• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M_R_205

X-sport Bonnet

M_R_205

now that i have my car running all the little problems are reareing there ugly heads,

the latest one is when the car is over about 75-80ish the bonnet starts to flap at the front middle, and side middle,

Any ideas how i can cure this without having loads of bonet pins?? i was thinking about glueing 3 strips of aluminium around the edges, does anyone know if this will help??

the bonnet is an X-sport fiberglass auto styyle bonnet, with 2 areo catches at the front

SN200467.jpg

All suggestions welcome

Paul.

Edited by M_R_205

Batfink

go down to homebase and get a length of white plastic plumbers pipe. Get a cheap DIY fibreglassing kit and fibreglass it in to the front underside in the middle (from left to right) - worked on my old trackcar :angry:

James_R

Not to sounds stupid but are the bonnet bits on the right way round? mine are point end forward :s

welshpug

the Aerocatches? they do look to be back to front from what I remember of the fitting instructions, if not clipped down properly they can be opened by the wind if fitted incorrectly.

Ask swordfish what he did with his, as he had the same issue with the same bonnet.

Batfink

if its a skin it will most certainly be flexing as the air gets underneath.

M_R_205

Yea the catches are on backwards lol, but in my defence it wasnt me that fitted them, they were fitted when the car was sprayed, they do close fine and i cant see them opening with the wind, the problem is the skin its self as the wind is underneath il drop swordfish a pm see what he thinks,

Paul.

joe1joe

i have fitted mine the same as yours and there is no way they will open in the wind as you have to press the buton first. doesnt realy matter how u mount them unless u want to go into aero dynamics!!!

well i think maybe fibre glassing something as said above would work.... on my front bumber similer thing and used very thing stainless steel tube.

you could get away with just using fibre glass filler

pablo

sikaflex/tigerseal might do the job too. some flat steel bar would do the trick Im sure!

Cameron

Flat bar won't do, you need something with a thicker cross-section like a piece of ally angle or tube.

weejimmy

obviously a bit late now after a spray but i would have said, buy one of my auto bonnets that have return edges on them and dont flex.

can do them in single skin or with full bracing underneath oe style.

pm me if you want any info

swordfish210

I had the same problem, at about 80 mine would flap like crazy. I solved it by fitting a nice neat Dzus clip to the middle of the bonnet to clip it down to the slam pannel, i'll get a pic of it when i'm home but i'm stuck in the middle of the scottish highlands currently :P

swordfish210

Pics as promised. Spring clip in the slam pannel:

DSC00403.jpg

and all fitted up:

DSC00404.jpg

I think it looks pretty neat and tidy but feel free to disagree (and i'm aware that rhymes :) )

Paul_13

You should see my CF auto bonnet from Xsport, looks like it's going to take off!

swordfish210

Mines rocksoild now with the 5th clip in it, easy fix as well, Much better than glassing something in. I don't see why you would pay for a lightweight bonnet and then glass a load of weight back in to it.

Cameron

Pffft.. just hold the leading edge down with some gaffer tape.

swordfish210
Pffft.. just hold the leading edge down with some gaffer tape.

Bodger ;) I can't really say much though can i :rolleyes::ph34r:

M_R_205

Cheers for the reply mark, I will duck tape down the leading edge and take the car for a blast see if it helps, if it does il look into fiting somethign similar to what you have done, i cant belive that such a small clip would make all the difference!

Paul.

Henry 1.9GTi

put the flat bit of steel on its side? :ph34r:

Cameron

Could do, but it's STEEL! On a carbon bonnet!? :ph34r:

Fit a piece of ally. :D

A2TheA

i have one of these also. havent been out in the car so cant comment on the flapping i may or may not have. will keep an eye out here though

Aaron

M_R_205

Got this sorted on sat, i fiber-glassed a length of 5mm x 5mm aly square tube between the areo catches and its perfect, dosent flap at any speeds :lol:

Il get some pics up tomorrow so you can all see what i mean B)

Paul.

Para

This type of protection would definitely help as well:

wzmocnienia.jpg

A2TheA
Got this sorted on sat, i fiber-glassed a length of 5mm x 5mm aly square tube between the areo catches and its perfect, dosent flap at any speeds :)

Il get some pics up tomorrow so you can all see what i mean ;)

Paul.

did you have any pictures mate? i have managed to find an ally tube about 12mm diameter which im looking to fibre glass in.

from my last post i have now driven the car and anything near 50mph and the bonnet goes nuts!

Aaron