• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

skeggyrik

[car_overhaul] Miami16. The Story Of Slowly Progressing 205 Build.

Veero

Ah my old wheels have turned up, I have to say for some reason they look much much better on a Miami than they did on my Cherry Red.

Looking good.

skeggyrik

Big progress on last Sunday. The engine and gearbox are now back in the car.

Once I'd got the alternator, starter and few other bits back on the engine it was time to drop it off the engine stand to fit the flywheel and clutch. No problems there and I made sure I lined up the marks put on them when I had them balanced over at autosprint along with the crank and rods.

Next job was to get the gearbox on. Wasn't too bad in the end just mildly awkward on my own. 99% sure the new clutch release bearing was still sitting right when it went on, I will soon find out if it’s not. I was scratching my head for a couple of minutes at the start as I hadn’t removed the steel bottom cover that fastens to the gearbox behind the fly wheel. With that off it went on easy enough. Must be much more of a pain doing this job with the engine in the car!

With the gearbox fitted I got it all up in the air and dragged it over to car and hovered it over the hole. It was a bit of mare getting it in as I was doing this without the aid of load leveller and the fact I've got the subframe on meant there was less room to swing it about then when I originally took it out. I roped the wife into helping for this bit as I would have had no chance on my own. She was glad to help, especially as it was one of the more exciting parts. I’ve yet to see her volunteer for degreasing anything or crawling around under the car….. So after a lot of wagging, pushing, wiggling and “up and downing” on the crane it was back in the bay sat on its mounts. I was very pleased.

th_DSC06548.jpg

th_DSC06552.jpg

th_DSC06550.jpg

Ready to leave the stand

th_DSC06557.jpg

th_DSC06559.jpg

th_DSC06561.jpg

Off the stand and ready for the flywheel and clutch

th_DSC06562.jpg

th_DSC06564.jpg

th_DSC06566.jpg

Clucth and flywheel on

skeggyrik

th_DSC06568.jpg

th_DSC06569.jpg

th_DSC06571.jpg

Mi16 gearbox on, fool removed from engine bay

th_DSC06572.jpg

Help from the missus

th_DSC06575.jpg

Happy to see it back in!

The next job is to get everything tightened up properly and get the driveshafts on.

With the engine back in I can now fit the master cylinder and get the brakes bled. I also need to get the handbrake sorted. I now have even less confidence in leaving sat with bricks behind the wheels as the only thing stopping it running off down the road. I need a set of handbrake cables but GSF didn't have any in the last time I went in. I’ll get the gear rods on so I can at least leave it in gear.

Engine came out in September 07 so mentally it was very good to get it back in there.

Onwards…….

Anthony

Good work, and coming along nicely ;)

Signature needs updating now though....

skeggyrik
Signature needs updating now though....

Of course!

Makes it all the more worth while ;)

Tom Fenton

Once the shafts etc are in you can leave it in gear and that should also stop it running away. If you do this before its fired up it may be wise to put a little oil down the bores.

jackherer
I'll get the gear rods on so I can at least leave it in gear.

You don't need gear rods to leave it in gear, just put the box in gear manually under the bonnet.

maturin23

Nice one Rik - just ploughed through the thread from start to finish. Well written - a good read.

:)

skeggyrik

Well I'm now back from a 3 month trip to South America, so I will be looking to resurrect this thread and finally get the 205 finished.

It helps that I'm now unemployed and have lots of time, just a shame that also means I have no budget.

I'm hoping I already have all I need to get it finished!

lukesaddy

just read your whole thread, very nice car :)

this is the car i wanna rebuild, a miami 1.9 :D

skeggyrik

Well i started playing with the car again the other weekend, the first time I have touched the car this year!

I have been playing with the loom trying to remember where is all goes. :)

I have not been on here in a while, I will try and keep this updated with the progress I make.

Out of interest, is anyone on here making Mi16 - 205 looms yet? I know few of you have made them, just wondered if anyone has gone to the next step?

Anthony

You're still around then Rich! Still got and enjoying the Elise?

If you get stuck with the loom, give me a shout as I've converted numerous Mi looms in the past.

skeggyrik
You're still around then Rich! Still got and enjoying the Elise?

If you get stuck with the loom, give me a shout as I've converted numerous Mi looms in the past.

I'm still around, I have just had other priorities like finding work after my return from travels. :)

The elise went and that funded the South America trip, I do miss it. The replacement car is a 1994 318ti, it'll do for a bit.

I would love someone to take a look at the loom and have a sort out. Next time you are passing let me know. i'll get the kettle on and you can me an opinion on the job that has been done and some pointers to get on with.

Do you still have my number?

Anthony

If it's still the one that ends 588, then yes, I have :)

I'll likely be up your way next month, so I'll pop over then for a brew and to have a look at the mass of multicoloured spaghetti...

skeggyrik
If it's still the one that ends 588, then yes, I have :lol:

I'll likely be up your way next month, so I'll pop over then for a brew and to have a look at the mass of multicoloured spaghetti...

That's the one. Drop me line, will be good to see you.

It is the BX loom so it's mostly spagetti verde ;)

alex205mi16

You finished this yet? Or too busy going sideways in that roaring 6 pot?

Can't believe my login still works!

skeggyrik

You finished this yet? Or too busy going sideways in that roaring 6 pot?

Can't believe my login still works!

No i have not finished it yet Alex.

I need a final push to finish in 2011... not touched it for ages.

As Alex has mentioned I have been playing in a 328i sport coupe recently.

The 205 is now known as the drive ornament, I need to change that! I had a guy who delivers for Sainsbury's say it had been a year since he last delivered to us and he was hoping to see it up and running when he pulled up the road. He looked disappointed in me, the wife was in bits laughing.

So, brakes, cooling and electrics and it's done......

skeggyrik

Right then. I need to finish this project this year!!!!

Shame I can't remember where is all goes it's been so long :blush:

cybernck

Any updates on this? I need some inspiration :blush:.

skeggyrik

Well the 205 got loaded onto a trailer and towed from the Midlands down to Dorset on Friday night. The first time it has been off the drive in 6.5 years (where does the time go?). Moving house in a couple of weeks so my hand was forced to get something sorted with it.

On Saturday morning it was driven over to Miles at Pugracing not too far up the road in Hampshire, to see if he can make some more progress with it than I have managed in the last couple of years.

Exciting.

skeggyrik

Well it runs..... which is good news, so far so good on the engine rebuild. It has been run up to temperature tonight and there are a few niggles to sort I'm told.

Miles has been busy sorting this out for me. :D

Can't wait to drive it again it's been aaaaaaaaaaaaggggges.

Edited by skeggyrik
  • Like 1

skeggyrik

13,455 views of this thread?!!

Henry Yorke

13,455 views of this thread?!!

That must be because you have taken so long!

skeggyrik

I got a nice little text today.

It read:

"MOT'd"

:D

• Like 1

skeggyrik

So I did a track day at Donnigton park in this 205 a couple of months ago and had great time. I wrote a little bit on that so will have to post it up.

A minor hiccough on the day was overcome (thanks to Anthony for some advice on that) but otherwise the car was faultless. Donnignton was a fair trek up from Bournemouth but the drive up was brilliant.

The alternator gave up on the way home which was annoying but hey. That has now been replaced with a new one and new battery so all is good again.

The car isn't getting much use now so it looks like I will be finally coming round to the idea of moving on from it and getting it sold.

205 prices seem to all over the place at the minute. No idea what to expect.

For sale ad will be going up once I've had some time to take some more recent pictures and gauge the market. The paint is suffering now, the lacquer has gone and it needs some attention. That is something I am not going to be doing in my ownership so it needs to go to new home. Other than that it should be a good car for the next owner..... will be a very sad after so long owning and working on it.

Pictures from Donnington below.

IMG_8495.jpg

IMG_8500.jpg