• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Lewis205mi

Wiring In Megasquirt

hcmini1989

nice response .was waiting for some right arsey one .as for the my m tech it was bought from ebay .was listed as a megasquirt with no pics so when it turned up .i was a bit suprised .so started doing the rounds to find out what i had bought but i could find more bad than good things to say about it .so set it up and just did`nt work .so i thought it would`nt be under warranty as its secondhand and you`d want to see reseats etc etc.so got onto msefi.com for some help and they basicly told me your lot were s*ite at building them etc etc .and they could`nt realy help me .

so i sent it to james murray .who then go back to me there was a short on the main board .so binned it off and he did me a very cheap readybuilt ms.

but having looked around for m tech now there does seem to be alot of happy people with your ecu`s.maybe just a bad batch .

madspikes

Its a fact of life that people bitch more about bad things than rave about good things!

mtechmatt
nice response .was waiting for some right arsey one .as for the my m tech it was bought from ebay .was listed as a megasquirt with no pics so when it turned up .i was a bit suprised .so started doing the rounds to find out what i had bought but i could find more bad than good things to say about it .so set it up and just did`nt work .so i thought it would`nt be under warranty as its secondhand and you`d want to see reseats etc etc.so got onto msefi.com for some help and they basicly told me your lot were s*ite at building them etc etc .and they could`nt realy help me .

so i sent it to james murray .who then go back to me there was a short on the main board .so binned it off and he did me a very cheap readybuilt ms.

but having looked around for m tech now there does seem to be alot of happy people with your ecu`s.maybe just a bad batch .

lol no point in being arsey ;)

The MS crew really dont like us, and to say we are s*it at building them is quite funny! The chaps who have them in to 'fiz' usually give any comment they can to elude to them being bad!!

The cehap readybuilt MS is probably ours back again with the correct settings loaded!!

To behonest we have never rerally had a bad batch, they are always fully tested befiore leaving ua, (as I am sure you can understand, not a hard task, and pretty simple to check they work 100%) so the fact that if theres anything wrong is usually due to fidlling or poor installation. ECUs we have installed never have any problems, which summises that!

Let us know if you need a hand with the mapping, we are quite busy now up until end of jan...

Cheers,

Matt

Galifrey

There are always going to be some clowns that mess up and then come back screaming that the product is poor, and in this day and age of internetz it is usually on a forum.

Respect to you Matt for coming here to stand by your product, and attempt to filter some BS.

Every company suffers with occasional bad stock, hence why most items come with a warranty. I know of companies in the past to swap out items and then find later that the item was misused and end up sucking up the cost, which can destroy some small businesses.

May well give you a visit when I decide to go bodies and standalone as you are pretty local.

mtechmatt

Thanks, luckily the BS is getting alot thinner now!

Not a problem, we do a typical TB conversion fro around £1800, Tbs supplied fitted adn mapped. Heres a chap we sponsor in rallying. interesting reading and vids etc!

http://www.206info.co.uk/ForumsPro/viewtop...15/start=0.html

http://www.206info.co.uk/ForumsPro/viewtop...15/start=0.html

TBs on a kit car...

http://forum.allcarclub.co.uk/index.cgi?ac...amp;page=1#7691

If turbocharging is more your thing however:

http://passionford.com/forum/general-discu...etec-turbo.html

Cheers,

Matt

Edited by cybernck

Lewis205mi

It just shows that its easy to put a company down without actually having any dealings with them.

We have found mtech to be very helpfull with the conversion that we undertook, with out there expertise and patience the car would have stayed a complete dissaster and a waste of time and money.

Im sure if any one was to spend there money with mtech they would not be dissapointed especially with the results and top quality service that they have to offer!

mtechmatt

Lewis,

Cheers for the feedback :D

When are we TBing yours then mate! :lol:

Matt

Nitropixie

Mtechmatt i have fitted a megasquirt 2 v3 on my friends 205 1.9 gti, with edis, OE injection setup and stepper motor idle valve, would you be able to rolling road it for us. I did have it rolling roaded at one place but not totally happy. How much would it cost per hour say??

Or would you be willing to divulge a similar map for me?? I know its cheeky to ask, but if you don't ask you don't get. The main part i'm having trouble with at the moment is hunting and inconsistent idle and low end drivability isn't how i would like it.

Ryan

mtechmatt

Ryan,

We can set it up for you for £45/hour+VAT. Where did you have it done out of interest?

Unfortunately as I am sure you can understand, we're never too keen to dish out our basemaps!!

Cheers,

Matt

Nitropixie

I fully understand where your coming from with your base maps. I tried, lol.

I did it all myself in fact. I bought the megasquirt kit from the states. It took me about 5-6 weeks in total from getting the car, to making all my own brackets, machining the trigger wheel to align and fit, fit a lambda boss, etc etc and trying my best to make it look like an OE install look. I think i did quite well and with quite a good budget.

Tuning wise, i got a map from a guy in Australia in order to get it running somewhere near, then did some by ear myself, after figuring i wired the coil pack low tension wires the wrong way round, doh!! Blew open a back box from doing that.

I have quite a bit of experience with the mjlj kits that's why i chose the edis, plus the flywheel doesn't have the trigger teeth. I have done some repair work on the mjlj units on behalf of autosprtlabs here in the uk and a few installs, mostly on mini's. But i am a bit lost with fueling maps, acceleration enrichment, idle settings aswell as ignition maps to be honest. I did learn alot though.

mtechmatt

I'm more than happy to map it for you if you can bring it down?

Matt

Lewis205mi
Lewis,

Cheers for the feedback :rolleyes:

When are we TBing yours then mate! :lol:

Matt

You wont be touching my car MATE judging by the state of the mapping you did on rachels car. How you think its acceptable to leave a car pinking/ deting after we paid you in excess of £400 for mapping i dont no and then call the car a nail after we had just paid you?

Oh well you live and learn i suppose, by the way why are you on this forum? I didnt notice that you own a 205 or are you on all of the forums just looking for another in experienced person that you can get away with feeding your bull s*it to and ultimatly ripping them of?

Sorry for the late reply but every time i read this thread it boiles my blood, as i stuck up for you to soon thinking that you were a good person and all you have done is take us for a mug!

Galifrey
You wont be touching my car MATE judging by the state of the mapping you did on rachels car. How you think its acceptable to leave a car pinking/ deting after we paid you in excess of £400 for mapping i dont no and then call the car a nail after we had just paid you?

Oh well you live and learn i suppose, by the way why are you on this forum? I didnt notice that you own a 205 or are you on all of the forums just looking for another in experienced person that you can get away with feeding your bull s*it to and ultimatly ripping them of?

Sorry for the late reply but every time i read this thread it boiles my blood, as i stuck up for you to soon thinking that you were a good person and all you have done is take us for a mug!

Hey Lewis, that's a pretty serious situation, was it pinking/deting when you left the mappers? if so why did you leave?

Have you changed fuel since the mapping?

Have you asked them to put it right? if so, what was the outcome?

Just trashing a company on a forum without the full info really isn't acceptable, bear in mind that you can be held accountable for the words you write (financially) if they later turn out inaccurate.

I am not doubting you, but there are some serious accusations there.

Lewis205mi
Hey Lewis, that's a pretty serious situation, was it pinking/deting when you left the mappers? if so why did you leave?

Have you changed fuel since the mapping?

Have you asked them to put it right? if so, what was the outcome?

Just trashing a company on a forum without the full info really isn't acceptable, bear in mind that you can be held accountable for the words you write (financially) if they later turn out inaccurate.

I am not doubting you, but there are some serious accusations there.

The fuel is the same as when the car was mapped, the guy in charge new it was pinking as he test drove the car after it was mapped.

Its a long story but basically my girlfriend asked for advice on another forum as to weather she should have to pay another hours mapping after the initial set up, she also doubted the mappers ability as he mapped it with out checking the oil/water level, tyre pressure and if we had full throttle which we didnt, which obviously affected the end result, fair enough the cam timing was out as well so the throttle part of it wouldnt have made much affect but in my eyes it still should have been checked.

The man in charge got wind of this after she paid the hourly rate to have it finished of and rang her up having a go at her about it, they then started having an argument on the other forum that i just mentioned, when i finished work i went around to collect the old ecu which had been replaced with the stand alone unit.

I complained that we had payed in excess of £400 for mapping and the car was pinking, he said i dont care if your happy or not its only a fiat punto and the cars a nail any way and that he doesnt want any thing else to do with it.

He can try and get us done for complaining but at the end of the day im just making people aware.

We have various emails from him and his bad attitude, also the map is the same as when the car left them which is obviously not great so we will be speaking with trading standards about this as the service we have recieved is not acceptable.

Galifrey
The fuel is the same as when the car was mapped, the guy in charge new it was pinking as he test drove the car after it was mapped.

Its a long story but basically my girlfriend asked for advice on another forum as to weather she should have to pay another hours mapping after the initial set up, she also doubted the mappers ability as he mapped it with out checking the oil/water level, tyre pressure and if we had full throttle which we didnt, which obviously affected the end result, fair enough the cam timing was out as well so the throttle part of it wouldnt have made much affect but in my eyes it still should have been checked.

The man in charge got wind of this after she paid the hourly rate to have it finished of and rang her up having a go at her about it, they then started having an argument on the other forum that i just mentioned, when i finished work i went around to collect the old ecu which had been replaced with the stand alone unit.

I complained that we had payed in excess of £400 for mapping and the car was pinking, he said i dont care if your happy or not its only a fiat punto and the cars a nail any way and that he doesnt want any thing else to do with it.

He can try and get us done for complaining but at the end of the day im just making people aware.

We have various emails from him and his bad attitude, also the map is the same as when the car left them which is obviously not great so we will be speaking with trading standards about this as the service we have recieved is not acceptable.

Hmmm okay, that sounds a bit crap tbh, if he knew it was pinking after mapping, the job is incomplete in my eyes however, the other faults do throw more light on the issue.

I think you are on a sticky wicket regarding some of the other issues, ie thottle opening and cam timing, as I am pretty sure it is your responsibility to ensure the car is sound before taking it for mapping. As regards the oil/water level, some will check this, others will say it is your responsibility to ensure those things are fine beforehand.

If you went to another mapper with incorrect throttle opening, the mapper may spot it and then charge for correcting it, same with the cam timing, but I doubt any mapper would correct it for free.

One problem with internet forums is these fights break out when really the 2 parties should be discussing privately and sorting the issue, if the issue isn't sorted amicably, then a statement of facts is a better way of informing others than an out and out bitch. It seems in this case you have a statement of facts re Pinking post map, but all the arguments since on public forums will do nothing for either you or the company concerned.

Maybe Matt will respond with an amicable offer to correct the situation, however, if you turned up with a car that was as faulty as you suggest, I would doubt it will be for free, I know if I spent hours trying to map a car and couldnt get it right due to incorrect throttle opening and cam timing (as it later turned out) I wouldn't be looking to put it right afterwards for free.

I would be looking to recover some of the costs from the engine builder (cam timing), which, if it was done privately (ie you) you're are just gonna have to suck it up.

Edited by Galifrey

Lewis205mi
Hmmm okay, that sounds a bit crap tbh, if he knew it was pinking after mapping, the job is incomplete in my eyes however, the other faults do throw more light on the issue.

I think you are on a sticky wicket regarding some of the other issues, ie thottle opening and cam timing, as I am pretty sure it is your responsibility to ensure the car is sound before taking it for mapping. As regards the oil/water level, some will check this, others will say it is your responsibility to ensure those things are fine beforehand.

If you went to another mapper with incorrect throttle opening, the mapper may spot it and then charge for correcting it, same with the cam timing, but I doubt any mapper would correct it for free.

One problem with internet forums is these fights break out when really the 2 parties should be discussing privately and sorting the issue, if the issue isn't sorted amicably, then a statement of facts is a better way of informing others than an out and out bitch. It seems in this case you have a statement of facts re Pinking post map, but all the arguments since on public forums will do nothing for either you or the company concerned.

Maybe Matt will respond with an amicable offer to correct the situation, however, if you turned up with a car that was as faulty as you suggest, I would doubt it will be for free, I know if I spent hours trying to map a car and couldnt get it right due to incorrect throttle opening and cam timing (as it later turned out) I wouldn't be looking to put it right afterwards for free.

I would be looking to recover some of the costs from the engine builder (cam timing), which, if it was done privately (ie you) you're are just gonna have to suck it up.

The last time that the car was mapped there the cam timing and throttle opening was correct as i sorted this out before the final mapping session, it was after this final mapping that the car was pinking which he new about and said what i have stated in the above comment.

Im not bitching im just making people aware of our experience as i would hate for some one to look at the comment when i recomend them and get taken for a ride like we did.

Thanks

pee vee

there are only a very very few places I would take a car now. certainly for any mechanical mods.

and even fewer for mapping.

Lewis; you sure the car is detting?? and its not just piston slap etc from a worn bottom end when the car initially loads up?

or is it when the car is on boost that its happening?

obviously Mtech calling the car a nail is their customer service levels.. after that, again why would you go back.

Lewis205mi
there are only a very very few places I would take a car now. certainly for any mechanical mods.

and even fewer for mapping.

Lewis; you sure the car is detting?? and its not just piston slap etc from a worn bottom end when the car initially loads up?

or is it when the car is on boost that its happening?

obviously Mtech calling the car a nail is their customer service levels.. after that, again why would you go back.

Its definatly detting, my 309 used to do it sounds like fine grit hitting tin foil when its on boost under load.

The engine is in very good condition no nasty noises when ticking over or when driving under light load, we did a compression test and there is absolutly no variation between any cylinder which is showing exactly 160psi across the board.

We have learned our lesson and wont be taking the car back there, we also wont be driving it until its booked in with a trusted and wel known firm.

Lewis

sideways danny

Tricky to find somewhere worth going to for mapping, there's so many names thrown around on forums with good reputation, then you look at their work and it's terrible.

A few i'd recommend from a perspective of working in the industry:-

Mech motorsport in cheltenham http://www.rollingroad.co.uk/, superb with any rolling road setups, Carbs, or any management. Brian and Dave between them have astonishing experiance and skill

Torque of the Devil in Uxbridge, http://www.torqueofthedevil.com/ Chris Todd is top notch, slight Ford bias, but good with anything.

APT in Norwich, http://www.ap-tuning.co.uk/ Gary Heyward does a lot of very high output cars

K-tec racing http://www.k-tecracing.com/ is where I will always take cars for mappings personally. Andy Culter is a good friend, former colleague and employer, and very talented calibration engineer.

FWIW, any mapping session should include checking the car over to make sure it's in a fit state to map. Checking you have full throttle is basics. Any ITB setup should also have the balancing checked, anyone not doing these things is wasting their and your time. Cheaper is definitely not better for this kind of work

Edited by sideways danny

mtechmatt

Lewis,

All very interesting.

The car came to us YET AGAIN and I mapped it FOR FREE AGAIN as you had said you had now fixed the many problems this car had.

It is not our responcibility to check anything at all. That is why we hav e a disclaimer. If you would me to go over the car it is 45/hour.

the car is detting as I said I ran the ignition advance up to try and see if we could get anymore power. Your trigger pulley is not aligned correctly. I said that you need to sort this, dont drive the car on boost and brin git back and I would sort it. Do you not remember this conversation?

I map race and rally cars, so I think my mapping 'cuits the mustard' as it were. Othjer customers think so as well...

http://www.106owners.co.uk/forums/showpost...mp;postcount=29

As I said am happy to fix the detting, but I will not be working with you on this car any further as it has too many problems and you guys expect it all fixed for free. Slark Racing sent you away, and now I have.

You are a two faced liar time and time again, and frankly you need to grow up. Businesses and people will tire of your attiitude very quickly.

It is not my job to check the throttle fully opens. Maybe I shoud also check that the turbo has all its impellar blades as well for free? Perhaps whilst I am it I should strip the entire engine to check that there are no other restrictions. Remember you paid some idiot £200 to install the engine, then you blame US for the bad throttle linkage, lack of heat sheild and everyhting else. Do you not realise how naive you sound?

If you have an issue pick up the phone or pop in, I am always one to help sort anything I have done, but I won;t be helping you tune ANY of your cars.

Oh nice facebook group btw... jeez...

Matt

Edited by mtechmatt

mtechmatt
FWIW, any mapping session should include checking the car over to make sure it's in a fit state to map. Checking you have full throttle is basics. Any ITB setup should also have the balancing checked, anyone not doing these things is wasting their and your time. Cheaper is definitely not better for this kind of work

It is the owners responcilibty to assure a car is safe to map. No rolling road will pop the wheels off to check the hub nuts are tight....

We do monitor oil poressure and water temps whilst mapping, as that is common sense.

TBS yes, balancing is part of setup, but checking the throttle fully opens on a bog standard OEM system is not somethig we would check, unless they would like to pay for our time, which they woudnt.

mtechmatt

Thats basically m,y point summed up. We spent hours for free going over things on this car to help them out, each time they brought it back I said: "Are you ready for me to map this car once and for all"

We usually charge £300 to map a car, if its not setup right, tough, their fault for npot checking its good to go before bringing it, but out of courtesy I said take it away, sort it and I will finish the mapping for free. I said time and time again cam timing was out but they would not listen, then hey presto it was!

They brought the car back, I spent 2 hours on it free of charge and it still had issues. I had part mapped it and ramped up the iggy timing (hence the knock) and I said dont drive it under load, bring it back when xyz is fixed (timing pulley) and I would finish it. It is them I went on the punto forums where I saw they had stated that the insulation set on fire when we first mapped it, which it did, due to lack of a heat sheild, and how it was our fault for not checking there was a heat sheild. They were put right by the other forum members, stating how its not my job to check this (puntos hide their turbos at trhe back of the engine out of site) and the chap who fitted the engine never reinstalled the GT heat shield, or removed the 1.1s sound deadening from the bulkhead.

Thats the facts.

They have not contacted me since to discuss retarding the timing, or anythgin else other than what I have seen here.

Matt

mtechmatt

Lewis,

(Sorry to spam this thread chaps!)

Here is the posting on the punto forums, as you can see, everyone seems to knwo the score on there....

http://www.puntosports.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=107586

Interesting reading....

By all means go to trading standards, however, beware if I find any more postings of this nature I will be taking action against you for libel and corporate slander. I also have Slark Race Engineering, whom many know and respect, who will back up our claims in court as to your vehicle as he turned your car away after its crank sensor failed.

Be warned that slander on a public forum is financially accountable not on the amount of posts YOU have made, bu to the amount of PEOPLE who may of read it.

Tread carefully. As I said, bring the car back and I will knock the timing back so it doesent knock.

Good luck finidng any reputable tuner to even go near that car, be sure to show them these postings so they can make their own mind up.

"I think becuase M-Tech didnt check the cam timing they should do the cams for free..." I especially love that one!!

Matt

Lewis205mi
Lewis,

All very interesting.

The car came to us YET AGAIN and I mapped it FOR FREE AGAIN as you had said you had now fixed the many problems this car had.

It is not our responcibility to check anything at all. That is why we hav e a disclaimer. If you would me to go over the car it is 45/hour.

the car is detting as I said I ran the ignition advance up to try and see if we could get anymore power. Your trigger pulley is not aligned correctly. I said that you need to sort this, dont drive the car on boost and brin git back and I would sort it. Do you not remember this conversation?

I map race and rally cars, so I think my mapping 'cuits the mustard' as it were. Othjer customers think so as well...

http://www.106owners.co.uk/forums/showpost...mp;postcount=29

As I said am happy to fix the detting, but I will not be working with you on this car any further as it has too many problems and you guys expect it all fixed for free. Slark Racing sent you away, and now I have.

You are a two faced liar time and time again, and frankly you need to grow up. Businesses and people will tire of your attiitude very quickly.

It is not my job to check the throttle fully opens. Maybe I shoud also check that the turbo has all its impellar blades as well for free? Perhaps whilst I am it I should strip the entire engine to check that there are no other restrictions. Remember you paid some idiot £200 to install the engine, then you blame US for the bad throttle linkage, lack of heat sheild and everyhting else. Do you not realise how naive you sound?

If you have an issue pick up the phone or pop in, I am always one to help sort anything I have done, but I won;t be helping you tune ANY of your cars.

Oh nice facebook group btw... jeez...

Matt

Slark racing sent us away, you say that as if he doesnt want any thing to do with us? funny that its booked in there for mapping lol and by the way every thing is sorted now bar the mapping.

We wouldnt take any of our cars to you as your a liar, if you remember the car was initially taken to you to see why it wasnt running properly i.e missing and running to rich (that is all we wanted sorting), you instantly blamed the ecu (limp mode remember that?) you didnt even check the cam timing which is now obvious, and the reason why it wasnt running right in the first place on the standard ecu, so were was the need to spend £1200 to get the car running properly? You said your ecu would solve the running issues which it didnt i suppose you guessed that it was the standard ecu at fault? You shouldnt do with other peoples money.

Dont get on your high horse and start blaming the state of the car either as the things that were wrong with it had nothing to do with the running of the engine bar the cam timing, also the crank trigger pulley is PERFECTLY alighned well acording to an engine builder with 40 years experience thats nearly twice your age lol.

You say im nieve is that why you ripped us of? You also say im 2 faced i suppose it takes one to no one, and after all the s*it you have told us and then changed your mind about, can you remember telling us (The turbos broke, the bottom end is knocking, the engine is f***ed etc) all of which wasnt correct and im sure you will deny saying.

Im sure you do have happy customers but i aint one of them and i certainly no for sure that im not the only un happy one, theres people very near to you that think your a con-man the same as i do, and by the way i dont give a f*** what you or any one else thinks with regards to our cars or us personally so your wasting your breath commenting, also i dont have a problem with telling you any of this to your face.

Whats face book got to do with any thing? If you read its not actually my account lol.

Anyway this site is for 205 owners who are willing to help each other out so as said before why are you on here??

sideways danny
It is the owners responcilibty to assure a car is safe to map. No rolling road will pop the wheels off to check the hub nuts are tight....

We do monitor oil poressure and water temps whilst mapping, as that is common sense.

TBS yes, balancing is part of setup, but checking the throttle fully opens on a bog standard OEM system is not somethig we would check, unless they would like to pay for our time, which they woudnt.

so if you're mapping a bog standard setup on a standalone ECU, how do you set the TPS range correctly without checking throttle travel?

I've done this as a job BTW :lol: Checking the car over becomes part of the chargeable total. Where i've worked we would give a quote price, and that includes checking the basics. Dont give an option not to check it over, people will penny pinch and situations like this occur