• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Daviewonder

[engine_work] Daviewonders Laser Green 205

Daviewonder

Hello all im Dave and this is my first engine conversion. Ive swapped engines in the past but only 'like for like' so this will be my biggest mission yet. I hope you will read along and I will be very grateful if you would be kind enough to help me if I get stuck. Ive done quite a lot of research into the swap. So here goes....

I bought the car a few weeks back as it was for sale as an ideal project because the 2.0 hdi engine it was fitted with had thrown its timing belt and the engine was dead.

Here is the ad -

205 1.9 Gti Laser Green

No sunroof

Here we have my laser green 205 Gti. The shell is rust free and the paint is in great condition for its age, as it's been dry stored for the last 3 years. It comes with the bonnet shown, which is from an automatic so has the buldge in it.

Also included are:

306 Gti 6 wheels that have almost new tyres on them

2.5" Powerflow stainless steel exhaust system complete front to back.

New generation Peugeot power steering

Vented and drilled brake discs

Excellent condition genuine half leather green check cloth interior and unmarked green carpet

The car is sold as seen with the parts you see, none will be removed before sale

It obviously doesn't drive but the brakes and steering (and all the electrics) work fine so it can be towed.

Heres a couple of pics-

BVZS4jgBWkKGrHgoH-EEEjlLlLvtBKSRk3Y.jpg

BVZTVvQBGkKGrHgoH-CMEjlLl0rDjBKSRmS.jpg

Id previously bought a 2.0 turbo engine to install into my sorrento 1.9 but I decided against that as the sorrento was too original to spoil.

First off i removed the gearbox, clutch and flywheel from the turbo engine and fitted a gti6 flywheel as this will allow me to use the be3 gearbox that i have so i can use the 205 driveshafts.

IMG_0510.jpg

Next i fitted a new water pump as its worth doing while the engine is out.

Ive also sourced an s16/mi16 top engine mount which should help the engine to sit a bit further forward than the standard one and give some more clearence behind the turbo.

IMG_0512.jpg

Also i'll be using an s16/mi16 alternator bracket to allow me to use the 205 alternator.

IMG_0511.jpg

Im now fitting a new cambelt but im having a few issues with it not fitting, hopefully i'll get it sorted pretty soon.

Swazy

Hello Davie,

keep on going with this, seems to be a 205 in good shape.

If you get stuck, these guys here will help you out, they´re all awesome and now a lot about conversions like yours.

So you won´t have troubles at all.

Good luck

Daviewonder

Cheers mate :rolleyes:

I got round so sorting the timing problem out, Thanks to those who helped.

I was having trouble getting the timing marks to line up but after much head scratching i wondered if the outside of the crank pulley could move round the inside of it over time and cause the marks not to line up , and it turns out it can!

This is the little blighter that caused me my brain ache

IMG_0513.jpg

I read that its possible to use a 205gti pulley to time up 2.0 engines so after a little research I did

IMG_0514.jpg

I ve now cleaned out the sump and hopefully tomorrow I can get some new discs for my grinder and remove all the unnecssary bracketry from it

IMG_0515.jpg

Hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow :)

jimistdt

Will follow your progress now you got that timing hurdle out of way. They send these things to test us. Car looks a good one.

Have you taken the HDI engine out yet? I think Uberderv might be interested in some photos of the set-up.

Good Luck with it. <_<

Daviewonder

Cheers, The HDI engine is still in the car at the moment. The engine doesnt have a cylinder head on it but im happy to pm some pictures of certain bits at peoples request <_<

Daviewonder

Got up early today and went to screwfix to buy some cutting and grinding discs for my grinder so i could remove the large unused bracket from the front of the sump.

Now it looks like this-

IMG_0518.jpg

Ive fitted the 205 rear engine mount as the hole for the 205 driveshaft bearing is too large on the 406 one, ive also fitted a grpN bush to it that I got from Bakers bushes and mounts so it should hopefully cut down backwards and forwards movement of the engine and stop it from fouling the brake servo-

IMG_0517.jpg

I'll have to wait until tomorrow now so i can buy some sealant to put the sump back on with :unsure:

Edited by Daviewonder

credowan

Looking good mate, keep up the great work

Gary

welshpug

looks like you have not removed the A/C pump lugs from the pump, you'll need to do that to fit them and the Alternator bracket you pictured above as the bracket is intended for use with a steel sump.

Daviewonder
Looking good mate, keep up the great work

Gary

Cheers mate.

looks like you have not removed the A/C pump lugs from the pump, you'll need to do that to fit them and the Alternator bracket you pictured above as the bracket is intended for use with a steel sump.

Yeah cheers mate, i realised that when i came to refit the sump :) Ive since modified the alternator bracket as it seemed to have a lot of excess metal anyway.

Anton green

..Following this with interest! My 205 has been garaged for the last 2 or 3 years and its coming out to play with its turbo engine hopefully before the weather turns :angry:

*subscribed*

Daviewonder
..Following this with interest! My 205 has been garaged for the last 2 or 3 years and its coming out to play with its turbo engine hopefully before the weather turns :D

Hi Anton, whys your car been garaged so long? Theres no way I could leave a turbo'd 205 for that long without using it :D

Quick update, the sumps all painted and back on, the engine mounts have been cleaned up and painted and the fork from the bottom mount has been extended, I wasnt sure how much to go for so I added an inch on so i can drill the holes where I need them :D

Ive also bought and fitted a camshaft from a late low comp 205 gti (DKZ engine iirc) which is a slightly livlier cam than the standard one :P

I would upload a couple of pics but photobucket is being slooooooow.

Daviewonder

Heres the pics, better late than never-

IMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

Daviewonder

Hi all, time for a quick update.

The time has come to remove the hdi engine, not a lot to remove as the head was already off.

IMG_0526.jpg

Bye Bye HDI :rolleyes:

IMG_0530.jpg

I also checked over the hdi gearbox as I will be using it on the turbo engine, all seems ok,

I checked over the clutch but it was on its last legs but its a 230mm so I'll buy a new one and use it with the hdi flywheel.

Thats all for now as I need to wait until I go to work tomorrow to pick up a new one :lol:

Anton green
Hi Anton, whys your car been garaged so long? Theres no way I could leave a turbo'd 205 for that long without using it ;)

Life got in the way of me completing the conversion.. plus I have been RWD in the bimmer shopping trolley while I have been without pug, so only now am I cracking on with it again. Made some great progress on the car today :mellow:

You should know that when I fitted the engine in to the bay with the gearbox bolted up to it, it took about an hour and a half to jiggle everything in to the correct position as it is a rather tight fit and I was on my own. If you intend to fit it with the gearbox attached from the top downwards on a crande of sorts -enlist a helper.

T

(edit, don't use a crandle, use a cradle)

Edited by Anton green

Daviewonder
I checked over the clutch but it was on its last legs but its a 230mm so I'll buy a new one and use it with the hdi flywheel.

Thats all for now as I need to wait until I go to work tomorrow to pick up a new one :)

I bought my new clutch today I didnt go for the HDI one in the end as I phoned valeo technical and found out the torque limit of it:-

306 2.0 HDI - 253 NM - Part number valeo 826201

405 1.9 MI16 - 275 NM - part number valeo 801042

So it appears that the mi one is better even though its a smaller diameter (mi is 215 mm whereas the hdi one is 230mm) and its quite a bit cheaper too :P Happy days!

I also had an end float problem with my new camshaft but it turns out that the with the old cam end float is stopped in a different way to the new one, the old one has a raised section that butts up against one of the caps whereas the new one has a groove machined into it and needs a thrust washer to be used. So if anyone has one spare or knows the part number of one can they let me know please :lol:

Edited by Daviewonder

M@tt

0810 10 - CAMSHAFT BUFFER (NFP ie may not be availiable!!)

• Like 1

sonofsam

Hello Davie,

Nice to see another local 205 Turbo will be on the road soon!

I've clocked up 16K miles on my Valeo Mi clutch and it's still going strong, so yes it's the one to go for :)

Good luck with the rest of the project :lol:

Sam.

Daviewonder
0810 10 - CAMSHAFT BUFFER (NFP ie may not be availiable!!)

Cheers Matt, I'll have a go at getting one tomorrow :lol:

Hello Davie,

Nice to see another local 205 Turbo will be on the road soon!

I've clocked up 16K miles on my Valeo Mi clutch and it's still going strong, so yes it's the one to go for :P

Good luck with the rest of the project :)

Sam.

Hello Sam

Ive read your project thread so many times I probably know it better than you now, you've been a great help without even knowing it :D

I popped into your work to see you a while back when i was first looking into turboing a 205, I dont know if you remember? It took me a while to get the money to do mine though due to me and the mrs buying our own flat but ive finally got started!

Awesome car by the way mate :D

sonofsam

Ha yeah I totally remember mate :D

Glad to be of assistance! Craigf90's thread is also a usefull one to read. Cheers! She's still going well everyday, although Im probably going over to the rice side next year :lol: but will hang onto the turbo aslong as I can :)

Got my flat just after my conversion, but now She wants a new kitchen and bathroom so not much time for motors

at the mo :P but if you do find you need a hand gimme a yell B)

I'll keep an eye out on your thread anyway :D

Daviewonder

Ok mate cheers, I appreciate the offer, Im doing ok at the moment but its early days yet :) Ive still got the wiring to look forward to :lol:

Daviewonder

Done a bit more today

I managed source the bolts that hold the clutch to the flywheel as the ones from the turbo engine and the hdi engine were to big, in the end i used some from an s16 engine.

Ive now fitted the hdi gearbox to the turbo engine and its almost at the stage of being put into the engine bay :unsure:

Just waiting for the camshaft buffer to arrive and I need to get the bolts that hold the cambelt cover on as ive managed to lose these somehow :)

Hopefully next update should be a bit more exciting B)

Dave.

Daviewonder
Hopefully next update should be a bit more exciting :D

Dave.

Its not gonna be that exciting im afraid..

My camshaft buffer arrived yesterday

IMG_0539.jpg

So today I started by fitting it, all the camshaft endfloat has now gone so I went on to reassemble and time up the engine. Ive also found the missing timing belt cover bolts they were tucked away safe in an old cheeselets tub :angry:

Ive now finished removing all the remaining HDI bits from the engine bay ready for the turbo engine to go in :D

I also fitted the grp n upper engine mount, removing the old one caused a bit of head scratching as ive never removed one before and I thought it bolted on through that hole in the bottom of the chassis rail by where the metal coolant hose bolts on, after realising it didnt i persuaded the old one to unscrew using my big grips :D

I also removed some of the dash to have a quick peek at the wiring :) I think its gonna take me quite a while to suss it out (lots of 306 wiring behind there like remote central locking, immoboliser and some weird box with a brown multi plug plugged into it)

Hopefully I shoud be able to drop the engine in tomorrow if the weathers ok.

Dave.

Edited by Daviewonder

Daviewonder

Time for a quick update

Got a mate round this morning to help me carry the engine down the drive past all the cars. Bloody hell I cant believe how much the engine weighed, Im used to moving around xu9 engines so I was quite shocked when we came to lift the turbo one!

Anyway my mate went off and I set about dropping the engine in.

45mins later and it looked like this-

IMG_0541.jpg

It went in first time with no struggling, sheer fluke :ph34r:

Its a good job it went in so easy as the weather looked like rain-

IMG_0543.jpg

I'll start connecting everything up tomorrow :)

1 quick question, should the gearbox stud that goesthrough the battery tray into the rubber mount have a sleeve over it?

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by Daviewonder

Daviewonder

Hello again.

Today I decided it was time to start the job that ive been dreading the most, THE WIRING!!!! Ive done quite a lot of research into it and it now makes sense so here goes.

I started by seperating the 406 wiring into "ones I need" and "ones I dont need", Luckily all the wires on the 406 loom had their numbers clearly printed on them

IMG_0546.jpg

Next I double checked the ones I needed by testing the continuity of them all, then I labled them-

IMG_0548.jpg

Then it was time to sort out the 205 side of the loom-

IMG_0549.jpg

Most of this was straight forward apart from the earth wire wasn't in the brown plug anymore so the HDI loom must have been using an earth from somewhere else, luckily I had some spare loom bits in the garage so I took an earth wire from that and fitted it to the brown plug, also the fuel pump wire from the brown plug was really thin so I fitted a thicker piece of wire.

I knew this would come in handy one day-

IMG_0550.jpg

Thats pretty much it for today as I had to sort out a couple of problems on my girlfriends car, tomorrow I can fit the VSS wires and connect up the looms (Cross your fingers for me) :D

sonofsam

Numbers clearly printed on the wires!

You have been blessed :D

Fingers and toes crossed for you mate :D