• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

Just Fried My Megasquirt

pugpete1108
I gave you some dwell setting, really? If I did, and the cranking dwell is quite high, I best go change mine!

memory loss???

Yeah you sent me a msq by email, had cranking dwell at 8ms

madspikes
memory loss???

Yeah you sent me a msq by email, had cranking dwell at 8ms

If you say so! I put the memory lost down to having an 20month old and lack of sleep. I will check my setting before I next run the car up.

Mad

pugpete1108
If you say so! I put the memory lost down to having an 20month old and lack of sleep. I will check my setting before I next run the car up.

Mad

i was just typing a reply and though hang on it was mad professor that emailed me the msq not you :( so sorry for confuzzling you my bad. guess it was the mad bit that got me.

i know what you mean thought my boy is 2 and a half now and still gets up when he feels like it :) even 2:30 am like saturday just gone.

i'll blame him for my mistakes even this one :(

madspikes
i was just typing a reply and though hang on it was mad professor that emailed me the msq not you :) so sorry for confuzzling you my bad. guess it was the mad bit that got me.

i know what you mean thought my boy is 2 and a half now and still gets up when he feels like it :) even 2:30 am like saturday just gone.

i'll blame him for my mistakes even this one :angry:

I was going to say, you sure it wasnt the other 'Mad', no problem.

Mad Professor

lol there are to meny mad pepole on here now.

My 205 Turbo Technics was running for about a year on MS1 Extra, I then moved over to MS2 extra, all the dwell settings stayed the same, I was running peugeot 106 coil pack, and my VB921's never even got warm.

8.0ms is quite high as you said, but my engine used to fire up within two or three full turns of the engine, so was never in cranking mode for long.

As you are still in the stange of trying to get your car running, you will be doing alot of cranking and may well be putting alot of heat into your ign drivers.

You did indeed do a good job of frying that PCB and drivers, I have never one that bad before, I have had it where there is nothing left of the ign driver, but you can still see the 3 legs where it was.

VB921's are good for 7.5amps of current, I see by your post that phill has now upgraded you, I would guess that he has not fitted your MS with the BIP373.

I know you are running the ford EDIS coil pack but here is some info from my (Sagem 2 526 040 A) coilpack, regarding voltage and dwell rates.

Voltage / Dwell / Voltage Correction %

06.0v - >8.0ms = ???%

07.0v - >8.0ms = ???%

08.0v - >8.0ms = ???%

09.0v - 7.1ms = 165%

10.0v - 5.8ms = 134%

11.0v - 4.9ms = 113%

12.0v - 4.3ms = 100%

12.5v - 4.1ms = 095%

13.0v - 3.8ms = 088%

13.5v - 3.6ms = 083%

14.0v - 3.4ms = 079%

14.5v - 3.3ms = 076%

pugpete1108

i wasnt the dwell that was the problem it was me being a numpty :)

what's a BIP373?

i think i have a sagem coil pack knocking about which i was using before the ford one, is there any real differences?

actually the reason i stopped using it was i didnt exactly now if i had wired it up correctly, and i could only find a wiring diagram for the ford one so i used that instead.

whats the voltage drop when cranking? as i see at low volts you have a high dwell time? i take it thats to compensate?

i'm still very green when it comes to ms but was actually starting to understand how it all worked before i fried the unit, it was abit of a kick in the nuts really, but as usual i learn the hard way from my mistakes.

i'm sure after the beam rebuild i will be back pestering you all for advice/help anyway.