• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

cRaig

[car_restoration] My Longwinded 1.9 Laser Project

Kroged

Looking forward to see the result! I really feel with you. It got to hurt to see your car like that. Its a shame that there never was any lasergreen 205 sold in sweden. I really love that color! And thous SL's will really look good with that paint!

Keep up the good work!

cRaig

Well, after about 4 months, and quite alot of stress I managed to get the rear beam sorted. I had it stripped down and powdercoated, but unfortunately the beam tube was bent (and remained unoticed) until after the powdercoating.
The engineering firm "kindly" assured me they could straighten the tube in a press, so continued reassembling it. Everything on the beam was replaced, new trailing arm shafts, pug bearings, hubs, new k6 dampers etc.
Was really pleased with how it looked, but unfortunately when we got around to fitting it to the car, one of the wheels was showing about 8mm more camber than the other, and more worryingly, the damper rubber bushing wouldnt sit properly against the boot floor.
Quickly we decided that it was the beam that was bent (where the tube thins towards the end where the shaft sits was properly bent. So off the beam came again, and I had a stressful time sorting a new tube (thanks Tom Fenton) and had the hassle of getting it powercoated again.

33751374911_e4be37e23b_c.jpg

This shows it not fitting well:

33036884364_c7bd81eec5_c.jpg

Beam was eventually finished (again) in decemeber, and still looks the part, just need to drill out a few of the bolts for the disk protectors and then it will be perfect.

33880765815_860b4e8b77_c.jpg

33751357941_1eefffa7a9_c.jpg

33724084012_66542709a8_c.jpg

As you can see in the top pics, I also bought some paint, and my mate kindly sprayed under the petrol tank and boot floor. Finish is really good, certainly good enough for under the car lol.
The floor forward of the petrol tank is going to be undersealed, as I cant justify painting it, but want a nicer looking finish.

Edited by cRaig

cRaig

Now we get onto the *really* expensive bit.. Once Id stripped off all the broken bits of trim, light clusters etc, given it a wash, dropped the petrol tank and got the rear beam repairs underway, it was time to go back to the bodyshop. Obviously I went straight to the guys who sprayed it last time, as I couldnt have been happier with the job they had done. While generally unimpressed with my handiwork, they were happy enough to repair it, and let me source all the parts to my own satisfaction, and to try and keep the costs down.

I also pulled the wing off to firstly have a quick look to check there was no further damage or rust to worry about, and to try and keep prep costs down to a minimum

looks like new smile.gif

33881159185_97b21e28b6_c.jpg

Shiney but beyond use methinks.. ;p

33496154490_8a6ab3f771_c.jpg

Anyway, now a few pics of the professionals at work..

All the panels are genuine Peugeot, managed to negotiate 15% discount from my local pug dealer (and free delivery!smile.gif) as I'm quite a good customer these days lol

31310844018_49bd604cef_c.jpg

fabricated by the bodyshop as its NLA from Peugeot

44462643044_bdbb43a88b_c.jpg

44462642634_fcd31731ca_c.jpg

New quarter! smile.gif

44273967285_fc879e39e1_c.jpg

had the entire front end cut off and replaced, as some rust that I had treated last time had come back quite quickly, so decided now was a good opportunity to do it properly and get some new metal in there

44273970895_917093973b_c.jpg

44273973555_cc22ace582_c.jpg

Removing the headlamp panels meant that the drivers wing had to come off as well...

45135847722_bc988f9e95_c.jpg

(nice to know there's no rust or issues under there though)

Edited by cRaig

cRaig

43370927020_62fb371600_c.jpg

(the old beam is back on, hence why its still looks wonky lol)

43370932760_facaba3b1a_c.jpg

43370942420_b902c87223_c.jpg

30246313337_be178d7d27_c.jpg

43370941230_09e4687f47_c.jpg

Anyway, that is pretty much up to date now, I'm back in Shropshire and going to the bodyshop tomorrow to see how things are going.. Should hopefully have some new pics/progress to report soon..

Edited by cRaig

jord294

good work pal

just to let you know, the top shocker bolts on your new beam are in the wrong way around, and too long

cRaig
good work pal

just to let you know, the top shocker bolts on your new beam are in the wrong way around, and too long

mm, thanks. we had noticed they were the wrong way around when we test fitted it. when you say they are too long, does it make much difference once they are swapped the correct way?

Craig

cybernck

I'm pleased to see you're rebuilding the car :P.

How much do all of the panels you'd purchased cost individually?

Thanks.

cRaig

Headlamp panels: £51each

Crossmember under the rad: £17

Rear quarter panel £111

Front wing: £90each

Could be worse I guess..

SurGie

Is that from Peugeot themselves ?

cRaig

Indeed, my local pug dealership with a 15% discount :)

jord294

too long, as in even if you turned them around the excess thread might catch the chassis

iirc, the bolt should be about flush with the nut

cRaig

Thanks, I'll try and source some new bolts. I imagine pug isnt the best place to buy them..

jord294

pug won't have them anymore

that's why if i get my hands on any, i clean them up and get them re-coated, and use new nuts which are available from main dealer

welshpug

pug will have them, just under a different part number, aka buy one for a 306 :)

SurGie

Thats what i thought as i bought a whole set late last year for my project.

taylorspug

Excellent, its so nice to see people who are genuinely into their 205s repairing rather than jujst scrapping and starting again.

Did the other front wing come off undamaged?

DamirGTI

Ditto , nice to see another 205 saved :) soon the time will come when we'll all be doing similar projects rather than a simple re-shell and scrap the poor one - everything (bar the severe bodywork damage of course ..) is repairable :lol:

Wish you all the best with your project .

Damir :)

cRaig
Excellent, its so nice to see people who are genuinely into their 205s repairing rather than jujst scrapping and starting again.

Did the other front wing come off undamaged?

The bodyshop decided that considering the time it would take them to remove the wing carefully, it would be cheaper to replace it. Had I not been at uni down in Bath I would have prob spent the time getting it off myself, but unfortunately that wasnt possible, so it had two new pug wings.

Thanks for the words of support guys :ph34r:

Hopefully its been painted by now, I'll get my dad to email me some pics soon, I feel bad pestering the bodyshop too much lol

chippy

some great work there!

i admire your commitment! :)

cRaig

This month's classic monthly, top 50 cars to buy in 2010. The 205 GTi is number 11, and they have used a stock photo of mine from the photoshoot last year, which is nice <_<

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/7627/coverre.jpg

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/7656/1re.jpg

"Walk away if you suspect an accident damaged shell"?!? I disagree! :D

:unsure:

happygoron

Pity about the contact website they used!

Daviewonder

"interior trim has a habit of falling off" Ive owned 6 205 gti's over the last 12 years and I've never had a piece of interior "fall off"!

Dizzee stuff

well done the car is coming along great, keep up the good work.

cybernck
Pity about the contact website they used!

Yeah, I spotted that too :P.