• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

opticaltrigger

[race_prep] Turbo Hill Climb Project

opticaltrigger

A happy new year to all.....

Well, festivities all out the way now I finally managed to get over to the car a few days back and take a few update photos of things.

I mentioned most of them above so I won't babble on to much this time.

Slowly but surely it's all coming together now though.

All the very best guy's

O.T.

IMG_1708.jpg

IMG_1709.jpg

IMG_1706.jpg

IMG_1707.jpg

IMG_1710.jpg

IMG_1711.jpg

And

Looking good. Just a small note tho oil coolers don't work well that way up they trap air /air lock that way up as how they work they can't push it out of the top rows they work best stud up fed bottom to top think it is or both at the top at worst.

Edited by And
  • Like 2

welshpug

oem's mount them pipes top.

• Like 1

wicked

I would rotate the oil cooler as well; pipes top.

Will you be able to fit a front valance over that intercooler? Seems to stick out a bit.

• Like 1

tdr_1976

Looking Great mate. Mint Job! :)

• Like 1

mmt

Great car!

Where did you get those "Michelin" stickers from?

• Like 1

opticaltrigger

Hi gents,and many thanks to you all for the support and comments.

That cooler is going to be in the other way round when the pipe arrives.The valance is the same as it always was wicked.But looking at it again,I see what you mean in the pictures it looks very forward but it is the same.The oil cooler fits in very nicely behind it to.

I think those Michelin stickers came in a kit of stickers that Rich got for it a while back mmt. From memory though,I seem to remember that he wasn't happy with the quality of some of them in that kit though and it took him ages to get them delivered as well. ebay I think,is where they were sourced from.

Anyway,thanks again guy's.

All the very best

O.T.

opticaltrigger

Hi all out there on the forum,

It's been a very long time since I was last active on the forum but it does feel good to be back.

I see there's been some big changes to, the place has had a big face lift, looks great. Feel totally lost though.

Since Iv'e been away Iv'e noticed that photobucket has closed my account and all my photo's have gone. Shame......... 

Iv'e still got most of them doted around on various computers but out of interest, how do I load pictures from now on?.. I have no idea.

Anyway as a bit of a car update for anyone that's interested.

It's still here, and after getting one two years now we have picked up the tools again and brought it back out of safe keeping to get it finished off.

As things stand, as of last weekend that is. 

We calibrated and installed a new wideband sensor and I powered up Megasquirt and loaded the latest firmware package and map.

It basically needs fluids and we can try a fire up of this new engine.

I'm going to try and grab some pictures of it at the weekend as it stands now. So if anyone could point me as to how I get them up now that would be great.

Well it's really great to be back guy's, Iv'e really missed it here.

All the very best

O.T.

petert

Hi, just drop the files in the area below where you type text. There is a paper clip there. It's always more efficient if you resize your phone pics down to 1200x900 pixels (approx).

opticaltrigger

Hi all,

Little bit of an update... Managed to spend a bit of time with Rich over the weekend and get to work on the car again, felt good to.....

As with all these sort of things there's all ways a ton of stuff to go over, and especially when you haven't looked at it properly for a couple of years nearly. Well after a bit of a sit down around the car we both got stuck in again and started finishing off those bits like connectors and hoses etc, and also filled up the engine and gearbox with new oil.

There's been a few changes to the car since the last time it ran. I wont go through all that again but the air intakes on the bonnet are new ones Rich hammered out by hand and they fit the bonnet like a glove. It all still needs a coat of paint, but that will come sooner or latter.

The coolant is a quite a bit of a different direction this time as were using some Evans waterless coolant. On the surface of things it seems like a really great idea, so we'll see how it gets on anyway.

As things stand now it's full of fluids (almost...Needs a bit more coolant.) And if all goes to plan were going to try and fire it up for the first time at the weekend. Anyway guy's if I get this rite there should be a few photos of the car as it stands after it's long sleep.

All the very best,

O.T.

IMG_20181125_152125.thumb.jpg.4d950a182a0434080e2840514b9fe628.jpgIMG_20181125_155843.thumb.jpg.56a79cdd1ccfd5ce46ae3c6275da7c75.jpg

jackherer

I'm very interested to hear how you get on with the Evans coolant. I've been thinking of trying it for a long time, it seems like a very good idea if you have an ageing alloy wet liner engine block as most of us do.

wicked

Good to see that you have picked up the work again.. :)

I'm also curious on that Evans coolant... Does it needs regular replacement? 

Last time I drained my TCT, the coolant started to get rusty... :( 

jackherer

They claim it lasts "more than 20 years" but I think in reality you are probably going to have a hose or radiator leak before then!

opticaltrigger

Hi Guy's, yes it seems very impressive on the surface of things, almost to good to be true technically speaking.

But it's the practicality of it that is my only real concern. Your definitely going to have to top it up at some point for one reason or another which necessitates keeping a stock of it as you must not even stand next to it with any water.

And also, this engine can be taxing to chase all the air out of it, which then leaves you to worry about spillage and wastage. I think ultimately we will have to arrange a few mods to the pipe work so that it can be bled and drained cleanly. That horrible bleed screw on the head, I would really like to modify it a bit so that there's a small tube that comes off and down under the engine. Then I think it would all be great with no worries.

I'll keep you posted though guy's with how it pans out. Must say though, the benefits do seem good when you read them don't they...

Hopefully we will get to have a go at starting it up at the weekend, I'll try and catch it on video if I can.

All the very best guy's

O.T.

welshpug

never had any issues bleeding the 8v xu, as long as all 3 bleed points work its fine.

adding some bleed holes into the thermostat as per PTS build books makes it quicker though.

wicked

The bleeding issues are likely related to the top mounted  turbo.  Probably it does make sense to make a bleeding hole there. 

opticaltrigger
10 hours ago, wicked said:

The bleeding issues are likely related to the top mounted  turbo.

Yes, that's the issue and your rite wicked. A bleed hole up there is a good move I think.

Just had a message from Rich earlier to let me know that it's all topped up and ready to go, so all being well we can give it a try at the weekend. Great .!!!!!

All the best

O.T.

opticaltrigger

Just a quick update on the car,

Well we didn't fire it up in the end as we just ran out of time and the weather had turned bad to. But we did manage to get it completely up to the point where it just needs fuel and we can go for it.

There were a couple of coolant weeps and dribbles to deal with and a few pipes to connect up, but it's all there now and if work and life permits we might even get it spun over in the week, if not then it'll be the weekend again.

Here's a couple of photos of it now. Some of the pipe work has to go back off to the powder coaters again, where it's been modified and chopped about for the new turbo location.

The new turbo pipe that goes across the cam cover had to be made as a wider ellipse rather than round in order to miss the underside of the bonnet.

All the very best guy's

O.T.

IMG_20181202_150814.thumb.jpg.1fe28264765195588514f88794400d70.jpgIMG_20181202_150805.thumb.jpg.529b3173cbd93070b3d16e81ea289d7a.jpg

opticaltrigger

Hi Guy's, small update. Success..........

After it's very long sleep the new engine has finally jumped into life again.

Went over to see Rich today, we had a final quick check round all the usual bits again. No leaks anywhere to be found so connected up the laptop, primed up the fuel and it fired rite up. Brought it straight up to a little over 2000 rpm and spent the next 20 minutes or so varying it between that and 2900 rpm till we were happy the new cam was broke in properly and there were no leaks anywhere.

From there we let it sit at a high idle of about 1100 rpm for another 10 minutes or so and shut it down.

What a long road it's been again with the engine but hopefully now with all the new bits it should all be good. As with any new fire up, it's always a bit stressful for the first 20 minutes or so but it's all gone well and the initial fire up and break in has all gone well.

As a quick update on the Evans coolant so far, for those interested...

All I can say is, that as advertised there appears to be no coolant system pressure ( we have a pressure gauge on the header tank ) and there also appears to be little or nothing in the way of expansion of the fluid itself. More updates on this stuff will follow as we progress with it.

All the best guy's,

O.T.

wicked

Great result!! 

Pressure gauge on the header tank B)     Like the idea!

Be careful that you don't get paranoia with to many gauges to watch...  :P

1476249_769284689814845_4367281847929632

opticaltrigger

Hi all again,

Thought I'd do a quick car update...

Since the last time we fired it up I made a few small tweeks to the map, and a few days back we loaded up the changes and fired it up again. 

It had only been started twice so far at this point for a total of about 25 minutes each time, so I was still a bit stressed about the cam. That in mind, we fired it up again, and one more time we ran it up and down between about 2 to 3 thousand rpm for about another 25 minutes or so. Well I think we can say now, that the new cam has broke in successfully anyway.

With that in mind, I'm fairly happy to have a go at setting up and messing with some sort of an acceptable idle now.

On the Evans coolant front, for those interested...

It's just really great and I cannot recommend it enough for these engines. It's one of those - "Why didn't I do this sooner" moments really..........

There are a couple of down sides, but it is only a couple and there small really compared to all the benefits.

1. It is expensive to start with. But you do get to keep it........ 

2. You really need to have some at hand to. So you have to order a little bit more than you need, to top up with if you have to. 

But all in all, it's going quite well with the car so far. The new engines doing all the rite things. The oil and coolant temperature's are good, the oil pressures good to. There's no nasty noises and it's very responsive on the pedal.... So far, so good.

Next time were planing to dump the oil and filter and then do a quick calibration run on the LC1 o2 sensor before we fire it up again. Personally, after the last time, I've developed a bit of a paranoia with these wide band controllers and calibration. 

Anyway, all the very best guy's

O.T.

Edited by opticaltrigger
  • Like 1

opticaltrigger

Hi again,

Thought I should do another update on the car being as Rich and I managed to catch up a few days ago and get a bit more done to it.

It's been a few months since we last fired it up so we started by dumping the oil and filter we used for breaking it in and replaced them. While Rich was doing that I got on and did the free air calibration on the wide band sensor, as I said I would last time. Just to be sure of it......

After that we did a double check on the ignition timing with it locked out using a strobe, both at cranking and idling. All was absolutely spot on there, didn't have to use any trigger angle adjustment at all on it.

After that we flicked the switch and it came straight back to life. 

This time, now content that the new cam was properly broke in we had a little play and managed to give it a happy idle of around 940 ish rpm. 

All the oil and coolant temperatures are stable and the oil pressure is fine to.

For those interested in the Evans coolant.... It's still exactly the same....... Excellent.

There was one little issue though. The alternator seems to have stopped charging and we only found out because the AFR gauge in Tuner Studio suddenly dropped out, then we noticed that the battery voltage was low.... So that's a little niggle to fix, but it's not really a big thing.

Rich has finished the new 3" exhaust he made, all the way to the back with some really great stainless hangers, and he's got the bonnet back from the sprayers with the new cooling vents in it and the holes under them cut out also. Should really go some way to keeping the under bonnet temperatures in the realms of sensible, hopefully.

I did take a couple of photos of it but I'm going to apologise for them because there not great as I took them with my phone and it was a dark day, It's a shame and I'll have to get some more, because the cars really starting to look good again now.

As things stand at the moment, bar a few silly bits it's kind of about ready for an MOT and a session on someones rollers to get the map calibrated properly this time from the get go. As at the moment it just has a very basic map that will run it and you could drive it, but you wouldn't want to put it under any real load though.

Anyway all the very best guy's,

O.T.

IMG_20190615_180727.thumb.jpg.ae4b9ceddc0213473ad01fd2af48b7da.jpgIMG_20190615_180803.thumb.jpg.d6dda0909376d4a74bf4e125aa09f555.jpg

opticaltrigger

Hi all,

A little more progress of late, so I thought I'd do another small update on things turbo 205 related.

Still haven't taken it for an mot yet or had it mapped properly yet but we have managed to get a few bits done. More Rich really, he's been super busy dealing with building an air filter housing, for the turbo to line up with the intake on the bonnet. As you can imagine, no small task... Fortunately the engine is solid mounted so there's not as much movement to deal with. Still, there is some so road testing will make any clearance issues apparent.

It's come out nice though and there's a nice rubber seal to go between the top of the housing and the under side of the bonnet.

We got the new alternator fitted up and all working properly again to.

I grabbed a few photos of the new air filter housing...

All the best guy's,

O.T.

IMG_20191013_135349.jpg

IMG_20191013_135428.jpg

Tom Fenton

Filter area looks far too small for decent power.

opticaltrigger

Ahh, I see...

Perhaps we should have spent more time thinking about this first before just diving in then,,,,,,,

How restrictive do you imagine that gauze filter medium is then Tom.... It's just that the data sheet for that particular area and piece of quality filter medium suggests that, not only can it pass enough air for the required air flow at the expected horsepower, but that it has some head room also.

Admittedly, it's particulate pass band and it's capture / hold characteristics aren't comparable with that of, say a modern AC Delco OEM unit. But then we don't need to offer a 100,000 mile warranty with the engine either.

I think it'll be enough area to make decent power.......

Nice of you to comment though.

All the best,

O.T

Edited by opticaltrigger