• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Daviewonder

[engine_work] Daviewonders Laser Green 205

Daviewonder

I have been sorting the MOT repairs over the last few days.

Fitted two of these-

Picture001.jpg

A spare set of these-

IMG00175-20120630-1840.jpg

Some new bushes-

IMG00178-20120705-1416.jpg

And some new rubber ball joint gaitors-

IMG00180-20120705-1417.jpg

Had the retest this afternoon and it passed with flying colours :D

The car feels so much tighter with the new bushes. So much difference for such little outlay.

• Like 1

welshpug

were your stub axles long enough or are you on 306 arms already?

Daviewonder

I am using 306 arms already mate :)

Daviewonder

It's been a while.

Well it's been off the road for 2 years and 10 months due to it being down on power and having a rasping/blowing sound from the exhaust manifold and after the whole engine rebuild thing I really couldn't be bothered with it any more. So I parked it up and didn't return to it until last weekend. I stuck a battery on it and tried firing it up, it started but wouldn't idle or rev up. It was showing next to no fuel so I stuck in a jerry can full and had another go. It started and idled but still wouldn't rev over about 3k and was spluttering and banging. I then washed it twice to remove all the built up grime and moss and called it a day.

Today I had another look. This time I dropped the fuel tank out and drained it totally and swapped the fuel pump for a known good one, then stuck in a couple of jerry cans of fresh fuel and had another go. It sprang into life, was idling fine and was revving freely. Hurrah!!

Now with the car behaving itself I decided to investigate the other issues. I've stripped out all the induction piping allowing access to the turbo and removed the turbo heat shield. I've come across a couple of loose bolts on the exhaust housing on the turbo and I'm hoping this is my problem. Unfortunately in was getting dusk at this point so I called it a day.

Hope to look into it a bit more tomorrow if I get time.

Edited by Daviewonder

farmer

Before the moss clean you could of released the Earwig on the car, the perfect environment.

• Like 1

Daviewonder

The earwig will be halfway back to yours by now Craig and when he left here he didn't look happy :lol:

Today I had a bit of spare time so I decided to crack on with the 205. With the exhaust housing bolts being loose I decided to swap the turbo over for another one as I doubt the seals were in great nick anymore. I'd removed all the manifold nuts in the week so the turbo and manifold were laying down the back of the engine but unfortunately they wouldn't fit through the gap at the top or the bottom. Ideally I would have liked to unbolt the turbo from the manifold and the support bracket but the bolts were seized and wouldn't budge. I removed the radiator and intercooler and supported the engine with the engine crane, undone the engine mounts and pulled the engine forward. This gave me enough room to whip the turbo set-up out through the gap at the top.

New gaskets and a replacement turbo were fitted shortly after and the engine was put back on it's mounts. The rest of the afternoon was spent refitting the radiator, intercooler and the rest of the bits that I'd removed. I also got round to fitting some of the bronze L bracket bushes from GTI6BOY's group buy.

Anyway it's all back together and just needs new oil and coolant putting in. I also refitted the orange side repeaters but they lasted all of 30 seconds as I realised how terrible the orange looks against the Laser Green.

Hope to fire her up in the next few days :)

Daviewonder

Put the coolant in tonight and fired her up.

It sounds so much nicer/quieter and appears to be boosting nicely. Just need to change the oil tomorrow and it should be done :)

• Like 1

Rolando

how did you get around the gear linkages on yours? with the L bracket on the subframe hitting the turbo? I've had ago at mine this weekend and can't figure it out. everyones saying to bend the gear linkage so it bends over the smaller one but i'm not keen on this idea tbh,

Tom Fenton

Bend it down worked for me and many others. I don't see why you have an issue really? I was going to get all technical and remove mine off the car and make a press tool to bend it but in the end Mr 8lb lump hammer did the job in seconds.