• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

Just Fried My Megasquirt

pugpete1108

Somehow this morning I managed to swap the coil driver and +ve cables over without noticing

when cranking I could smell electrical burning, opened the ecu lid and there it was char grilled, not sure what circuit it was?but it's started to melt the 37 pin connector and completely fried the component that sits next to it, jut hoping that's all the damage but knowing my luck it's poggered.

If so that's it I'm gone, Fu##ing 205 I hate it I'm gonna buy a golf instead

wracing

take a pic and post please, gutting man i was hoping that you would get this going soon!!

james

madspikes

It might be as bad as you think. If its drawing that much current to met the connector, its probabably just isolated to the 37 way....

Keep the faith, I've had may set backs with my pug, but as soon as I drive it, all is good! Just removing the car cover gives me a warm feeling about it.

Mad. :)

pugpete1108

i'm gonna send the unit back to phil (who built it) and see what the damage is

anyway here's a couple of pics:

DSCF0016.jpg

DSCF0017.jpg

DSCF0019.jpg

DSCF0024.jpg

what do you think?

wracing

thats impressive. the board may be f***ed thats got to be 100amp+ to do that. hopefully youll be able to retrace in copper wire and it wont have affected the processor.

good luck

james.

wracing

i think the ic next to the burnt device will also have had it. glazing usually means it overheated.

james

pugpete1108

balls.

like i said before mate if the board has had it then its bye bye from me, i've had enough

EdCherry
balls.

like i said before mate if the board has had it then its bye bye from me, i've had enough

Bollocks to that, s*it gets you down but finish the project or you WILL regret it. Take a break from working on it for a while and then jump straight back in!

madspikes

That a great effort, I was expecting it to look worse! You must have dropped the full load of the battery across that transistor! The board doesnt look that bad, I'm sure it can fixed.

If you have a car that you 'play with' there are always going to be bad times doesnt matter if its a pug or a vw..... but just got to look towards the the good times.....

Like football (personally I dont understand nor care about the silly game) sometime your team wins then sometime they lose for the whole season, but people keep the faith and stay with their team.

Mad. :wacko:

Tom Fenton

Its not the 205's fault you shorted out your ECU................

sub205

you can be happy that you only fried your igbt!

this part is cheap.

looks like you have wrong ignition settings (to high dwell or wrong invert-settings for ignition output!)

you can hook up a cable to the input of the igbt and use a normal ignition module like normally used in the 205!

pugpete1108
That a great effort, I was expecting it to look worse! You must have dropped the full load of the battery across that transistor! The board doesnt look that bad, I'm sure it can fixed.

If you have a car that you 'play with' there are always going to be bad times doesnt matter if its a pug or a vw..... but just got to look towards the the good times.....

Like football (personally I dont understand nor care about the silly game) sometime your team wins then sometime they lose for the whole season, but people keep the faith and stay with their team.

Mad. :lol:

would reversing the coil cause this then? and i know what you mean but i havent even driven a 205 if three years or so, so its a little hard to keep the faith :wacko:

Its not the 205's fault you shorted out your ECU................

when you put it like that.......maybe i should just sell myself off and take up a new hobby like flower arranging or something :lol:

pugpete1108
you can be happy that you only fried your igbt!

this part is cheap.

looks like you have wrong ignition settings (to high dwell or wrong invert-settings for ignition output!)

you can hook up a cable to the input of the igbt and use a normal ignition module like normally used in the 205!

i had spark inveted and dwell settings of:

cranking 8.0

running 3.3

discharge ?? cant remember

i have no dizzy so that really isnt an option

taffycrook

One of the reasons why Ford put fuses in the ign circuit.

They are one of only a few who do, but it could be a good lesson to all.

Try not to lose faith, it will be worth it in the end, just picture yourself at the lights or on the best b road in you local area, grinning as you gun the little french car away.

pugpete1108
One of the reasons why Ford put fuses in the ign circuit.

They are one of only a few who do, but it could be a good lesson to all.

Try not to lose faith, it will be worth it in the end, just picture yourself at the lights or on the best b road in you local area, grinning as you gun the little french car away.

i'm thinking 'if' i carry on with it i'mgonna put two fuses in the driver cables just in case.

its got a 15a fuse on the 12v feed but this didnt even blow??

Saveit

Ive got one for sale if you need a new one mate. Can do a good price.

omega

saveit

thats the great thing about this forum help and advice

taffycrook
i'm thinking 'if' i carry on with it i'mgonna put two fuses in the driver cables just in case.

its got a 15a fuse on the 12v feed but this didnt even blow??

Thats because the power came from the coil supply not the ECU, its this/these wires you need to fuse, 15A should be ok, but carry spares in the glove box.

pugpete1108
Thats because the power came from the coil supply not the ECU, its this/these wires you need to fuse, 15A should be ok, but carry spares in the glove box.

yeah i get ya, the fuse was before the bump in current doh

that one will just protect the coil

wracing

from what you said about swaping wires it sounds like you've basically connected the battery directly to ground a setting change will not affect this!

ive ran your setting for about 4000 miles now on my 205

james

pugpete1108

good news <_<:angry:

phil from extra efi just emailed me to say the unit has been fixed and will be back with me shortly.

so i can get back on with not getting it to run :angry::angry::lol:

EdCherry
good news <_<:angry:

phil from extra efi just emailed me to say the unit has been fixed and will be back with me shortly.

so i can get back on with not getting it to run :lol::angry::lol:

Good!

Dont break it this time! :angry::lol:

madspikes

You see it wasnt that bad! The MS has been designed quite well, and does stop people killing it but doing some stupid things.

My tip in getting any car running on a MS is take you time, take one step at a time and check everything as you go.

Mad. :)

pugpete1108

cheers guys, phil said i burnt out both ignition drivers so he has replaced both with thw newest versions which apparently wont burn out IF i do it again :)

yeah i'm going to get my rear beam rebuilt and then fix the sagging front suspension, and get the underside rust proofed proper and also run the brake lines and fuel lines inside the car .....and then get back to trying to get it to run.

i will be needing a timing light that will work on wasted spark though if you know of anyone who wants to lend one for beer tokens.

btw mad, phil did say that the cranking dwell was set quite high using the msq you gave me???

Edited by pugpete1108

madspikes
btw mad, phil did say that the cranking dwell was set quite high using the msq you gave me???

I gave you some dwell setting, really? If I did, and the cranking dwell is quite high, I best go change mine!