• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

cRaig

[car_restoration] My Longwinded 1.9 Laser Project

welshpug

needs more valves to cope with all the added weight :D:P

• Like 1

allye

Or displacement!

Looking great as usual Craig.

Edited by allye

Reebmit

Looking great Craig, just looked back at your Austin Healey thread! And came across my midget pic and the other red one! Think I have to try and get another next year!! My wife will kill me :) keep up the good work on the pug :)

cRaig

Any firm with the correct equipment will be able to add oil to the system through the service points. Mo need to remove the compressor again! :)

Lookin good mate, I'm loving the attention to detail.

Even though the compressor appears to have come pre-filled with oil? Is that likely? The outside of the box was certainly oily, but I guess that could just be coincidence I guess. Still, good news if I dont have to remove it again, can carry on connecting up the pipes! :)

needs more valves to cope with all the added weight :D:P

I do regret selling Josh's Mi a little still, however, there is something quite cool about a fully specced 8v. :) After all the 1FMs still manage to move under their own weight, and mine only has a few extras on that! :P

Looking great Craig, just looked back at your Austin Healey thread! And came across my midget pic and the other red one! Think I have to try and get another next year!! My wife will kill me :) keep up the good work on the pug :)

God, dont remind me! That still needs finishing! :D The "plan" is to work on the 205 this winter, and get it finished and on the road for spring, then in spring crack on with the midget, with a view to completion for say mid summer.. Maybe.. :P

• Like 1

timoth123

Even though the compressor appears to have come pre-filled with oil? Is that likely? The outside of the box was certainly oily, but I guess that could just be coincidence I guess. Still, good news if I dont have to remove it again, can carry on connecting up the pipes! :)

Some compressors may come pre filled, they certainly do in bigger systems. I'm not sure with vehicle systems though. But if it's been leaking to atmosphere it will have absorbed moisture. Pag oil is massively hygroscopic. Best thing to do is drain as much as possible then replace with new, sealed oil when you get it recharged.

Edited by timoth123

cRaig

That was my thought- drain down the oil fully, as its an unknown quantity, and refill, I have attached a few pages from the Sanden service manual I found online- they show tipping the compressor upside down, and draining the oil out of the large fill plug on the top face of the compressor- hence my thoughts on having to remove it. Is there another way?

Its page 11 which seems most relevant, if you wouldn't mind taking a look! :)

SD_Service_Guide_Rev.2 A.pdf

Cheers

Craig

EDIT: so the best thing for me to do would be to remove and drain down the compressor now, myself, refit it and then the guy I get in to regas can just get started? Would save a fair bit of time I guess.

Edited by cRaig

timoth123

If it has come pre filled, and it seems from what you've described it has then it needs to come off and be drained. Refit it empty and the tech should be able to fill with the correct amount.

The bit in that service manual is for a generic system and working amount the amount of oil if you don't know the amount. Isn't the oil quantity available for the 205 though? Sure I've read it somewhere.

timoth123

That does seem like abit more of a charge than I would expect.

It doesn't match the info I found when I posted offering a service in the group buy, here http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=157656

Can't remember where I found the info now though. Might be worth doing abit more research before committing to Rf and oil quantity.

Miles

Hope you changed the expansion valve and the seals in the heater box before you fitted it, You'll need a adaptor for the R12 inlet as well as not all A/C people carry these now, dirt cheap off Ebay

My system was oiled up and should last a couple of years due to the pipe work, Was a old pump thou but it work's very well, Customer said better than his new BMW, LOL

Edited by Miles

cRaig

Yep, I even remembered to do the seals both sides of the expansion valve! :D Thanks for the heads up on the adaptor though- hadn't thought of that! Something like this does the job I guess? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R12-to-R134a-Air-Con-Regas-Gas-Recharge-Adaptor-Screw-On-Fitting-With-Dust-Cap-/351183917596?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51c431521c

Cheers

Craig

Edited by cRaig

timoth123

Some systems you can remove the service ports, they just unscrew. Might be worth seeing if the R12 ones on the car come off then might be able to replace with a set of R134a ports. Remember though, the R134a ones are different sizes. one for LP one for HP.

Or like the ones you've listed above that look like they attach to the R12 points.

Miles

One 1 Valve on these, the valve is fixed onto the pipe as well

timoth123

One 1 Valve on these, the valve is fixed onto the pipe as well

Ah bugger. Out of interest, which side of the system is it on?

cRaig

Yep, its on the return from the bulkhead to the compressor- the opposite side to the receiver dryer. Its also worth noting that my compressor seems to have two little ports on the end of it- are these more filling ports? The second pic shows the port on the pipe, as mentioned.

15337683228_e0c2188a82_c.jpg

15524340875_245dd11fe2_c.jpg

cRaig

Bit more progress- fitted the new power steering pump and refitted the alternator, so the twin belt run is now complete. There is actually more space around the various belt driven things than I was expecting! The a/c compressor is quite close to the bottom of the rad- I can see now why a shorter 1.6 auto radiator and little brackets to lift it up are required! Quite pleased I had all the various brackets and bits required, as fitting factory options from scratch and working from service box diagrams isn't always that straightforward.

15542338362_322ecfdd9b_c.jpg

15541504215_32cf351273_c.jpg

And also fitted the new horn, compressor and bracket. A little fiddly, but certainly not too bad with the headlight popped out and the rad lifted out.

14920752894_53fe9607d5_c.jpg

Feels like I'm actually getting somewhere now, actually adding bits (and yes, I know.. lots of extra KG's..!) to the car, rather than taking it to pieces! :D

Edited by cRaig

cRaig

Latest really nerdy addition:

One alloy bracket.

15751675318_e5e9280fc0_c.jpg

Artfully bent into shape.

15753076119_10785d4af2_c.jpg

Wrinkle paint finish (to match boot carpet) and a genuine pug boot tidy strap (7568.Y3)

15751822770_dcb6fc45fa_c.jpg

Attached to the bracket bolts holding the cd changer in place.

15751813120_4ecbca3ef6_c.jpg

And finished off with a genuine peugeot first aid kit! Sad but... well. there we go :P

15316853904_75baa9cb53_c.jpg

15913304716_96ba3e5257_c.jpg

Now Ive got some leftover sheet alloy I can make a bracket for the trip computer control box, and carry on wiring that in.

cRaig

Test fitted the plastic inlet manifold, in order to sort the fuel lines, as unfortunately the inlet outlet size is larger (10mm hose) rather than the metal fuel rail's 7-8mm.

15426136443_9cf5090fa9_c.jpg

Ive ordered a larger banjo for the top of the fuel filter, and have replaced the hose run to the rail, the other I have put an brass inline adaptor in, just waiting on some fuel clips. Have also fitted the fuel hose clip for the plastic cambelt cover, holds the pipes in place nicely, although its not really designed for the larger pipe.

15426134313_af87af20cd_c.jpg

Engine bay is filling up nicely! :)

16043830641_469d4e51fd_c.jpg

Wasnt sure about the plastic manifold to begin with, but I think it looks quite smart, particularly with the peugeot lion decal :D

Have also wired in my new earth point on the steering column. Ordered a bunch of pug terminals in various sizes for modifying/improving the wiring:

15858505490_17e54750ef_c.jpg

15859740949_fc01f4ef5e_c.jpg

Fuel computer control box now bolted to its new alloy mounting plate and fifted into the car- behind the gear lever in the void under the centre console. Will also fit the relays for the heated seats to the bracket, and leave a USB cable down under the coin tray in front of the gearchange/ behind the cubby flap to update/modify the fuel computer

15426131553_43ff02ddb4_c.jpg

Now I can crack on and wire in the trip computer fully (and test it!! :D), and finish off making the cabin filters, looking forward to fitting mine now all the aircon components are in :)

31308165788_1f8e557094_c.jpg

44271177895_1894a19f76_c.jpg

Edited by cRaig

Anthony

Did you want the HT lead holder that is meant for the coilpack equipped XU 8v's or have you got one, as I can see it's not fitted in the above pictures? It's shorter than the dizzy model one but same fitment.

I've got a spare one here that I removed from a 405 in the scrappy if you want, call it thanks for chasing up the missing plating bits.

cRaig

Interesting, no I don't have said lead holder! Ive got a short, metal bracket which I stumbled across on service box when looking at the HT lead setup on the volcane. Ive not seen any fitted in any of the pics I have seen, its clearly the 'right' part for the thermostat housing, as in it lines up and bolts to it, but Im not sure if it should have the shorter plastic lead holder instead/as well as? Would certainly be interested in fitting it to find out :)

16022091586_7caac12b67_c.jpg

calvinhorse

CRaig your car must weigh a ton with all the extras!

Edited by calvinhorse

cRaig

The plastic manifold is lighter! I'm sure that helps to offset the extra weight of all the other stuff..! :ph34r::D

welshpug

needs more valves or boost :P

• Like 1

Anthony

Interesting, no I don't have said lead holder! Ive got a short, metal bracket which I stumbled across on service box when looking at the HT lead setup on the volcane. Ive not seen any fitted in any of the pics I have seen, its clearly the 'right' part for the thermostat housing, as in it lines up and bolts to it, but Im not sure if it should have the shorter plastic lead holder instead/as well as? Would certainly be interested in fitting it to find out :)

As far as I know, that's the type fitted to 1.8 and 2.0 injection models with the air filter integrated into the cam cover (306 and 405 amongst others).

The 1.9 Volcane, some late carb models and at least some of the injection models with a conventional air filter assembly (e.g 806) use a HT lead holder that's much closer to the standard 205/309 GTi one, just shorter and different shaped to take into account the coil and different routing of the leads. It attaches in the same way as the 205 one and doesn't use the bracket you've got.

moteur.jpg

Lousy picture, but you can just about see it on that LHD ZX Volcane.