• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
steve@cornwall

1.6 Carbed Engine Into Tu

steve@cornwall

I'm thinking of putting a 1.6 GTi lump in my 1.1, using the carb from an auto. rather than the injection. I'm assuming the ignition wiring from the TU will be sufficient? And that the dizzy from the auto will be required. I can't remember if the auto uses a mechanical or tank mounted (electric) pump, any ideas?

Subframe and all front suspension will be GTi stuff and prob. a 1.9 BE3 'box, Has anyone run a similar set up? I believe a single carb 1.6 was available on many non-uk models so maybe someone has experience. Spec is mainly dictated by what I already have in the garage!!!

sub205
I'm thinking of putting a 1.6 GTi lump in my 1.1, using the carb from an auto. rather than the injection. I'm assuming the ignition wiring from the TU will be sufficient? And that the dizzy from the auto will be required. I can't remember if the auto uses a mechanical or tank mounted (electric) pump, any ideas?

Subframe and all front suspension will be GTi stuff and prob. a 1.9 BE3 'box, Has anyone run a similar set up? I believe a single carb 1.6 was available on many non-uk models so maybe someone has experience. Spec is mainly dictated by what I already have in the garage!!!

why not using a 1.6 TU engine? less weight, better headflow, smaller parts ...

the 1.6 xu is probably not the best choice when you can get the same volume with a tu-engine.

steve@cornwall
why not using a 1.6 TU engine? less weight, better headflow, smaller parts ...

the 1.6 xu is probably not the best choice when you can get the same volume with a tu-engine.

Because I have a choice of XUs in the garage and no TUs, I can also use the GTi subframe without having to modify the linkage mounts :)

RossD

1.6 TU is actually heavier than the 1.6 XU - The TU has an iron block. Not that it matters anyway :rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this