• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

cRaig

[car_restoration] My Longwinded 1.9 Laser Project

Anthony

2. I think I have read other threads that talk about two different horn configuration, with and without a relay. If mine is a standard configuration without a relay will I need to introduce a relay to drive the new horn, or have I remembered this wrongly....(my haynes manual wiring schematic does not show a horn relay)

1.9 GTi models (ie those that came with an air horn as standard) have a relay, whereas base and 1.6 GTi models (that came with a conventional electric horn) don't have a relay. On earlier cars the relay is located on the bulkhead next to the expansion tank, next to the dim-dip relay, or in the nearside front strut box on later cars like cRaig's.

Tom Fenton

1.9 cars have the relay setup as standard do they not??

welshpug

they do indeed.

Slo

What about twin electric horns? Im sure my phase 1.6 f reg cti has a horn relay on it.

mrfirepro

Apologies cRaig, senior moment, meant to post this in the air horns purchase thread

• Like 2

cRaig

No worries, I have recently fitted the horn and its shared information after all :)

un numero d'or

Why did you decide to put Griffe badges on the car?

cRaig

Just something a bit different, its the right colour after all..! Easy to swap back, and it goes with the grey trims, and sl434's :)

cRaig

A little more progress at last! (Been sidetracked by some old British Leyland rubbish..)

Stumbled across a pair of the complimentary front door speakers, Clarion SE 3500, not mega performance, but a significant improvement over the cheap Alpines I have at the moment. Nice to find them unused, boxed and with their 1990s Halfords price label still on them! :D

16599764215_beea3f33bc_z.jpg

15979983113_8f173bd62c_z.jpg

Also spent a bit of time fettling with the stereo link loom I made, and finally got the new headunit working for the first time in the car! Pleased to report it sounds really, really good! :) Finally have a stereo which justifies all the sound proofing in the car! Really pleased with the 6x9s in the shelf, sound surprisingly good for what they are.

18687743646_d61ff8f819_z.jpg

Even the RDS works! :)

And as a last improvement, to complete the system, (as its all about the bass after all ;) ) I have fitted a Clarion SRV250 amplified under-seat 150W subwoofer. Really impressed, a quality bit of kit, and fills out the bass nicely, while still looking suitably subtle, and compact under the seat.

18714054435_8a722b576e_z.jpg

18687735756_165f5917a5_z.jpg

Cant get much more under the two front seats! :D

18709199562_713f9b4632_z.jpg

Now its all been tested, the wiring can be finalised, and the various stereo parts fitted, which brings me a major step closer to refitting the dashboard. Next job is ECU loom, which shouldn't be too bad, all being well..

Edited by cRaig
  • Like 1

allye

I've been looking to fit one of those subs. Do you run tweeters at?

Curios as how to wire tweeters in.

cRaig

No tweeters on my setup, but the ones I have fitted previously to another car just piggy-backed the wiring as it went into the front door speakers. The sub is a really nicely put together bit of kit, comes with a nice wiring loom, good instructions etc. Basically if you head unit has a sub-out you can plug directly to the head unit via a coax read and white cable, or like the old-school head unit I have, it also comes with speaker wire to piggy back a pair of speakers. Certainly for 130-odd quid I would recommend it :)

Edited by cRaig

cRaig

I did consider the 306 system, in fact, I've probably still got a sensor prized off a 306's windscreen and some of the wiring from a scrappy up in the loft stashed away! :D But fortunately, and for the sake of simplicity, I came across an aftermarket Hella Raintronic Kit, new, still boxed with all of its instructions etc.

20949730023_c33a97b860_z.jpg

Its a fantastic bit of kit, it comes with a relay which replaces the intermittent wipe relay on the fuse-board, and then the sensor wiring plugs directly into the back of the relay, so no other wiring or faffing about is required! The sensor is quite chunky, and initially was a bit of a concern, but due to its location behind the rear view mirror, from the driving position (and from the passenger seat as well) it really isn't that visible at all.

21544670836_46abf7886c_z.jpg

21559579112_68190d9386_z.jpg

It seems suitably sensitive (although not sure how much it varies the speed etc) as its quite difficult to replicate convincing rain in the garage with a spray bottle! :D Basically, you turn the ignition on, put the wiper stalk to intermittent, you get one wipe of the screen to confirm its on, then it starts sensing! :)

• Like 1

allye

Easy fit then, great another thing for the list for my van!

Wiring obviously goes through the head lining?

AndyCrom

So whats next, maybe some park/lane assist

cRaig

Haha! I'm very nearly finished now! Finishing touches are auto headlights (which also should come on with the auto wipers..) and a dimmer/timer for the interor light. Mostly installed, just finishing those off now, and will update soon. Then its DONE... Maybe :ph34r:

AndyCrom

Following this thread knowing you'll never be 'done'

That said tho you are setting the bar evermore higher for when I start my stripdown/restore

welshpug

more valves so the poor thing can shift the weight!

:P

cRaig

Apart from the aircon, I really don't think Ive added that much weight! Certainly not more than either a chunky driver, or just having passenger! :P

Juttie205

where can i get that kit from love it.

cRaig

A little more progress, modified the rev counter to work with the Motronic management, thanks to Anthony for the heads up to the guide here.

Gave the clocks cowl a clean and a polish while it was apart with some Autosol plastic polish, has come up nicely.

21603133111_99ce18e662_z.jpg

Just waiting on a couple more plugs to arrive, to finish my engine management loom work, then it can be test fitted to make sure I've got everything in the right place, taped and covered with conduit, then tested! :)

cRaig

Got the RCL working (again!) and the interior light delay/dimmer. Not the most thrilling video, but pleased with the mod, its a relay from a LX1 London taxi :) Still very chuffed with the wipers, think thats up there as one of my favourites (with the rear quarter windows I think..) :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv4red9W4-8&feature=youtu.be

Edited by cRaig

stufarri

Love it Craig! I guess the light delay relay is not just a simple plug in? Have you wired in a relay to the light circuit?

I remember 25 years ago there was a £5 part you could buy that connected to the light switch in the door aperture and had a delay and fade effect. Seems they don't exist anymore though, bugger!