• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

cRaig

[car_restoration] My Longwinded 1.9 Laser Project

cRaig

Yeah, its a relay from a TX1 taxi, around a fiver off ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LTI-LONDON-TAXI-TX1-FADING-COURTESY-LIGHT-DELAY-UNIT-RELAY-/262023329597?hash=item3d01ceb73d

Its not directly plug and play, as it need a permanent live, switched live, earth from door switches, permanent earth etc, but all of those are available, and easily identifiable up by the interior light. While it would be cheaper to build it out of components, I went for a factory assembled solution, as I figured it would be more durable and reliable than something I soldered up! Also means it comes with a standard relay base fitting, which can be bought and crimped nicely onto the wiring etc.

stufarri

I think I may need more detailed wiring instructions Craig, akin to a 'knob-head's guide to fitting a relay' if that is possible please? Where did you get the relay base from please? Ta

• Like 2

cRaig

Haha! No worries, I'll drop you a PM Stu :)

Well... after putting it off as long as I could.. I've finally finished the Motronic engine management loom! I really, really don't enjoy wiring (being colour blind doesnt help!) but Ive taken my time, worked through it logically, and am really pleased with the results. Once again huge thanks to Anthony and Brian J for providing a guide to mating up the 405 and 205 looms, and info on wiring in a lambda sensor respectively.

21062475534_143962c48e_c.jpg

I was pretty keen to ensure that the loom both looked entirely factory, and worked reliably, so no bad joins/bodges etc. Everything has been recrimped with new pins, and new wires run where they were needed extending, rather than soldering in lots of joints etc.

Shiny new colour-coded plugs! :)

21659076766_5021913b60_c.jpg

I have replaced all of the tired/damaged JPT plugs, and using a cheap 405 haynes manual I bought, worked through all the wire numbers and have identified all of the plugs purposes, to it should be easy enough to fit up.

Some of the sensor wires (oil, water temp & pressure) have been left long and un-terminated, the plan is to do them in the engine bay so they are the perfect length, with no brown multiplug of doom or link loom!

Quite a number of things were in the wrong place for a factory appearance in a 205 engine bay, on the 405 Montronic loom- the ignition amp is at the far, gearbox end, there is a collection of relays at that end too, which I have moved to be inside the car next to the ecu, like the fuel relay on the 205 loom. (Ive also added an extra fuse for the lambda sensor, next to the fuse for the fuel pump)

21498318339_95dbebbe8c_c.jpg

Its even got a diagnostic plug! Although I imagine its a fairly crude output- anyone know any more info about it?

21064162643_1019ce64e3_c.jpg

Ive also canibalised the brown under-dash plugs off a spare 205 engine loom, to reinstate the plugs connecting all the dash/sensor feeds to the clocks, that way it is plug&play and I can remove the motronic loom easily, to go back to Jetronic in the future.

21498325689_15d49b560d_c.jpg

Ive even printed the original wire numbers on heatshrink (gotta love dymo!) for future work/fault finding

21694343881_0e21edbca5_c.jpg

Ive even stocked up on new rigid covers for the single bladed sensor plugs! :D

21685126855_82600e2b54_c.jpg

Mm... motronic.. it might actually work now!

21673706042_4049a9d1ca_c.jpg

And a virtual beer to both Anthony and Brian J and others who replied to the various montronic (or is that moronic!?) questions Ive posted up all of the wire numbers/colours you send over in various guides all tallied up! Without them I dread to think of the state I would have got into doing this! :D

Hopefully will get it fitted, shorten the sensor wires to suit and then get it tested! New tape and conduit then to go on :) Looking forward to firing it up!

Edited by cRaig
  • Like 1

allye

Oh crap! That loom is mine, I just picked up some heated 405 seats for my van!

cRaig

You can have it, Ive already got the wiring in place for heated seats ;):D

• Like 1

acox99

Haha I only randomly come across it. Least it was a useful post for someone.

• Like 2

Silky
While the door card was off, I templated up the openings and replicated the foam sealing sheet, and glued it into place. Another 'finishing touch' I hadn't got around to up until this point!

14978971190_ae618cdcb9_c.jpg

Hi Craig, whereabouts did you get the foam from and what glue did you use?

I need to make something on mine to stop water possibly getting in

Thanks, Michael

welshpug

looks like laminate floor underlay, small bead of tigerseal would do the trick.

S@m

I've bought it as packing foam, can be found in rather large rolls for a few quid on ebay.

Pour exemple; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-20-50-100-200-m-500-mm-20-FOAM-roll-of-JIFFY-wrap-Underlay-Packing-Carpet-/252068732810?var=&hash=item3ab0779f8a:m:m3BVPmS0gy9VdJcCPTwscSQ

I use butyl tape to attach it, but only because its what most newer cars use and i can get it easily from work.

• Like 1

ian65

This is a mightily impressive and inspirational thread...... great stuff, your attention to detail is superb. Looking forward to future updates.

Banjo

Any more on this? Amazing 205

Leslie green

Great thread and will be a help put my laser green 205 back together again.

Slo

A lot of the pictures from the start have disappeared sadly

cRaig

A lot of the pictures from the start have disappeared sadly

Yeah, unfortunately I cant go back and edit old posts- I may see if a mod or admin can help out? Not sure if its possible?

As I've still got all the pics, its just my old imageshack account has now expired.

cRaig

Well, this is not a post I particularly thought I'd end up writing, and its still hypothetical at this stage, I've not fully made up my mind, as I'm just wondering out loud really.. if I were to sell the 205, I'm wondering what spec it would be best to do so?

I'm just not sure there would be any market for the direction Ive taken the 205, as most people are interested in standard cars at the moment, plus there is the benefit of selling off the mods seperately. But how far back to standard to take it? Remove the PAS, back to standard management etc? Back on silver speedlines? Could all be quite a lot of work in its own right.

Been a bit of upheaval in the last year, as I'm in a new job, in a new location etc, and currently looking to rent a garage somewhere nearby in order to progress the 205 (which is very diffcult to find in its own right) but the costs soon stack up, garages around here seem to go for £130-£150 per month for something decent, which quickly adds up.. over 5 years it could easily be in the region of 9 grand! Which would go a long way towards a house deposit etc.. Plus the costs of actually running/insuring the 205.. its all just starting to seem not quite worth it.

Obviously I've had periods of not having a great deal of enthusiasm for it before, but never has the rational option appeared to be to sell it quite so strongly..

Dunno, answers on a postcard? Is it worth the cost/hassle? Anyone wanna buy it? *shrugs*

Edited by cRaig

AndyCrom

Never thought I'd hear you say that!

Still being said tho, knowing the attention to detail you've been putting behind it I'm sure there would be some very serious individuals out there who would want it as it currently is, if I hadn't bought my first house recently I'd be throwing you a serious offer.

There's not many Lazers left out there let alone ones looked after like yours has been so if it comes to the crunch try to sell it as is, if it doesn't grab the attention that I undoubtedly think it will then it may come time to revert back to as near standard can be for the purists.

allye

As soon as you drive it you'll change your mind.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing etc, every middle aged/older chap you ever spoke to would have said "I wish I never sold that car", this applies more than any other time to this car!

cRaig

As soon as you drive it you'll change your mind.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing etc, every middle aged/older chap you ever spoke to would have said "I wish I never sold that car", this applies more than any other time to this car!

Yeah, perhaps. I think in all honesty my regret is that I've over restored it, and gone too far with it. Its very difficult to "relax" and "enjoy" this car, I think a lot more joy could be had from wringing the neck of something rougher and readier. I don't really know what the "point" of this particular 205 is any more. Its not a show car, as its gone away from standard, and and is far away from concourse, but its not really practical enough for regular use/abuse, and therefore needs to be tucked away in a garage, which is just more costs, just to have it kicking around on the offchance I get enthusiasm back for it.

While I was pretty busy last year, according to this thread there hasnt been any meaningful progress on it since September 2015.. which is just taking the p*** really.. Whats the point of having it if its just an ongoing cost while it slowly rots away..?

Edited by cRaig

allye

Bite the bullet and just start using it. Then 10years down the line you get the enjoyment of restoring it again!

Leslie green

No point spending a lot of time and money changing it back to standard for someone else to enjoy either keep it or sell as is.Many people with hindsight say they wish they had never sold cars but that's mainly because they see what they are worth years later when at the time their car was a beat up old piece of scrap they couldn't wait to get rid off !

£150 a month just to keep it in a shed for years to come isn't worthwhile at all ,put it on the road as said and get some enjoyment from it .

GLPoomobile

Don't underestimate the appeal of what you've done to that car! If I had some serious wedge kicking about in my account right now, doing nothing, I would seriously be interested. Would take yours over a bone stock mint one any day. Perfect colour and you've gone the OE+ route which is exactly my cup of tea.

Might sound like a lot of hot air cos I'm skint so it's irrelevent, but I've always admired this 205 and what you've done to it. It's a special car indeed.

Tesstuff

I am interested in it as it is Craig if you want to start a poll :)

pugdamo

I agree with glpoo,I think all the things you have done are things that make the car nice to live with and enjoy as a day to day car, plus they have all been done to such a high standard.

If you want one you can use and abuse you can have mine and I'll have yours lol.

I think with all the work you've done just use it and enjoy it, but I see the point if you've lost the love, just hope you don't come to regret it if you sell it,also I don't think you would struggle to sell it as it is, probably someone lurking on here would have it.

Edited by pugdamo

JamPug

Please don't return it to standard this car is far too special ????