• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

DrSarty

Useful **xu** Engine Reference Booklets

DrSarty

Hi all:

I took some time and went through MiamiStu's Brilliant 205/309/405 Parts Catalogue and collated all of the relevant pages for each of 6 particular engine types. These are all downloadable below.

I thought these might be useful mini-guides you could keep, where you would be able to see exploded view drawings of components, pipe work and assemblies and the part numbers too for the following engines:

>>> 1.6 & 1.9 8valve GTI (XU5J, XU5JA, XU9JA & XU9JAZ)

>>> 16valve Mi16 & S16 (XU9J4 & XU10J4)

These mini-guides mainly concentrate on the 'full-fat', UK, RHD versions. Details are in there though for other versions such as 'cold climate' and low compression or catalytic exhaust variants.

These also only cover the engine itself, i.e. no gearbox or suspension stuff, but do include management, sensors, cooling, lubrication, fuel, ignition, exhaust and breather systems.

This is the colour coding used & the engine codes for the variants I've concentrated on:

Pink = 105bhp 1.6 GTI (XU5J - B6A)

Red = 115bhp 1.6 GTI (XU5JA - B6D)

Blue = 128bhp 1.9 GTI (XU9JA - D6B)

Orange = 120bhp 1.9 GTI (XU9JAZ - DKZ)

Yellow = 160bhp 1.9 alloy Mi16 (XU9J4 - D6C)

Green = 155bhp 2.0 iron Mi16/S16 (XU10J4 - RFY)

I think you'll find the colour system really easy in the documents.

For example if you want parts for a pre '91 8v GTI engine, you just look down for the pink highlights. If a part number has two colours in, it's simply because that part number applies to 2 engine types. If it suits 3 types, then it's not coloured at all and the 3 coloured engine numbers will be shown in the box to the right. If it suits just 1 type, then it'll be coloured accordingly unless the whole page is exclusively for that engine type.

AND, if you have a reasonably recent version of Adobe Acrobat Reader (which is free software needed to use these mini-guides), you can search for what you're after, e.g. entering 'cam' in the FIND box (which is either in a toolbar or in the drop-down EDIT menu) will take you to each match one at a time, so it's easy to find your cam shaft or whatever. Really pleased with that bit. :)

I've also placed the pages in a logical order, pretty much like this: Engine mounts > block > crank > pistons > sump & lube system > cyl head > cams > inlet etc etc. The last items are the alternator and starter motor.

Here they are, maximum 2.3mb downloads hosted on MediaFire, and there is also an oil component compatibility chart which shows you which parts are common across the above models and which are unique:

CLICK> XU10J4 Reference Guide

CLICK> XU9J4 Reference Guide

CLICK> XU5J, 5JA, 9JA & 9JAZ (< '91) Reference Guide

CLICK> XU5JA, 9JA & 9JAZ (> '91) Reference Guide

CLICK> Oil Component Compatibility Chart

I hope these prove useful.

Rich

DrSarty

I've now just added an 'Ignition & Engine Management Component Compatibility Chart'.

It shows which AFMs, coils, ignition amps etc are interchangeable.

:ph34r:

CLICK> Ignition & Engine Management Component Compatibility Chart

I don't wanna start a huge debate in here, but this shows (if the part numbers are not a typo) that 8valve and 16valve (single) coils are different. They are certainly different part numbers, but whether they are different in practice in terms of dimensions or performance is perhaps questionnable. However if they are, it may account for someone's running issues.

The ignition amplifiers (up to XU10) are all the same though.

Edited by DrSarty

DrSarty

I've now just added a 'Bottom End Component Compatibility Chart'.

CLICK> XU Petrol Injection Bottom End Component Compatibility Chart

What this should show (well it educated me actually) is how the bottom ends differ. What I mean is, it's clear to see that the cranks and rods are different to give the different stroke to give the different displacements.

The pistons don't seem to be available as separate items, but the 1.9 8v pistons will all fit each alloy block (in the liners), and this forum holds the knowledge and experience to tell you for example what benefits you gain (creating higher compression ratio etc) from using perhaps 1.6 or 1.9 low comp pistons in 'trick' builds with different cams to achieve interesting results for different road and competitive applications.

It's shown me that the flywheels are certainly different, but the starter ring gear are not. So piece by piece it's possible to see that across the Peugeot range - perhaps quite obviously - many components are identical or worth experimenting with swapping about.

That is the purpose of these downloadable documents; to help you find part numbers more easily for bits in your engine, and remove a little of the black magic about engine modification.

The more time you invest in 'reading' into the online parts catalogue (link in the top post), the quicker you will:

>>> understand these engines if you are new to XUs

>>> be able to locate part numbers to order from the main stealer dealer

>>> see that many parts are out there off other models to help you keep costs down in maintaining your standard car or performance modifying it.

Rich

Edited by DrSarty

DrSarty

I stumbled across this on-line resource, which is just simply HOOOOOJ.

Click (QCLT)

I can't find a home page, but scroll down and you can find all manner of technical data and assembly diagrams for the following engines:

XU5, XU7 & XU10 - (The 205 & 306/406 petrol engines)

EW10 & 12 J4 - (Later 206, 307, 406 & 407 + petrol engines)

&

ES9J4 - The 3.0 24v V6 lump :ph34r:

I may add the relevant pages to my downloadable XU booklets, and if I get really bored I'll combine all of the V6 stuff to make a single booklet for that.

This shows information which supports Haynes (at a DIY level) to quite a technical workshop level including torque settings, fluid capacities and special tools.

It's pretty comprehensive and I have no idea how I stumbled across it. :wub:

Edited by DrSarty

Artemide

Could someone tell me where can I find the engine type nr. Maybe a picture or smth...

Edited by Artemide

jimistdt
Could someone tell me where can I find the engine type nr. Maybe a picture or smth...

Try this Arty. :)

XU Engine ID plate

pacmannewry

Rich,

You linked to this post from my earlier thread today but unfortunately the five links in your first post above aren't working. Not sure if they're yours but I just thought I'd let all know.

Thanks Paddy

DrSarty
You linked to this post from my earlier thread today but unfortunately the five links in your first post above aren't working. Not sure if they're yours but I just thought I'd let all know.

Ah. OK. Thanks for that Paddy.

I've tried and can't get to MediaFire either. I'll try and fix it tomorrow. It's nearly midnight where I am now.

If MediaFire's gone down I'll host them elsewhere.

EDIT> No, it does work. Perhaps Google is having some issues but try again/later/a few times and it should work. Most of the files have been downloaded nearly 80 times each!

Here's the Pug folder with everything in: CLICK

It does work, so just keep trying.

Edited by DrSarty

Artemide

I have another question. I currently finished restoring a 205 gti and there is still one obstacle in the way to take it for a spin. I can´t get the spark running and my electrician can´t really do anything because I don´t have the right scheme for my engine electrics. I have the Haynes 205 manual with all the other electrical schemes but for some reason it doesn't have mine :S. Anyway, today I checked my engine code and it is: DFC PTC

Do you DrSarty or anyone else know what engine code the DFC PTC is? Like is it XU9JA or XU9JAZ or what? I need to know that so that I could search for the right electrical scheme somewhere.

I also had some other numbers there, not really sure if their helpful or not but: 1CW9B 101050

DrSarty

This is the largest engine code list I've found: click

There is no DFC (or PTC) in there. However, did someone read the code to you?

I'm going out on a limb but did some say 'Dee' 'Eff' 'Zee' (as in Z said in an American style), and you have heard that as a 'C'?

Perhaps it's a DFZ? Does it have a catalytic converter?

I'm sorry but this is all I can think of. I'll try and search for 'DFC' elsewhere for you, but I don't recognise it and can't find a reference to it as yet.

EDIT: I've searched, and really don't think that's an engine code. DFC UK is apparently a department of Peugeot Citreon Automobiles so I don't think you're looking in the correct place. What is the Bosch part number on the AFM? That'll help us find it. Engine code plate if it's still fitted will be top left of the block (flywheel end) near the head, with a black rectangle at the top.

These have different management, but the whole ECU -> ign amp -> to coil -> to dizzy -> plug set up is roughly the same with only a few wires needed.

Try searching in this XU technical forum for '+spark+prob' and see what other people have done to trace their fault. The best approach really would be to swap single components such as CAS, coil, ign amp or even ECU (that you know work on another car) once you've checked the basics like rotor arm and dizzy cap...although this isn't the right thread to solve it.

Edited by DrSarty

Guest dirkdiggler

seem to know your stuff fella

dont know if you can help me but i need a wiring diagram for my mi16 conversion, im using the std motronic ecu and loom but dont have a clue about wiring it in to the 205....can you shed any light....much appreciated if you can

DrSarty
seem to know your stuff fella

dont know if you can help me but i need a wiring diagram for my mi16 conversion, im using the std motronic ecu and loom but dont have a clue about wiring it in to the 205....can you shed any light....much appreciated if you can

I will upload some, but if you search a little you'll find they are on here. Try searching some of Veero's topics, and also Hexhamstu's.

Alternatively PM me your e-mail address and I'll send them to you.

Guest dirkdiggler
I will upload some, but if you search a little you'll find they are on here. Try searching some of Veero's topics, and also Hexhamstu's.

Alternatively PM me your e-mail address and I'll send them to you.

cheers youre a star.....will send email addy

Artemide

Well I got the engine nr. from the top left of the block, just how you described it and it is still the same: DFC PTC. However, I also managed to get the numbers from my Motronic Bosch AFM. It is: 261 200 162. Maybe that can help us?

PS: My father, who has dealt with these cars for a long time thought that it should be xu9jaz.

DrSarty
Well I got the engine nr. from the top left of the block, just how you described it and it is still the same: DFC PTC. However, I also managed to get the numbers from my Motronic Bosch AFM. It is: 261 200 162. Maybe that can help us?

PS: My father, who has dealt with these cars for a long time thought that it should be xu9jaz.

It's not an XU9JAZ (low comp) AFM as that's the same as an Mi AFM, ending in ...202.

From ATP's website - a place where they refurbish vehicle electronic components like AFMs - it says this for your AFM number:

309 GTi 1.9 litre 8 Valve 88-91 | Bosch Motronic 1.3 |0 261 200 162

So this makes me feel that it's a later 8v version possibly running a knock sensor or a knock sensor and a cat. Has your engine got a knock sensor bolted to the front of the block by the oil filler hose? Does it have a cat? Motronic 1.3 is a later ECU. These aren't low comp AFAIK but are lower output.

Someone else like Welshpug will know.

Again though this isn't the thread to solve your specific problem; it's a pinned reference thread, and if this goes on you should start another topic.

But I do think the above is your answer.

Guest NickH

The DFZ engine is the XU9J1 type..

Artemide

Where can I find a detailed electrical scheme for XU9J1?

DrSarty

Get a HAYNES MANUAL. You can download several from M@tt's signature.

Edited by DrSarty

Artemide
Get a HAYNES MANUAL. You can download several from M@tt's signature.

I even have the Haynes 205 book but there isn't my scheme included

Artemide

I need to know resistance and voltages for sensors on a dfz ptc.

Could anyone help?

aldoMJ

Hi, you seem to really know what your talking about. I am looking to find wiring diagram. I am putting a 2.0lt 8v engine from a zx volcane into my phase 1 205 gti. can you help me with the wiring diagram

alan

DrSarty

Just thought I'd see if these booklets have proved useful, and I guess between 300 and 625 downloads for each one means they have.

:)