• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DrSarty

16valve Xu9 / Xu10 Inlet Port Spacing

DrSarty

Would someone kindly measure please - either from the cylinder head inlet ports or the inlet manifold runners for a Mi16/S16 or GTI6 - the diameter of the inlet ports and their relative spacings.

The reason is I'd like to visualise and carry out my (stubborn) plans to match my Nissan Pulsar GTIR throttle bodies to an Mi/S16 head. Blame Kyepan for giving me the idea. They are nicely made ITBs as it goes, minimum of 44mm dia going up to 47mm.

This picture of the Pulsar ITBs should help show what I'm after:

pulsarbodiesheadface5.jpg

The measurements on the above picture if they're not clear are:

*97.5mm between centre lines of ports for cyl 1+2 (or 3+4)

*44mm between inner edges of same

*inlet port dims 53.5 x 35mm

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rich

Edited by DrSarty

brumster

Measured on an unmodified 1.9 mi16 head :-

Width between port edges (your yellow) : 52mm

Width between port centres (your red) : 94mm

The ports in the head, ignoring the recess for the injector firing line, are 40mm diameter - and circular, of course.

Edited by brumster

DrSarty
Measured on an unmodified 1.9 mi16 head :-

Width between port edges (your yellow) : 52mm

Width between port centres (your red) : 94mm

The ports in the head, ignoring the recess for the injector firing line, are 40mm diameter - and circular, of course.

Beautiful matey. Thanks for the quick response.

I'll leave this thread live for a day and see if anyone has anything to add, and if not I'll close it.

:P

M@tt

i can measure my 6 head when i get home from work and post up :P

DrSarty
i can measure my 6 head when i get home from work and post up :P

Thanks Matt - it may be useful in future (for searches etc) to have all of the measurements in one place.

Brumster: still got your ruler or vernier out?

One thing I forgot to ask ( :P ) is whether the 4 inlet ports are uniformly spaced or not, as they are often grouped in pairs (1+2 and 3+4), a bit like the ITBs.

This 'pairing' is the way they were on the Saab 2.3 Turbo head they were going to go onto previously. Would someone check please, perhaps indicating the distance between the centrelines of ports 2+3? (On the Mi and GTI6 heads would be great, although I suspect they'll be identical).

Thanks again.

Edited by DrSarty

Batfink

not very constructive but i'm sure its more hassle than its worth to fit due to the poor match to the pug heads. Colin didnt like them i'm sure for this very reason.

brumster

They're all equal, mate :P. Might be nearer 53mm now I've measured it again :P

DrSarty
not very constructive but i'm sure its more hassle than its worth to fit due to the poor match to the pug heads. Colin didnt like them i'm sure for this very reason.

Well you're right Kev. Sandy and Colin said it to me directly, hence me saying 'stubborn' earlier.

But the matching isn't actually that bad; no more so than is on my bodies and manifold that they made for me.

The spacings are similar, e.g. 97.5mm ITB to 94mm head, so we're looking at a 1.75mm taper on the runners into towards the head which isn't much.

The port shapes I agree with though, although surface area-wise:

40mm dia port = 1257mm^2

and

ITB lozenge port = 1617mm^2

You should remember the huge debate we had about your TOCA Jenveys and inlet manifold and how they went from round ports into lozenge shape, wanting to know if the Peugeot 16v TOCA head had lozenge ports too and why.

The only awkward bit I can see is making the transition from lozenge to round to match the ports on the head. That means the air will come in through the trumpets in the filter and go round-lozenge-round again. Unless there's some real reason we shouldn't do this, I'm gonna crack on against the odds and get a manifold made, some how.

As I said, stubborn; and it's your mate Justin who started this, so give him a dead arm. :P

:P

Edited by DrSarty

Tom Fenton

My mate Phil bought a set of these for our Mi16. He then sold them on again after realising they are not a viable fitment for the Mi16 head, both in shape, and clearance of the engine mount/alternator.

DrSarty

Hmmm, interesting; and thanks Tom.

They are fairly chunky it has to be said. What was fouling on the engine mounting bracket?

Which way up did you try mounting them: fuel rail up, down or both?

I presume that all of the gubbins underneath fouled the alternator then, and was that with minimum bonnet clearance?

I just like a challenge that's all; but if you guys tried everything then it's really a non-starter.

:D

Sandy

With respect....

dead-end.jpg

welshpug
:D !