• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
carlh.1

1.9 Turbo On Emerald Smoke Issue!

carlh.1

Ive finaly got my car mapped and i thought was running fine until i started it this afternoon. It puts plumes of white smoke out at the start for a couple of minutes then looks to me to be slightly blue, not good! After a mile up the road it clears and runs clear with no smoke, does that mean i dont have to worry that the turbos giving up? could it be dwn to a crap map on the ecu? Any help would be brilliant because im loosing the will to live and feel like putting a gas axe through the car!

Galifrey
Ive finaly got my car mapped and i thought was running fine until i started it this afternoon. It puts plumes of white smoke out at the start for a couple of minutes then looks to me to be slightly blue, not good! After a mile up the road it clears and runs clear with no smoke, does that mean i dont have to worry that the turbos giving up? could it be dwn to a crap map on the ecu? Any help would be brilliant because im loosing the will to live and feel like putting a gas axe through the car!

Head Gasket ok?

bales

If it had been stood for a while without being run then you could have had some oil that has settled in the turbo/exhaust especially if the oil seals are on the way out.

If it clears after a while than it is unlikely to be the HG, if it does it every time then the turbo may be on the way out, but if it doesn't do it again whilst being run regularly I wouldn't worry too much.

Henry Yorke

It does sound a bit like turbo seals to me. Just make sure your oil drain to the sump is good as you don't want to be pressurising the oil in the turbo as this will blow the seals. Also you don't need a massive oil feed to the turbo as it is there more for lubriaction than cooling IIRC on a TT setup.

carlh.1

Ye head gaskets fine, no mixture of oil and water on dipstick, header tank or anywere else ive looked, the catch tank seems to have filled a bit with clean oil could it be drawing to much oil through the breather from the oil filler cap?

carlh.1

oil feed and return seem ok, i drove the car to run the engine in for a 1000 miles and it never smoked, its only since the cars been mapped and running higher boost, its only at 10psi, if the seals were going wouldnt it constantly smoke?

Tom Fenton

What is the history of the turbo?

carlh.1

turbo came off a 70000ish 406, andy at high flow said it looked like a good turbo no play in shaft, compared to the shaft on a mates celica gt4 and that didnt smoke.

Tom Fenton

Sorry to say it but its probably the turbo then, OK 70k miles isn't much, but it is probably 10-odd years old.

carlh.1

ye u could be right but before i rip the engine bay to pieces, i heard somewere that turbo cars on idle draw oil through the breather into the inlet track is that right because in 4 days of driving it mapped the catch tank is an inch full, or am i just in denial about the turbo? ha

Galifrey
ye u could be right but before i rip the engine bay to pieces, i heard somewere that turbo cars on idle draw oil through the breather into the inlet track is that right because in 4 days of driving it mapped the catch tank is an inch full, or am i just in denial about the turbo? ha

Have you been driving it in a more spirited fashion since having it mapped?

carlh.1

Well ye im giving it more beans, but thats why ive spent the money on it ;) ive just had the oil filler cap off it was full of a creamy gunk and the pipe nearly blocked with it as it went into the catch tank, the gauze underneath the cap is clean though, is that just a condensation build up because its been sat for months, i remember a friends 106 did exactly the same in the breather pipe.

Henry Yorke

That does sound like condensation to me in the filler cap. The weather has changed and makes a difference and also if it has been stood it takes a while to clear.