• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cybernck

[Misc_Work] 307 Breaknck

cybernck

Finally, I start a little story about my new car.

After 7 years of owning my lovely white 1993 405 T16, I've had to make a big change and sell it to fund something

more reliable, newer and with more boot space for my bicycles. The T16 went to the UK and I was on a lookout

for a 307, firstly an SW, but then i decided to get an ordinary Estate. I'd gone off of an idea of getting a diesel

powered car and wanted a relaxed drive, so I narrowed my choice to a 2.0 16v with Automatic transmission

and full optional equipment.

307breaknck_001.thumb.jpg

The trouble was, when I entered that info in mobile.de, I found only six cars with those properties, out of more than

1500 307 Estates for sale ;), so when I got a call from someone local who offered me exactly what I'd been after,

freshly imported from SUI and registered (and for a very good price), I've had to take it, eventhough it was the only

"colour" that I didn't want to get, doh.

So there you go, a nice, 5-year old at the time of purchase (a year and a half ago) 307, which is above my average

owned car age by far :ph34r:.

307breaknck_002.thumb.jpg

The same colour scheme as the T16, but 10 years, 85 bhp and 2 driven wheels less ;). It's packed with equipment,

starting with a sequental automatic (4-speed) gearbox, ABS, ESP, GPS, GSM, MP3, board computer, automatic aircon,

all 4 automatic windows, electric folding mirrors etc etc, just lacking half-leather seats I've had in all my cars so far :lol:.

After a mandatory checkup, oil and filter change and tracing the horrible knocking sound to one of the ARB bushes,

the car was ready for the road and I was ready to start customising it accoring to my vision of what a 307 Estate was

supposed to look like to begin with :).

Photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/307breaknck

To be continued...

Kev-G

Interested in seeing where this goes - I've also got a 307 SW (I thought that Peugeot had taken to calling ALL estates SW's).

Bought in the rain and repaired by Stevie Wonder and painted by his dog!!

Currently running on 16" OZ Polaris (which I had lying around) with an additional rear ARB (MASSIVE difference).

Plans are:

Sort the bodywork (now that some little ba$tards have run over the roof)

Front Mount Intercooler (lying in the garage with most of the pipework), S/S Exhaust + Re-Map

Fit adjustable top-mounts to dial in as much caster as possible.

Lower (depending on the results of the top mount investigation)

Probably upgrade wheels to 17"

Enough of a hi-jack - Let's see where you've got to now!!

Batfink

I've got some bargain price bilstein coilovers for these at work :P

cybernck

No, SW has a panorama/glass roof and three individual seats in the back, body coloured trim,

and silver detailing on the outside. Break/Estate is a non-sunroof with conventional 1/3-2/3

folding seats in the back, black exterior trim (at least in Ph1 guise) etc.

Let me know the outcome of your search for adjustable top mounts - I'm interested as well.

Additional rear ARB sounds interesting - have you got any pics of this modification?

Are you also planning on fitting a (front) strut brace?

cybernck

I suspect someone from Peugeot management comes along when the car design is finished

and orders the engineers to raise the car by 10 cm's or something, as the height of new cars

in general, especially Peugeots, looks really artificial, compared to the car shape. At least from

my designer's point of view.

307breaknck_013.thumb.jpg

And not just that but the body roll and suspension travel made for a boat-like driving "pleasure".

Maybe it's down to me, as I'm used to sporty cars (205 GTI and 405 T16) but driving the 307

made me sick, quite literally, and I was scared to take corners. Luckily, the cure for the sickness

and the design error came from the UK in a form of a Jamex coilover kit:

307breaknck_016.thumb.jpg

Mounting it was a straight-forward job for Brkic Servis guys and here's the result:

307breaknck_032.thumb.jpg

This has completely transformed the way the car handles - excessive body roll pretty much

eliminated, sharper turn-in, faster shock absorbing etc - and was definitely worth the money,

but it has also shown that the "balloon" tyres will have to be replaced with something that will

work better in conjunction with the coilovers.

Photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/307breaknck

And the story continues...

Kev-G

Looks MUCH better now..

I don't think that Peugeot differentiated in the UK I was under the impression that since the 206 all the estates have been SW's. Mine doesn't have the panoramic roof which is a pity, but I'd rather not have all the silver trim anyway.

Rear ARB is a Whiteline Bar for a MkIV Golf with slightly modded mounts and shorter drop links - I'll get some pics at some point.

Front top mounts will hopefully get looked at in a couple of weeks + then we'll see what needs to be done on the suspension front.

Kev-G
I've got some bargain price bilstein coilovers for these at work :(

Let me know the spec. + price..

Henry Yorke

I'm also interested in some Bilstein Coilovers if they will fit a standard 307 90 HDI.

On mine, the biggest difference was changing from 15" to 17" wheels. Having driven it with 206 GTI 180 (7J, wider offset and 40 profile tyres) it handled so much better than the 307 Challenger wheels (17", 6.5J, 50 profile tyres). I am looking to put some spacers on the back of mine at some point.

This looks awesome IMHO

post-3457-1255347371_thumb.jpg

There was a lovely white GTI6 engined 306 SW at Pugfest this year too.

Edited by Henry Yorke

cybernck

Kev> Does your have the SW badge on the tailgate or not then? Really interested in seeing the rear ARB pics.

Henry> Yeah, that one's awesome. I'm thinking of removing the roof bars but still haven't decided for or against it.

cybernck

After I fitted the coilovers - the wheels and tyres were next on the list. I tried out my 307 CC

Challenger wheels (6.5x17" ET31) that I bought a few years ago with the intention of fitting

them on my "future" 307 ;). I couldn't get hold of the 205/50/17 tyres (OE size), so I tried them

on with 205/45/17, but they were skinny for the 307's arches thus I decided to take them off.

307breaknck_033.thumb.jpg

My 205 GTI needed a new battery, so I nicked it from the 307, which I replaced with a new

Varta Silver Dynamic 63Ah battery. That was a perfect timing as I was just about to start

fitting some audio equipment - a mixture of what I've already had and what I was able to

get in exchange for some work :D. The original 307's 6-speaker audio system is horrible,

much worse than some other manufacturers' I'd say - and with an equally crappy preparation

for a better system (front woofers mounted on a rattly door card and with next to no volume

to work from).

307breaknck_043.thumb.jpg

For the front speakers I got Ground Zero Titanium mk2 16.5 cm / 6.5" component speakers,

while for the rears I got 13 cm / 5" coaxials, from the same GZ range. The amplifier for the

front speakers (and a fututre sub-woofer) is an old but nice Magnat Rave 440, while the

headunit is an old trusty Kenwood cassette player with a 10 CD changer - this is my third

car I've installed it in :).

307breaknck_048.thumb.jpg

The 307 is now a much nicer place to be in :).

Photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/307breaknck?page=3

Next update soon...

Henry Yorke

When I had the 180 wheels on mine they just looked way too small and that was with 40 profile tyres and I have the SP arch extensions on too

cybernck

Yep - 45 was a bit better but 50 is what's really needed for the 307, so I decided to wait for the right set.

Kev-G

No SW badge on the back so maybe your right - I wasn't aware of the differentiation before.

I'll get pics of the ARB soon(ish)!!

Are you alo going to use spacers with the 307CC wheels? Is ET31 not too much (I've currently got 16" with ET18/19, but the tyre roll is just too much).

I'm sure I've got one of those Kenwood Desk + Changers..

Henry,

That black one looks lovely - Do you know if it uses 4>5 stud adaptors or modified hubs? I was looking @ the 17" wheels fited to the 407, but the rear hubs look too different just to be a straight swap.

cybernck

That's the standard ET and the same wheel width/ET as the 16's B).

Though with 15-ish mm spacers it would look and perform a lot nicer.

I've tried 7x16" ET12 406 Coupe wheels on and they gave mu lowered 307 a race-car stance B).

I dislike wheelspacers that carry all the weight and load - and I've got the same feelings for the adaptors.

But please contact them - I'd like to see pics of that 5-to-4 stud adapter. Or i will?

Thanks.

Galifrey

Hubcentric spacers spread the load onto the hub, good steel spacers can do a very good job. I would not feel so confident with alloy ones, but OZ even supplied those for fitting my Superleggeras onto my ford hubs, think I still have them somewhere.

cybernck

What I meant is that I don't like spacers that require you to have 8 bolts per wheel.

Straight-through spacers with longer bolts or studs is what's I'd go for.

Galifrey
What I meant is that I don't like spacers that require you to have 8 bolts per wheel.

Straight-through spacers with longer bolts or studs is what's I'd go for.

Yeah, they are for changing PCD, not a great idea imho either

Kev-G
But please contact them - I'd like to see pics of that 5-to-4 stud adapter. Or i will?

Thanks.

Already asked for further details, but I'm sure the only way to change 4 stud to 5 stud woud be a bolt-on spacer such as this.

My wheels came off a 306 and have been on various 205's so ET 18/19 would sound right - I still think that there is a little space to push them out so ET12 sounds like it would look good.

Galifrey,

These look like steel to me, but I've also had 20mm Alloy ones which worked fine before. Key is definately in being hub-centric.

cybernck

Ofcourse, these simply have to be bolt-on B), but I want to see what do they look like (and maybe even get a set).

The other option is to drill the discs and hubs to 5x108 - some people have done that and it works out fine (if more work!).

Kev-G

5-Stud Adaptors

1 bolt goes right through the adaptor into the hub.

Come with tapered bolts so std. Peugeot wheels will need some taper to flat washers (OK for after-market wheels)

Galifrey
5-Stud Adaptors

1 bolt goes right through the adaptor into the hub.

Come with tapered bolts so std. Peugeot wheels will need some taper to flat washers (OK for after-market wheels)

They look pretty tough!

cybernck

Haha, I was expecting one bolt to go straight through, but wanted to see if they'd supply a longer bolt too.

I like it and I may get a set, but I'll try to stick to 4x108 whels :(.

Thanks!

richsmells
There was a lovely white GTI6 engined 306 SW at Pugfest this year too.

I can't remember the guy's name but he came along to the last Dorset meet I went to whilst he was visiting relatives. Think he said he has a couple of 205s but not on here.

Kev-G

Rear ARB:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f44/Kev-...rs/HPIM4750.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f44/Kev-...rs/HPIM4749.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f44/Kev-...rs/HPIM4753.jpg

Golf IV Kit. U brackets adapted slightly (big hammer) to fit rear beam. Mounts to the bottom of the rear shock modified. Shorter drop links (although std. Golf ones would still have fitted).

Going to stiffen it up (as it's adjustable), but probably could do with a thicker bar.