• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

cRaig

[car_restoration] My Longwinded 1.9 Laser Project

cRaig

Hi Craig
Pictures look good, I was going to suggest we could park my laser 1.6 next to your laser at Pugfest, however looking at the pics I am not so sure now, as it will make mine look shabby!

Rack is ready for courier tomorrow

Thanks
Tom

Yours is very, very original though.. mine never had that going for it in my ownership. Its somewhat of a triggers broom now, and that will always put some people off it tongue.gif How are you getting on with the rear/boot floor repair on your laser btw?
Looking forward to trying the rack smile.gif

Postman has been kind this afternoon, so a few steps closer in collecting the remaining bits that I am missing.

33065282884_db486d5909_c.jpg

Injectors serviced and returned from Madprofessor. Would certainly recommend his service smile.gif

33095726043_67e8b80ece_c.jpg

Stainless steel Mikalor hose clamps in a variety of sizes for the lovely baker bm hoses

33908500795_8ebd2f0b4a_c.jpg

33752049242_70c95c86c7_c.jpg

Mocal stainless steel braided hoses for the rear brake set up.

Just waiting for the last few bits of zinc plating to come back, the dizzy to be returned from H&H, and to sort out the exhaust centre section. After that I more or less have everything, and can really crack on with progress smile.gif

Edited by cRaig

GLPoomobile

I'll echo everyone else in saying what an impressive effort this is :)

It's so nice to see someone take the time to make the brake lines straight in the engine bay. It really is a pet het of mine, when you see people go to a lot of expense and effort in their build but then they don't bother to straighten the brake pipes properly when they fit them <_<

My only two concerns are

1 - Keeping the brown sensor loom connector. It'll last a good while no doubt, but can't help feeling that's a missed opportunity for a fairly critical reliablity improvement.

2 - Priming the inside of the metal water pipe. How confident are you that the paint has taken for one thing? Possiblity of it flaking and bunging up waterways? And don;t forget that primer is porous anyway so it's not actually going to protect the inside of the pipe.

cRaig

Mm, I did debate getting rid of the brown connector. I think I will prob make a small 'plastic bag' like the earth covers/dizzy bag to protect it a little more. Ive never experienced any problems with the actual multiplug, it was only the brittle and corroded wire actually going to each of the sensors which was a problem on mine.

The pipe has been acid etch primered (to ensure adhesion, and then finished with a plasticote 'metal protetk' finish, so its not just primer, that was just a bad write up on my part. Will have to see how it goes really.

Still, I feel Im doing ok if they are the only criticisms leveled at me so far.. :D:P

Edited by cRaig

Daviewonder

You and Fenton make me sick with your flawless Laser greens. :lol:

Tom Fenton

Mine really is nowhere near flawless, it is good and original yes, but not perfect.

Miles

Another handy hint, Rear lines just use the 2 over the beam and not to the callipers which can be normal solid pipe, Less joins and less chance of rubbing on the body

cRaig

Managed to crack on and get a little bit more done on the 205 in the last few days. Got the plastic gearchange blocks from pug, so have finished off the gearchange. Absolutely no slop at all now, very impressive.

33116269164_8c0ea43c8e_c.jpg

Tom Fenton kindly rebuilt the steering rack with new bushes, pug track rods and gaiters. Nice and tight, and gave it a lick of paint and fitted some lemforder track rod ends, which should hopefully last, the last ones I got from a motorfactors were crap, and didnt last 10 months.

33802418592_14e618d905_c.jpg

33116500534_d5398ff1f4_c.jpg

Now the suspension is entirely finished, I put it back on 4 wheels for the first time in months, and pushed it outside for a wash smile.gif

33918807246_84895bd6a5_c.jpg

I had almost forgotten just how shiny and how much flake is in the paintwork! biggrin.gif

33918683116_e4dcd4b7f2_c.jpg

33959873545_01c9046fd5_c.jpg

33116413094_00e0a84160_c.jpg

33116316284_f59dc5fe28_c.jpg

biggrin.gif

Hope to carry on tomorrow and next week, running the rear brake lines, fitting the fuel tank and fitting the exhaust (on order from peugeot! not cheap, but it I wanted the correct spec one)
Then most of the engine bay mechanical stuff is finished, just a little plumbing to finish.

Edited by cRaig

oli-pug

Wow, i'd completely overlooked this thread :blush: Stunning work so far i have to say, love the attention to detail. No stone left unturned comes to mind!

Thanks, you've really really made me want to buy a mint original 205 now.

sensualt101

i can only echo what others have said about this rebuild and i am in awe of your efforts and attention to detail. having seen this car featured in a mag and what happened afterwards i am frankly amazed that you have had the shell rebuilt using all new parts! i only hope i can find the resolve new oem parts and of course the cash to get mine in to as new or better condition as you have with yours. this thread and many others are a real inspiration and incentive to do my own car justice! and i thought that i was a 205 gti nut? lol! well done fella! :)

cRaig

After much debating about which exhaust to go for, being quite keen to retain the original 4-2-1 spec of the OE exhaust, I decided to stump up for an exhaust from Peugeot themselves, as my dealership are quite helpful and offered 25% discount on the exhaust. Took a while to come in as it was on backorder in France, but it was worth the wait as it is still the OE spec ECIA exhaust with the correct downpipe.

33782727532_8f93c947ae_c.jpg

33096797544_3017679406_c.jpg

33555016390_5dcb81b2ff_c.jpg

Fitted H&H refurbed dizzy, looks nice and smart, and hopefully should mean all of the injecton/management of the engine is running top notch, as everything has now been refurbed/replaced, as previously the running of my 205 was pretty dog rough, and there were many contenders as to why it was only making 60bhp at the end! Even got a dizzy protector bag from pug for added originality!

33782658812_1e1fb312aa_c.jpg

33939942015_95f553f632_c.jpg

For extra bonus originality points- spot the bobbin (or elastic bracket as the frech prefer!) fitted to the oil filler housing.

Have also been extra geeky and fitted the 'strut protectors' to the top of the damper rod protruding through the nut on the strut towers, and have ordered a set of battery terminals clamps even though most people aren't their biggest fan lol.

30245575147_bcd40306bf_c.jpg

43370048180_1c3c297af3_c.jpgIMG_3067 by cRaig&#x27;s205, on Flickr

Have started cleaning up the oil to water heat exchanger, mainly to act as a remote oil filter housing due to the lack of room at the front of the block due to the air con system being installed, and also because the twin fan setup makes the 1.9 oil cooler redundant. Was missing the brass sandwich plate adapter, but fortunately Peugeot had that- am going to get a new silicone top rad hose from Baker BM hopefully as the original is starting to look a little tired and like it may split soon. New seals are on order, and the pipes will be given a good clean up before fitting.

45184312771_f25fa55752_c.jpg

45184317871_00f71629db_c.jpg

Have made a start fitting the engine bay twin fan wiring and aircon loom, its going surprisingly much better than I imagined it would! Most things are apparent as to where they go and what they do, and am only missing the odd one or two wires to complete the loom. Once I have it all figured out, it will be neatened and contained within the normal loom trunking/routing around the bay.

45184341311_85fbfbaf5b_c.jpg

Engine bay is starting to look a little more complete now, only a few odds and ends I am waiting for, like the fuel filter bracket, and alternator adjuster setup.

Have begun to prep the bumpers (I went for good second hand bumpers rather than new, as I couldn't find a decent supplier of heavy grade bumpers like the original spec) for fitting as Im fed up of it looking like a sheddy project, and with the bumpers on it looks should start to look a lot more complete. All of the rusty original brackets and T bolts were carefully angle-ground off, and have been cleaned and are being plasticared, with only 1 small bit of damage around a T bolt hole that needs attention on one of the bumpers. Have got most of the parts needed to refit them, a few brackets which got quite bent in the accident are on order from pug, and all of the nuts and such I have ordered stainless steel replacements to try and prolong their life.

30245630737_c474c6d89d_c.jpg

I know this isn't the most exciting of updates, but sometimes it feels like I am banging my head off the wall with the lack of progress with the 205- often it feels like it will really never be finished, and its only when I read through this thread, can I really see any progress from one month to the next. Plus the comments of encouragement are always nice, thanks guys smile.gif

One of the last decisions/parts being researched is now tyres, as more or less everything else is sourced! I think its pretty much been decided on Michelin Pilot Exalto 2's, I just need to find the best price and someone I trust to go near my new SL434s, which are still cluttering up my bedroom at home! biggrin.gif

Edited by cRaig

Wes

excellent thread. what psi is the coolant cap?

cRaig

16psi which is around 1.1bar, compared to the standard 1bar, I figured it was close enough :)

Tom Fenton

I have bought the Michelins from Costco if there is one near you.

cRaig

Have spent a fair bit more time cleaning and plasticaring the bumpers. Dug the valances out of the loft where they have been hibernating for some time and reunited them smile.gif

I do enjoy having an empty house, means I can sneak into the conservatory, as its far too cold in the garage at the moment! biggrin.gif

33554315680_f7602c6741_c.jpg

33808795371_515167e1e7_c.jpg

Im pretty pleased how well they have come up for second hand bumpers smile.gif

33809019871_55a2c0e772_c.jpg

The galv brackets have been zinc primered many times, gloss black and then lacquered to try and prolong their life. All of the fixings (where possible) have been replaced with stainless steel alteratives, including the nuts for the T bolts etc, and the the socket head SS bolts in the pic above, should be easier to get undone than the torx stuff in the future.

A few bumper brackets are on order from Peugeot (pleased they are all still available) as they got mangled in the accident. Once they arrive (and Mr Fenton's new washer/spacer widgets biggrin.gif) I can fit them on the car smile.gif

Going to put French style pressed number plates back on, as I didnt have any trouble with them before, and as pretty much the only external modification from standard, I quite like them smile.gif

Edited by cRaig

tom_xl

Just read this whole thread, this is one of the best car restorations I've seen amazing attention to detail! Nice to see you saved it after the crash too it's looking really good. Given me some nice ideas for my project too ;)

cRaig

This update is mainly Daviewonder's fault tongue.gif

Generally I wasn't happy with my second hand missmatched light clusters, had one axo and one valeo on the back (one of which was cracked) and my front lucas/valeo headlights looked a bit rubbish, as one was clearly much newer than the other. Noticed carparts4less did all clusters at a pretty reasonable price, so snapped them up, along side some new moderately decent spec osram headlight bulbs.

33778538081_2c03781d62_c.jpg

33523319050_554f84b9e3_c.jpg

Also found up in the loft (not a hoarder.. honest.. biggrin.gif) my headlight protectors, which now justifiably can go on my brand new light front lights, although im pretty sure it would be easier to replace the headlights rather than the protectors! biggrin.gif
Got them from a chap on pistonheads who said they were only fitted to a dealership display car back in the 90's and stored ever since. They certainly look very good, with only a few scratches which should polish out.

33523128500_73d183eb9c_c.jpg

33867156286_477d2c7246_c.jpg

I shall now go and brave the cold and get them fitted smile.gif

Edited by cRaig
  • Like 2

Tom Fenton

How much were the rear light units Craig? What make are they?

cRaig

They are Valeo, and a smidge under 30 quid from carparts4less (still come with Eurocarparts stickers on the boxes, but are 15 quid cheaper each!) Link

Free delivery on everything as well.

Tom Fenton

Bugger it, there goes £60, I blame Daviewonder!!!!!!

• Like 1

cRaig

haha, thats the sprit! at that price I didnt think it was worth buggering about trying to find decent second hand ones

Tom Fenton

No agree totally, I have an odd pair with one bust on my laser, I've been trying to track down a good second hand one for a few months now with no luck.

cybernck

I can look at this thread over and over again and never get enough of it.

The work you've done is pure perfection and it can easily serve as a 205 restoration guide :).

Keep up the good work!

cRaig

Thanks :) Im really enjoying working on the 205 at the moment, making visual progress and mainly having all the bits needed, as quite often Ive found lack of a bolt/oil seal/ bumper bracket etc can really slow progress to a crawl, just for the sake of one small bit needed to do it properly!

Sadly university is going to slow down progress alot from next week as I start my masters degree, still I hope to get a little done in evenings and weekends, and still remain hopefull that it will be finished for pugfest this year.

Rear bumper is fitted and looks really smart, I was always slightly worried it wouldnt fit back properly due to the new quarter and corner bumper brackets (as they both bore alot of the brunt of the bumper being torn off in the accident) still, the bodyshop have worked their magic and it fits really well. I'll get some pics later as its rather cold in the garage at the moment!

Craig

Weser

To repeat what has been said by everyone else i am in awe at your dedication everytime I read this topic. I cant stop checking it out its a great documention of your retoration and i really enjoy the read.

I wish I had the determination and dedication you have to get my Laser into a standard even half as good as yours.

Its a great effort and hopefully I can see it in the flesh at somepoint!

cRaig

Trying to type this with frozen fingers lol.

Fitted the new rear lights, and I wouild certainly recommend new lights rather than second hand from now on. The difference in vibrance of the reflector is very surprising, I imagine coupled with clean new lenses it will make quite a difference to the visibility of the rear lights at night.

33751967482_97484049fc_c.jpg

Fitted the rear bumper, and have got it more or less adjusted as I want it- the rear tailgate needs adjusting on its hinges, so thats why the back end doesnt look perfectly square, but I think I'll let the bodyshop do it, as they are much better at panel gaps than me!

33867115556_95289696f8_c.jpg

Back end is more or less finished now, fitted the rear number plate, and fitted the front one to the bumper in antipation of fitting it, think they look nice, clean and smart. I do like the frech style pressed plates! smile.gif

33523413370_1410268ebc_c.jpg

33065039074_228ab534c5_c.jpg

Would have got more done, but its just too cold, dont like working on it with clumsy fingers, something may well get damaged!

Craig

Edited by cRaig