• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cybernck

[Misc_Work] 307 Breaknck

cybernck

Many thanks for the pics - looks like a worthwhile mod, so I'll definitely look into it! <_<

cybernck

While searching high and low for a subwoofer to suit my taste, I tried out several different

10" and 12" subwoofers but none of them was what I'd been looking for. What they've all

had it common was a vented (bassreflex) enclosure. I figured out I need a sealed box

setup and then this puppy came along:

307breaknck_049.thumb.jpg

Focal 33A 13-inch subwoofer in a compact sealed box. It worked like a dream and I've always

had a dream of having Focal speakers, so that was it! I also got a Kenwood 10 CD MP3 changer

and a 2-changer switcher with an additional AUX in. One of the small but important things I had

done was getting rid of the horrible licence plate holders and rivetting the plates on the car.

And then the BIG news, in every way - I got my new wheels! They are a replica of one of

my favourite wheels of all time - Arospeed RSGT. I went for graphite grey with polished rim

in 7.5x18" ET15 and with 225/40/18 tyres - they look great both off and on the car and fill

the arches perfectly.

307breaknck_054.thumb.jpg

Together with the coilovers, the car now feels and handles exactly as I wanted - very tight.

I later lowered the front of the car by further 10-15 mm to get a near-perfect stance.

And like the coilovers, the wheels came from the UK as well :).

Photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/307breaknck?page=4

Next update soon!

Henry Yorke

That looks fantastic Nik.

On the 5 stud kit, there was a guy in the PSOOC Yorkshire group about 10 years ago that ran Volvo T5 16" wheels on his 205 by redrilling the hubs and using one existing hole as they were 5 x 108.

I think I ought to look at spacers for my 307 too, especially with the arch extensions on it as the back looks skinny. However I also want to pop the SL434's on just for a laugh!

Galifrey

Sealed box gives much better quality of bass than a ported enclosure.

And way less chavvy!

cybernck

I decided to keep going with the Focal theme throughout the car, so I purchased nearly new

Focal 130CA (5"/13cm coaxials) speakers for the rear doors. Not that I will hear them much

but rear passengers may do.

307breaknck_066.thumb.jpg

Entry-level Focals versus entry-level Ground Zeros. Focals are more sensitive, go a touch deeper

have clearer mid-range and have a much more detailed tweeter. Focals also have bigger magnet,

wider and softer rubber suspension and swivel tweeter.

I also purchased and retrofitted a cruise control stalk, as I hate keeping my foot steady for hours

on highways. It's almost a plug & play affair, at least on my car, with throttle-by-wire and automatic

gearbox, only actions required are a small mod to a lower steering column cover and setup in BSI.

307breaknck_070.thumb.jpg

I've shown a step-by-step installation guide in the gallery, so take a look, if you're interested.

And finally, you can check the new ride height (after recent lowering) and see some interesting photos too:

307breaknck_079.thumb.jpg

Photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/307breaknck?page=5

cybernck

Focal 165 K2P component speaker set - pretty expensive, but once I heard them in action,

I simply couldn't listen to my Ground Zeros anymore and had to get them. I found a brand new

set in the UK. Very lucky find, as they're not in production anymore and used sets fetch high prices.

307breaknck_081.thumb.jpg

Midrange speaker with kevlar membrane, very detailed tweeters and adjustable crossovers.

Can't believe I actually have them now, as I've been dreaming about their predecessors (165K),

many years ago! :)

307breaknck_083.thumb.jpg

I managed to fit them onto the door cards, only just. They sound brilliant but will require proper

installation to make most out of them. I won't waste words trying to describe the difference

between them and my previous speakers.

Next, I fitted some frameless "aero" wiper blades but the other big news in this update is

a set of TSW Pace 7x18" ET18 wheels, that I got in exchange for my 17" Challengers:

307breaknck_091.thumb.jpg

They suit the car nicely and completely change the appearance, but they're up for sale,

as I prefer my RS-GTs :).

And finally, a photo of modified vs standard:

307breaknck_096.thumb.jpg

Modified wins :D.

Photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/307breaknck?page=6

Ludi

The pics are great,nice looking car,but take me an hour to see all the pics.

:P:lol: :lol:

cybernck

I decided to go full-on with the audio system, so I got a matching subwoofer for my

front speakers - Focal 33KX - 13-inch subwoofer in a custom sealed enclosure.

Kevlar membrane, dual voice coil, multiple magnets and the enclosure with more

volume than my last one - sounds amazing! :ph34r:

307breaknck_097.thumb.jpg

Cheap chinese rear parking sensors off eBay - a bit "paranoid" (i.e. too sensitive) but

should do their job. After marking the sensor locations, the bumper was drilled using

the supplied drill-bit.

307breaknck_099.thumb.jpg

A couple of holes had to be cut in the steel bar behind the bumper, for the inner pair of

parking sensors to sit in. Peugeot had already made a couple of holes for this reason,

but unfortunately their sensor arrangement was different to mine.

307breaknck_103.thumb.jpg

Then I turned my attention to removing the front bumper - not to install parking sensors,

but to change the headlights (not too clever a design)! I wanted black headlights but decided

against spraying my own set, so I got a brand new pair of black aftermarket headlights.

I chose the rare version with OE-style reflectors, instead of small HID-style lenses

(that everybody seems to go for). They've got "angel eyes" or "halo rings" - perhaps

a bit tacky, but they don't look bad and they're barely visible in daylight anyway.

307breaknck_108.thumb.jpg

Then I "bit the bullet" and finally made up my mind about spraying the exterior trim in white,

so I removed all of the black trim. Temporarily swapped the TSWs for my father's 406 Coupe

Hoggars (7x16" ET12 - nice and wide) :blush:. Work in progress, but you can get an idea of what

it will look like when finished.

307breaknck_110.thumb.jpg

The conclusion of this phase of mods will be revealed soon :ph34r:.

Photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/307breaknck?page=7

cybernck

In the meantime, I sold the original 16" Ariane wheels I got with the car and bought

another set of 17" Challengers, this time with the adequate 205/50/17 tyres.

307breaknck_113.thumb.jpg

And then I got busy again - rust on the rear steel bar eliminated, tailgate debadged,

all the bits picked up from the body shop and finally, everything put back on the car,

including parking sensors and wiring.

307breaknck_118.thumb.jpg

The new "face". The car looks rejuvenated, doesn't it? I now can't believe that I've ever

doubted if spraying the trim is the way to go! Looking really nice sunbathing and with

the Challengers on (obviously the nicest wheel design for 307s). Really fresh and modern

apperance, while still not looking modified:

307breaknck_119.thumb.jpg

And then some more photos, with RS-GTs back on again. The wheels and headlights are

in contrast with the body. It definitely requires a bit of getting-used-to, after having the

Challengers on for some time. Shame it was a dull day too.

307breaknck_127.thumb.jpg

The appeareance has definitely changed from non-modified to subtly-modified, especially

with a debadged/clean tailgate. I've intentionally left the Pug lion on. I need to do something

about that antenna though, it makes it look like a radio-controlled car :lol:.

And now... the conclusion - I'm really glad I've gone through with spraying the trim and

definitely won't be looking back! I'm curious to hear your opinion on this? :lol:

Photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/307breaknck?page=8

Liquid_106

Nice looking motor! :lol: Have you thought about spraying the Challengers a darker colour (same as the RS-GTs?) to keep it a little more OEM, but add a twist?

What's next??

Henry Yorke

Nik, you want an 806 aerial for it.

Not sure you can see it on this

6620_126037269668_648594668_3124737_3753376_n.jpg

I've just got some Eibachs for mine :lol:

cybernck

Not too bothered about the Challengers as they're only winter wheels.

I've just ordered a 6 cm aerial looking something like yours Henry :angry:.

I badly need a 307 CC steering wheel, so if anyone spots a 307 CC in a local scrapyard - please let me know!

Thanks.

GLPoomobile
Midrange speaker with kevlar membrane, very detailed tweeters and adjustable crossovers.

Can't believe I actually have them now, as I've been dreaming about their predecessors (165K),

many years ago! :)

I just sold a set of 165k to DrSarty. Never got to hear them in their glory though, since the muppet who fitted them made such a bad job of the installation.

I like what you've done with the 307. Just need a Taxi sign on the roof now though :lol:

DRTDVL
Nik, you want an 806 aerial for it.

I've just got some Eibachs for mine :lol:

Henry,

You can order them from here also. All the euro cars seam to have have the same antenna fitments, we swapped a vw, bmw, and pug ones around to check before we ordered.

This is my GF's car, its got the 35mm drop H&R's in it, the factory optioned 17's, and now has tinted windows (not in picture).

P1050394.jpg

I've also got a brand new factory rear spoiler to fit which i got for $11 NZD (4.89GBP) through a Dealer sale. I'd like to lower it more but it wouldn't be practical in NZ.

H&R's transformed the car handling wise.

Cybernck - love you headlights... would love a black housing for the car.

Edited by DRTDVL

Henry Yorke

I must admit I found the radio reception poorer with my 806 aerial but it is not that bad

DRTDVL - those wheels are not very common but they look nice. I was wondering if those chrome mirror tops and the SP chrome front bar would look nice on a black car - quite Audi RS4. Not so sure on a white one though.

cybernck

This year I've mostly been into cycling and then recovering from a non-cycling injury,

so this project had taken a back seat for a while, but nevertheless, here's a quick update.

I picked up Compomotive MO 7x17" ET15 wheels with 205/40/17 tyres, destined for 205 Mi32.

The 307 looked rather hardcore with it, I loved the looks.

307breaknck_129.thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, one of the front shock absorbers top mounts gave up the ghost (and the other

one was on it's way out). It took the wiper linkage out with it as well. I got them changed, but

I'll have to make some custom alloy ones, as the same thing will happen again sooner or later...

307breaknck_131.thumb.jpg

Back on 18's again. This time on TSW's. They suit the car much better now the trim is white.

307breaknck_134.thumb.jpg

That's it for now but you can expect a few more exciting updates soon :(.

Photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/307breaknck?page=9

cybernck

Hello everyone! There was a distinct lack of updates in this topic due to a vast disappointment

that came to me last year in a form of engine failure, which killed my enthusiasm as well, but now

I'm back on track with this little project. So, let's see what happened with this EW10 engine.

One morning, the engine had seized and evetually started up, running on three cylinders and

vigorously knocking. Having exhausted all the other options, I've had to get the car transported

to a Peugeot garage.

307breaknck_137.thumb.jpg

Guys at Brkic Servis feared the worst, as the coolant expansion tank was empty, meaning it

could be a case of a hydro-lock. They quickly removed and dismantled the engine.

The head showed no signs of damage and the head gasket didn't have any obvious indications

of failure either. Still, the head was sent off for a rebuild and a leak-down test.

307breaknck_140.thumb.jpg

Moving onto the bottom end, the problem was obvious - first cylinder (from the cambelt side)

was a few milimeters down the bore, which meant a bent conrod :-(.

Bent in all three dimensions! Luckily, the crank escaped unharmed. A replacement conrod and

piston were sourced. We then decided to make a full service on the engine, so replaced the

timing belt and tensioners, water pump, all the gaskets, seals etc as well.

307breaknck_141.thumb.jpg

Back together - running sweet and I should be without worries now. The thing is, I thought

I wouldn't have to worry about it in the first place, wth such a young car by my standards :-).

Also, I sold the TSW 18" wheels and temporarily had the car rolling on 7-spoke 207 16" wheels.

307breaknck_144.thumb.jpg

Like I said, the project is back on track now, so you can expect several prompt updates soon :-).

Photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/307breaknck?page=9

cybernck

Time to move on to happier updates, I think! Haha.

It's time to revisit and finally complete the audio system, starting with a messy job of properly

installing the front speakers at long last! Typical French - holes everywhere in the door, except

where I need one to be.

307breaknck_146.thumb.jpg

Inner skin was cut-out and prepared to take a custom MDF speaker pod. With the pod in place

and firmly attached to the door's inner skin, we treated outer skins, pods and door cards treated

with a couple of coats of bitumen, for at least some vibration damping.

307breaknck_148.thumb.jpg

And finally, speaker installed and all the holes sealed. What an unbelievable improvement of

my audio system, quite possibly the biggest single upgrade I've done so far!

307breaknck_150.thumb.jpg

Door cards back on, though I did have to remove the lower hole cover I had made, so I will

have to revisit it later and also add LOADS of Dynamat or such material everywhere in the doors.

307breaknck_151.thumb.jpg

The next update will be all about audio as well :).

Photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/307breaknck?page=10

DRTDVL

Do you have any information on how you fitted the cruise control and what needed to be done?

I wouldn't mind doing it to ours.

DRTDVL

ours is a 2004 so they should be the same.

cybernck

Time to finally complete my envisaged audio system!

307breaknck_153.thumb.jpg

Out with the old 4-channel amplifier (Magnat Rave 440, on the left, good little amp), in with

the new one (Focal FP 4.75, on the right). Specs: 4 x 75W @ 4 ohms, 4 x 100W @ 2 ohms,

2 x 200W @ 4 ohms. Full active crossover and an output for a second amp.

307breaknck_154.thumb.jpg

Previous configuration was 2+1 ch, but since I'm going to run front Focal 165K2P speakers

on Focal FP 4.75 in bridged mode with low gain, it's accompanied by it's monoblock brother,

Focal FP 1.800 (with remote gain control) for the subwoofer.

307breaknck_158.thumb.jpg

Specs: 1 x 400W @ 4 ohms, 1 x 600W @ 2 ohms, 1 x 800W @ 1 ohm. Focal 33KX beast

will be unleashed :-).

307breaknck_159.thumb.jpg

Additional wiring was required for the additional amp.

With the front speakers properly installed and with the addition of new amplifiers, I am very

happy with my audio system now! I keep hearing details I previously haven't, in the same

tracks and songs. Next mods will be sound deadening and a better headunit.

As you can see, the 18" RS GT wheels are back on the car as well :).

Photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/307breaknck?page=10

cybernck

With the audio install finished at long last, it was time to turn my attention to exterior and

fit parts I've had laying around for quite some time, but the first job was to get the bodywork

cleaner and shinier by a professional polisher.

307breaknck_161.thumb.jpg

Then came a long awaited solution to a "radio controlled car" antenna, in form of a short

OE antenna, part number 6561.QQ, found on various models (607, 807 etc). Fits nicely

and radio reception seems fine, but I don't listen to radio at all, so it doesn't matter to

me either way :).

307breaknck_163.thumb.jpg

Someone had stolen my rear wiper blade a long time ago and the wiper arm (6429.T8)

had a lot of play in it, so I bought both parts new. The wiper arm required a bit of persuasion

from an angle grinder to come off though.

307breaknck_164.thumb.jpg

As I decided to update the tails lamps to Phase 2, I went for Phase 2 side indicators as well.

6325.G3 - 206 Phase 2 side indicators (x2). Exactly the same as 307 items (6325.G4) but at

half a price. Go figure. Not too visible in daytime, as the bulb is hidden.

307breaknck_166.thumb.jpg

Phase 2 tail lamps! Compared to Phase 1 lights, they look much brighter, fresher and more red,

thought with a bit of a "China" look and feel to them. They fit the car straight on, but you need

additional two 5W bulbs, compared to Phase 1 lights.

307breaknck_169.thumb.jpg

Exterior mods completed. Not much of a photo, but shows how shiny the car is.

307breaknck_172.thumb.jpg

That's it for the bodywork mods, for the time being anyway.

Photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/307breaknck?page=11

cybernck

Here's a small but sweet update :).

The almighty 6554F4 ESP OFF switch :-). Don't know what the price is, as I got it

as a part of a 307 CC center console.

307breaknck_173.thumb.jpg

I really can't understand the logic of having all the wiring installed, as well as the feature

implemented, but deciding to blank it off instead of fitting a switch! :-/ The new button

fits straight in.

307breaknck_176.thumb.jpg

Et voila! I can now turn off the ESP and traction control off, which is required sometimes

when the ECU can't figure out what's the best thing to do.

Full-size photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/307breaknck?page=11

cybernck

With my cycle racing season finally over, I'm going ahead with my little project, finally mounting

some parts I've had laying around for nearly a couple of years now. Here you can see 307 Automatic

alloy pedal set I got off eBay, a genuine 307 CC leather steering wheel form a UK breaker's yard

and finally, some genuine 307 alloy front sill plates, part number 9623.76, also an eBay special.

307breaknck_177.thumb.jpg307breaknck_178.thumb.jpg307breaknck_179.thumb.jpg

Mounting the brake pedal using supplied allen screws is straightforward after removal of the original

rubber pedal cover, as the holes for the screws are already there. However, throttle pedal was a bit

of a challenge and had to be removed because of the construction of the pedal.

307breaknck_181.thumb.jpg

It would have been nearly impossible to position it right while at the same time manage to bolt it up,

so we riveted it on instead. The removable leg rest offers easy mounting of the leg rest pedal.

We opted for riveting on this one as well.

307breaknck_183.thumb.jpg

Next up, the steering wheel. After disconnecting the battery, airbag is easily removed using two

flat-headed screwdrivers inserted in the holes at the back of the steering wheel. A word of warning -

do not fully unscrew and remove the main torx bolt until you've managed to release the steering wheel

from the steering crown, as you'll probably end up tearing off all the airbag connectors!

307breaknck_184.thumb.jpg

Fitting the other wheel is a reverse of the removal. And there are no spare bolts left, for a change! :-)

307breaknck_185.thumb.jpg

And finally, fitting the sill plates is super-easy and quick, as it comes with a self-adhesive tape

on the back. You just need to lift the plastic cover and rubber seal off of the sill seam, clean up

and degrease the surface, test-fit the sill plate and and then stick it on. Job done!

307breaknck_186.thumb.jpg

I will continue with this "307 CC interior upgrade pack" in the next update too :).

Full size photos available here: http://photos.cybernck.com/307breaknck?page=12