• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
zebedy101

205 - Gti6 Rev Counter

zebedy101

hi there

right this is a bit of a tricky one i have done a search but it didnt quite come up with what i was looking for. i am in the middle of the 6' conversion and im now at the point were i have all the parts needed bar the rev counter.

would anyone be able to tell me how to make the 205 rev counter work with a gti6 engine please?

iv looked at the spoox website and they sell a converter for silly money but im not prepared to pay £70 just yet as it must be a fairly simple part to make myself?

many thanks for any help.

seb.

All Praise The GTI

speak to spiky mate :)

gti-si

Ther's a wiring diagram about somewhere on here, piece of piss to make yourself with a trip to maplin and will set you back about £1.50 if that. Basically from each negative take off from the coil you need a 1 watt recifier diode (IN4004 available from maplin) so you have 4 of these, they then run in to two wires, one with a 15v zener diode (maplin do a 1.3 watt which works fine) which then goes to your tacho (grey 112 IIRC) and the other going to earth with a 1k resistor in between.

That's how I did mine, works a treat. The actual zener should be IN4744 but there a pig to get hold of unless you want a full batch, like I say, Maplin do a 1.3 watt 15v that works spiffingly

zebedy101
Ther's a wiring diagram about somewhere on here, piece of piss to make yourself with a trip to maplin and will set you back about £1.50 if that. Basically from each negative take off from the coil you need a 1 watt recifier diode (IN4004 available from maplin) so you have 4 of these, they then run in to two wires, one with a 15v zener diode (maplin do a 1.3 watt which works fine) which then goes to your tacho (grey 112 IIRC) and the other going to earth with a 1k resistor in between.

That's how I did mine, works a treat. The actual zener should be IN4744 but there a pig to get hold of unless you want a full batch, like I say, Maplin do a 1.3 watt 15v that works spiffingly

thats great thanks very much ill see if i can make something up.

many thanks.

seb

welshpug

I've made a few, doddle to make and I got the Zener from Maplin like gti-si, got the other one off ebay and the 1k resistor from RS, about a quid's worth plus some wire to connect it all up next to the ecu plug.

zebedy101

time to refresh the old high school memory on using a soldering iron. thanks alot for the diagram im pretty sure im capable of doing it, maplins are out of stock of the diodes though typically.

again many thanks for all the help its very much appreciated.

Spiky

that diagram isn't quite right, you neen to attach to all FOUR coils

gti-si

Yeah I know what you mean, but I think it's relatively obvious

Spiky
Yeah I know what you mean, but I think it's relatively obvious

to someone who know's the setup, but for someone not knowing, they might just think they need two :lol:

dandanger

i have no taco with my gti6 so am i right in thinkin i have to take a feed from all 4 coil packs or just 1?

welshpug

al 4 yeah, no need to put it by the coils, I put it next to the ecu, keep the wire lengths down and nice and neat.

Spiky

I put mine under conduit after it comes out the coil pack cover, all hidden away then :)

dandanger

what colour wires behind the clocks?

welshpug

can't rmemebr what coloiur, but no need to take the clocks apart, wire 112 in the brown miltiplugs.

Spiky

There is a 3 pin plug on the rear of the dash that's the rev counter

1 is a live

1 is a earth

1 is the tacho feed wire 112, which runs down to the 6 pin brown plug under the dash and is blue at the brown plug end

dandanger

thank you think a trip to maplin is in order :)

shalmaneser

you don't need to buy ANYTHING to make the rev counter work. Look at my build thread (in my sig) towards the end, obviously!

• Like 1

dandanger

just solder and job done???

dandanger

id also like to get oil pressure gauge to work what do i need ?

dandanger

just gotta say the soldering trick worked a treat cheers shalmaneser!!!

tonester84

Hi I've got the xu10j4r engine in mine, will this rev counter mod work for me too? Only reason I ask is I've tried the solder connection method but still no rev counter. Any help and info would be appreciated, it's j plate 1991 car and the engine is from a 98 plate 306 xsi if that helps. I used most of the gti6 loom info as a guide as all numbers and colours matched.

Thanks Tony

pugdamo

There's the diagram should you need it

Sorry to go off topic but would you know if this diagram is right for the 2.0 turbo?The 2 coil wires shown would i just connect them to the ignition module triggers?

Spiky

Sorry to go off topic but would you know if this diagram is right for the 2.0 turbo?The 2 coil wires shown would i just connect them to the ignition module triggers?

yes thats correct, thats where my looms connect on the 2.0 turbo conversions