for other than looking at. I think that is the main point of not styling a 205, it just kind of defeats the object of having a 205.

harley

i agree, when i was looking for my new car i was temped by the mk2 golf or possibly a fast polo and to be fair they can both look very nice (imo) but at the end of the day they are just soft compared to the 205 and that is just how it is!

Arahan

Oh definately, I love the car and think it looks ace, but i wouldnt go to such extremes with my own.

Galifrey

Those wheels look so gash its beyond belief!

jimbob

I'm not a huge fan of the euro look to be fair i can appreciate when someone has done it well tho and i believe the car in "abraham"'s post has done this well but i think its still the wrong car to do it with the euro look is in my view better suited to some of the newer audi and vw's not the 205 but having said that on seeing the red cti on the bbs's i fell in love with it although i wouldnt have realy called it a euro style car as i would the others

jimbob
One of my fave pics, and definately pulls off the look :lol:

EuroGentry-OldandNew.jpg

Does anyone know what front splitter is on this car??