• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Daviewonder

[engine_work] Daviewonders Laser Green 205

pablo

do you want a diagram of my cooling system mate? the pipe going to the oil warmer on mine goes on to the upper heater hose in the bulkhead

Daviewonder

Yes please mate, I think ive worked it out but id like to see how yours is done ;)

pablo

From memory:

main thermostat hose goes to rad top hose

little hose off that big one goes to turbo

bigger one off that goes to heater top hose

heater bottom hose goes into side of thermostat housing

rad bottom hose goes to bit on the back of the block

rad top hose (small one) goes to top of expansion bottle

expansion bottle bottom hose goes to metal pipe at back of head then down to bit on back of block.

That's all I can think of.

Daviewonder

This is how i was doing it,

XU10CJ2TEDaves.jpg

is this how yours is mate?

pablo

Where is the top heater hose going on yours? Just vanishes into the back of the head. Mine connects to the thermostat to rad hose. Other than that it's exactly the same.

Daviewonder

Theres a pipe at the back of the block that ive circled here ( I think its the one, it was getting dark when I was doing it)

circled.jpg

pablo

oh I dont have that, where does it go to?

Daviewonder

Not sure as I didnt have a lot of light but on the end of it was a hose that pointed at the bulkhead with a bleed screw in it, I guess it went to the 406's heater matrix.

IMG_0510point.jpg

Edited by Daviewonder

Guest darcy

great project, all time fave 205 colour too. i too am converting a 205 to turbo, cant start a project thread yet as i havent posted enough. your a little ahead of me, (im at the wiring stage) ill keep an eye on this so i can cheat with mine haha. keep up the good work

shooter mcgavin

Good to see your back at it mate

Daviewonder
great project, all time fave 205 colour too. i too am converting a 205 to turbo, cant start a project thread yet as i havent posted enough. your a little ahead of me, (im at the wiring stage) ill keep an eye on this so i can cheat with mine haha. keep up the good work

Cheers mate, look forward to seeing your progerss thread :lol:

Good to see your back at it mate

Hi mate, Yeah its good to be back working on it now the weathers getting better. Hows the 309 doing?

shooter mcgavin

Hows the 309 doing?

Very little progress at the moment,lack of funds.hes hoping for it all to be done for june at the latest.fingers crossed

Daviewonder

I decided it was time today to do a bit more work on the laser. I've managed to source an alternator adjuster bar from an early Nissan Micra which has solved one of my long standing problems ;)

Also I done a bit more tidying of the wiring loom now I know where I want the ecu to go, Ive covered most of it but I still need to source a diagnosis socket and wire in the engine management light on the dash, also I still need to wire in a fuel cut off switch but other than these few bits all the wiring is finally sorted :D

I've now started looking into where I want the new boost pipes to run, I fitted most of the other bits back in the engine bay so I know exactly how much room I have to play with. I've not done any more to the cooling hoses yet as I've been looking at the BBM Mi16 hose kit and it looks like it would fit with just a little modding so theres a chance I'll be purchasing one of these in a few weeks time.

I had a go a few days back at getting a 306 battery box to fit as it tidies up the engine bay quite a bit but unfortunately with it in place so the ecu can sit at the front of the engine bay it makes it impossible to close the bonnet.

A quick pic of how it stands at the moment:

SAM_0502.jpg

Thats all for now Folks.

tidypug

shouldn't the battery box be the other way round? As in have the ecu at the back?

Daviewonder
shouldn't the battery box be the other way round? As in have the ecu at the back?

It should be yes but the battery box was an after thought and I'd already made up the loom so the ecu was located in front of the battey :lol:

Jamal
Ive fitted the 205 rear engine mount as the hole for the 205 driveshaft bearing is too large on the 406 one, ive also fitted a grpN bush to it that I got from Bakers bushes and mounts so it should hopefully cut down backwards and forwards movement of the engine and stop it from fouling the brake servo-

IMG_0517.jpg

Hi!

Just a quick question. I have got two rear engine mounts. One is from a 205 and the other is from a 605 2.0

In the 605 mount the house for the bush is farther than in the 205.

My problem is that I installed a new bush and the engine is pulling forward it, so the bush's center hole is closer to the holder fork.

What are You think? Just swap the mount for the 605 one? Or everyone using the 205 mount without any problems?

Plus info: I'm using the Xantia's monuting bracket with a 405 holder arm, and the std 205 GTi upper bushes.

Thanks guys!

Daviewonder

Hi Jamal

I think everyone uses the 205 one without problems, I used all 205 bits for the lower mount, sometimes people have to extend the fork about 30 - 35mm by welding a piece in, have you extended the fork?

Dave :lol:

Jamal
Hi Jamal

I think everyone uses the 205 one without problems, I used all 205 bits for the lower mount, sometimes people have to extend the fork about 30 - 35mm by welding a piece in, have you extended the fork?

Dave :rolleyes:

Hi

No I haven't extended the fork. People extendig the fork to gain clearance for the servo, or not?

Just measured the two mount, and I realised that the 605's differ because the fork is sitting back and downwards on the subframe.

Maybe the new bush is too soft.

Tomorrow I will take a pic about it.

Edited by Jamal

Daviewonder

Got a bit more work done at the weekend. I've decided not to use the intercooler that I was intending to use as I think it might be a bit undersized, also the inlet and outlet pipes were quite a bit smaller than the 63mm pipes that im using and I wanted to keep them all equal size. The intercooler that Im now using is from an Evo 4, I know this might be a little bit oversized and cause a bit of lag but I've spoken to a couple of people that are using this intercooler with the xu10j2 engine and they said its really not that bad, plus I got the cooler for next to nothing and at least I won't have to worry if I upgrade the turbo and manifold at a later date. I've also fitted the dumpvalve that got from Pablo, I know a lot of people find them "chavy" but I quite like the idea of having the "tschh" noise from a car that you don't expect it from. Now I just need to make up a blank for the hole where the recirc dump valve plugged into the inlet pipe.

I've now got round to fitting the air filter, Im quite pleased with how it fits and also the fact that I've managed to keep the battery in the standard place. I then got round to mounting the Saxo electric power steering pump, Im quite pleased with where it sits as its out the way of everything and you can't really notice it.

My next job is to make up some proper brackets for the intercooler now I know it fits like a glove :P

SAM_0525.jpg

SAM_0523.jpg

SAM_0522.jpg

Thats all for now folks :)

Daviewonder

Just a little bit of progress to report.

This morning my two silicone hoses arrived for the intercooler so I set about making sure that everything fitted ok. I've also sorted out the rest of the intercooler piping and now I just need to order some decent hose clips. I do plan on colour codeing all the hoses eventually buy theres more important things to spend money on at the moment.

I wasn't to happy with how much of the intercooler you could see when lights lit up the front of the car as I want to keep the car looking pretty standard so I gave the intercooler and rad a thin coating of matt black VHT paint to keep things stealthy :D

SAM_0539.jpg

SAM_0541.jpg

SAM_0542.jpg

SAM_0550.jpg

SAM_0546.jpg

Looking back over the project so far I have to say that the bit I was dreading the most (the wiring) was actually quite easy compared to the plumbing in and mounting of the intercooler and radiator system :(

sonofsam

Looks great Davie nice and neat,

definately agree with your last comment! Fitting an IC to a car that does'nt have one

can be a right ball ache. :D

Dump valves sound good, but compressor stall sounds better trust me :(

Going to be driving it soon then mate?! ;)

Rob Turbo

It looks to me like the boost pipes from the intercooler are touching the body, are they? They will wear through in no time if they are. Nice project though, what you need is an upgraded turbo though! (hint hint!!)

Daviewonder

Hi Sam, Cheers, I did think about doing away with the dumpvalve but I just don't like the thought that without one I could be prematurely ageing the turbo and on my wages thats something I'd like to avoid :)

Hope to get it finished soon although the tax doesn't run out on the sorrento until the end of June so I should swap them over then.

Hi Rob, yes the boost pipes are touching the body at the moment but theres still a lot of fine tuning left to do before its finished. At the moment Im just making sure everything fits roughly where I want it to before I tidy everything up.

Im not really after an upgraded turbo at the moment (lack of funds) as I'd need to upgrade the management aswell.

Cheers though :)

Daviewonder

A little more progress today, I've started making up the top radiator bracket out of some large Meccano looking stuff now that I'm happy with the position of everything. This will bolt onto the car body and the top of the radiator using some brackets with captive nuts that are riveted in place.

SAM_0614.jpg

SAM_0616.jpg

SAM_0618.jpg

More tomorrow :)

Edited by Daviewonder

Daviewonder

Just a quick update, I wasn't happy with the way the top radiator bracket looked so today I set about sorting this-

SAM_0624.jpg

SAM_0625.jpg

I think it looks 100 x better and its also quite a bit more heavy duty :)