• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jrod

Uh Oh Part 2!

Jrod

So my awful luck continues:

When I bought the car (about 600 miles ago!) the spec was as follows

# Reground crank

# New main and big end bearings

# New ARP rod bolts

# New piston rings

# Skimmed flywheel

# Bottom end fully balanced

# Liners honed (very little wear showing)

# Block fully machined, including liner seats, decked, liner protrusion correctly set

# Piston crowns machined to restore compression ratio

On the way home at the weekend it developed a loud rattle (doesnt sound like big end bearings) and started burning lots of oil. I had been suffering with really bad oil surge all day (considering it was a fairly low speed autosolo and in the wet!) It's currently fitted with a GTI6 trapdoor sump, what other (better) options are there as this isn't good enough for the type of use I will be giving it.

Just done a compression test:

170 220 235 230

So obviously there is something wrong with at least 1 cylinder, what it is I won't find out until I get the head off.

Galifrey
So my awful luck continues:

When I bought the car (about 600 miles ago!) the spec was as follows

# Reground crank

# New main and big end bearings

# New ARP rod bolts

# New piston rings

# Skimmed flywheel

# Bottom end fully balanced

# Liners honed (very little wear showing)

# Block fully machined, including liner seats, decked, liner protrusion correctly set

On the way home at the weekend it developed a loud rattle (doesnt sound like big end bearings) and started burning lots of oil. I had been suffering with really bad oil surge all day (considering it was a fairly low speed autosolo and in the wet!) It's currently fitted with a GTI6 trapdoor sump, what other (better) options are there as this isn't good enough for the type of use I will be giving it.

Just done a compression test:

170 220 235 230

So obviously there is something wrong with at least 1 cylinder, what it is I won't find out until I get the head off.

Possible a valve has damaged a piston?

Jrod

Anythings possible I guess, Mates bringing his borescope round tonight so should know a little more then.

gti_al

A friend had a similar problem. We were on the freeway, then pulled over with smoke pouring out the back. I think it was a valve guide or something... It was strange though. It may not be totalled - Might be worth pulling the head off if the scope doesn't show anything

For surge I think peter's method makes the most sense. It is unwise to try and throw them around too much on anything less comprehensive

Edited by gti_al

Anthony

Did you try putting some oil down the bore on #1 to see if the compression improved noticeably?

Jrod

It went up to 180.

petert

Who would do such a thing? Surely you'd machine valve pockets for fatter cams, but not the crown throwing away compression and squish distance.

My guess is spun bearing, piston-rod moves up bore further, smacking into a valve, cracking a piston. But then you'd have bent valve and almost zero compression. Something along those lines though.

swordfish210

Any chance someone has replaced the engine with a diesel without you knowing ;) . Doesn't sound healthy at all, i would start by having a look down cylinder No1 with the endoscope, if that doesnt reveal anything then it's engine out and inspection time.

Galifrey

Did you replace a bucket on that cylinder?

Possible it was sticky and valve met piston?

Miles

As said last night, The piston crown edge could have started to melt down and caused something, But at least the engine's complete. If that was me a Rod with have came out thru the block to see daylight again

Jrod

Could see no problems with the borescope which was odd, Head off time. :lol::ph34r::D:(

DaveW

The worlds first mi16 diesel!

taylorspug

That sounds quite top-endish to me (again!). Valve stem dropped out maybe?

Cameron

Yeah, sounds like mine did when it had an empty tappet. This is the same one that you've had the valves replaced isn't it?

Jrod

It's not just a tappet as I heard it when it was just a tappet and this sound alot worse!

What from the head could make it burn oil?

Galifrey
It's not just a tappet as I heard it when it was just a tappet and this sound alot worse!

What from the head could make it burn oil?

valve stem I would guess...

timmsy19

sounds identical to mine currently :P

will be keepng an eye for progress

DaveW

You know what, my old cj engine smoked alot it turned out to be the valve stem had come off and stuck to the valve stem itself! might of happned here but untill you open er up no one knows...

Jrod

Started taking it apart. All the followers have gone soft but maybe this is where its not been run in a week. Cams look fine and there was lots of oil sitting in the head so doesnt seem like top ends been starved of oil.

Head off tomorrow.

Edited by Jrod

DrSarty

I don't understand this thing about the followers going soft.

When I refurbished mine, I checked the deflection possible on each one as per PeterT's advice, and basically they hardly moved. This is before they were put back in the engine!

I want to help but I'm confused.

Jrod

When I primed the lifters they are solid, when they have no oil in they are soft and springy. They have all now lost the oil that was in them so they are no longer hard.

Jrod

Problem found, I don't know whats going to of gone to caused it but I'm guessing little ends?

The piston will move about inside the liner, there is no marks on the liner though which explains why I didn't see anything with the borescope.

See the vid:

http://img9.imageshack.us/i/img0252.mp4/

DamirGTI

Id say something to do with the piston rings ;) either broken or stuck compressed to the piston , or severely oval liner .. if it was big ends me thinks that in this case it'll be more wobbly up and down rather that left to right ..

Damir :(