• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

cRaig

[car_restoration] My Longwinded 1.9 Laser Project

cRaig

Well, I have finally started putting the car back together.

Started with the front suspension. New top mount kits from Peugeot, sandblasted original springs, then coated with plasticote to protect them. New Bilstein B4 dampers from Miles.
New Motaquip wishbones & droplinks.

33118070334_38fe7b194d_c.jpg

Engine bay cleaned, and the scratches and paintwork damage touched up. Started fitting the new stickers from the group buy biggrin.gif

33920532006_595f17cd6c_c.jpg

33920493396_a8b63e7018_c.jpg

33118148014_0890f69fe0_c.jpg

Powdercoated subframe, and ARB, new peugeot ARB Bushes fitted.

33593580360_b77a955dfa_c.jpg

Servo removed, cleaned and painted, new 406 Master cylinder and 205 reservoir fitted. Hope to run the brake lines over the weekend.

43370159490_4488c2f402_c.jpg

New clutch and accelerator cables fitted, just putting off doing the speedo cable!

Cleaned & painted the inlet manifold, all bolts etc zinc plated, looks quite smart I think smile.gif

43370163330_d12516632a_c.jpg

Getting closer to putting the engine back in smile.gif Its just taking a while to get everything clean and just how I want it along the way smile.gif

Also got the doors built up (mainly to get the doorcards out of the way lol) with 405 one touch windows wired in and working smile.gif

44273321675_6f02a51525_c.jpg

Rear quarter panel re-soundproofed, and interior rear plastics reassembled.

44462097274_c162d7d665_c.jpg

Visible progress feels good!

Edited by cRaig

Tom Fenton

I'm not sure on the rear headrests, but the rest looks A1.

Did the car originally have air-con?

cRaig

Nah, Im fitting the aircon myself.

james_pug

Looks amazing great attention to detail way more than I could be bothered with!, is there a cut out in the inner wing infront of the engine mount?

cRaig

Thanks :) The cut out on the innet wing, is for part of the air con system, the gas collector/reciever pokes through the wing, Part of the pressing on a standard GTi inner wing is cut out to form the hole.

ash mi16

looking good dude :)

cRaig

Well, no interesting pictures today, but managed to get quite a bit done. My mate ran all of the engine bay brake lines, so they look all nice and shiny :) And the gearbox and engine are now mated back together, with a new valeo clutch, and a 1.6 flywheel inbetween :)

The to do list, for the rest of the year stands at:

Fit Headlight adjusters

Get the steering rack refurbished

Reassemble the gearlinkage with Baker BM gearstick bush, L linkage bush, short shift 'L' bracket, and Miles' gear rods.

Finish cleaning, testing, and recovering the wiring looms, with new trunking etc.

Finish sorting out all the heatshields & run new fuel lines front to back.

Then put the engine in :D

If I can get to that stage by the new year, I'll be happy, as it clears alot of space in the garage, having the engine in the bay!

feb

Looking good Craig, great attention to detail, it will be better than a new car when finished.

I would agree with Tom about the head rests though.

Edited by feb

cRaig

Mm, I quite like the headrests, I think they look better in the flesh when the whole interior is in.. but fortunately Ive got the "spare" original seats up in the loft, so they can be swapped back :)

Daviewonder

I like the headrests and would like to fit some to my 205. Do you show how you did it in this thread? I did read through about a year ago but can't remember.

:)

cRaig

I like the headrests and would like to fit some to my 205. Do you show how you did it in this thread? I did read through about a year ago but can't remember.

:)

Notice your stickers worn with pride! :D Yeah, Im pretty sure there are pics in this thread, its basically a bent piece of bar making a slot for the headrest to slide into, therefore no adjustment. If i was doing it again, i would get the proper bit of metal out of a scrappy 205 seat I think, so the headrest "clicked in" properly.

Daviewonder

Yeah I saw the stickers, looking good ;)

I'll have a read through again later once the Littlen is asleep :)

cRaig

More progress at last. Spent my birthday putting the engine and beam back on smile.gif

33148256963_a58b21f830_c.jpg

33920298566_9f9e5aa0ee_c.jpg

33920292326_8be549c045_c.jpg

Shame about the crap mobile pics, but you get the idea smile.gif

The gearlinkage is so vastly improved. The new bushes and the short shift L bracket have made it such a positive, mechanical snickety change biggrin.gif

Edited by cRaig

maxi

This is probably THE BEST restoration effort on here. Big thumbs up!

Maxi

• Like 1

Lan

this has got to be better than when it rolled of the production line

cRaig

Haha, thanks, what i lack in skill I make up for in determination :P

cRaig

Managed to get quite a bit more done in the last few weeks, mainly researching and buying all the bits I had put off (student loan has recently arrived.. biggrin.gif)/forgotten about. As I speak the dizzy is being refurbed by H&H, MadProfessor has ASNU cleaned and serviced the injectors, and Mr Tom Fenton has refurbed the steering rack, with new oilite bushes replacing the no longer availaber bearings.

While all that has been going on in the background, I have been working on the engine bay mainly, finishing cleaning, testing and recovering all the looms, resoldering and heatshrinking where necessecary.

33803242162_36a45a97d0_c.jpg

33147654873_9a516df905_c.jpg

Bought few new smart things-a Stant racing expansion cap, has a little lever which releases any pressure down the overflow before you can take the cap off (learnt my lesson after getting a facefull of hot coolant.. tongue.gif)

33920167956_35b97e24d5_c.jpg

33920107146_976dcc3dbb_c.jpg

New braided hose to smarten up the engine bay

33919724616_5eac51ef3a_c.jpg

Cleaned and UPOL plastic painted the fuel tank. Coupled with powdercoated ring and zinc plated bolts, and new fuel hoses it looks quite smart.

33576060710_55d38f0609_c.jpg

33117653214_dd547e314d_c.jpg

Mostly remade the 'brown multiplug of doom' sensor loom, fortunately my plug was actually in remarkably good condition, so have kept it, just with new wires, spade connectors and re-taped/covered.

Same process for the other mini looms in the engine bay, but was more cosmetic work and cleaning connectors, as the looms havent had as much of a hard life as the sensor loom

33147839723_1fdd63dd34_c.jpg

33117490304_655f462386_c.jpg

Edited by cRaig

cRaig

Sandblasted, tig welded to sort the usual crack, and ceramic coated (by camcoat in warrington) exhaust manifold fitted. Finished off with stainless steel studs, and stainless lock nuts. New peugeot exhaust gasket kit. (just got the main exhaust section to buy now..)

33147385613_90456a3d6a_c.jpg

33117041784_9e6a984edb_c.jpg

Front suspension finished off, with a pair of driveshafts off a 50odd thousand mile pair, only needed a good clean, zinc prime and paint. (even fitted the little balljoint protectors on the wishbones! tongue.gif)

33830688581_8f4c6a91fa_c.jpg

33919475166_f2c7228092_c.jpg

The good old rusty water pipe has had many coats of primer inside and out, and then finished with frosts steel paint, and some stainless steel socket head screws and washers to secure it.

33117083004_c5db8627f7_c.jpg

Shiny brake lines run smile.gif

33117091344_3fc4b46843_c.jpg

33147989973_564475ce23_c.jpg

Alot more still to do, but now progress is fairly visible, I feel alot better about it. Here's to a finished 205 this year! biggrin.gif

Edited by cRaig

Miles

Looking good, Quick tip on the loom, the oil temp wire is worth wrapping or using a some heat resistant tube, I tend to do the same with the main loom out of the bulkhead thou nothing like OE but it keeps the heat off the wires

dave205

Were did you buy that braided hose from and what size is it?

Stunning attention to detail aswell btw! It'll be better than when it left the factory?

feb

Fantastic attention to detail Craig, probably the best original 205 in here!

cRaig

Thanks guys :) Its nice to have a bit more enthusiasm for hte 205, and really push it forward.

Were did you buy that braided hose from and what size is it?

Stunning attention to detail aswell btw! It'll be better than when it left the factory?

The hose is standard braid over rubber 9mm x 14mm hose, bought from this chap on ebay

Tom Fenton

Hi Craig

Pictures look good, I was going to suggest we could park my laser 1.6 next to your laser at Pugfest, however looking at the pics I am not so sure now, as it will make mine look shabby!

Rack is ready for courier tomorrow

Thanks

Tom