• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

205Rallee

1.6 Gti Hub Carriers - Helicoil?

205Rallee

My friendly garage put new front wheel bearings in and managed to overtighten the caliper bolts and one has stripped the thread in the carrier. As it's got brand new bearings I don't want to bin it if I don't have to. I don't know what helicoiling is but can it be done and will it be as good as new or is it too much of a risk? The car is used for track events and not much road use. Alternatively can you get new hub carriers and if so do they come with bearings?

Redtop

A Helicoil will be fine in it. Ive had to do it to some of my front hubs on a formula ford race car where the hubs broke and been welded again. They have never gave me any bother and the car is used hard.

welshpug

should be fine as a helicoil, seen several instances of this fairly recently as it happens!

as has been mentioned, its often stronger than the original threads.

Google would have helped you here :D

found this informative video in the first few results for "helicoil"

Edited by welshpug

205Rallee

Cheers guys. Looks like that's the easy answer. Welshpug, the video was excellent for us non mechanical types.

Do you know what size/thread the caliper bolt is?

Thanks again.

Edited by 205Rallee

Tom Fenton

I've a feeling the caliper bolts are 12x1.5 but check this before ordering any helicoils etc.

205Rallee
I've a feeling the caliper bolts are 12x1.5 but check this before ordering any helicoils etc.

Cheers Tom, checked on Servicebox and you're right! They quote new hub carriers at £189inc VAT but Autofive have them for about £160.... Helicoil it is then.

jimistdt

Sorry about this, it's not really related, but we're in the right area.

The bolt that clamps the hub to the strut, does anybody know what size, length and how much shoulder is on it please? I've just sheared mine :D

pug_ham
The bolt that clamps the hub to the strut, does anybody know what size, length and how much shoulder is on it please? I've just sheared mine B)

The bolt you sheared should be an M10 bolt but the shoulder length doesn't really matter as long as its not massively to long & packed out with loads of washers so a threaded bolt will be ok. If you insist on a shouldered bolt the plain section need to be 45mm at most.

The bolt head shouldn't have a washer underneath because the hub has a flat edge to hold it but you need the right size bolt head to make this possible. IIRC it has to be 16mm to work.

Graham.

jimistdt
The bolt you sheared should be an M10 bolt but the shoulder length doesn't really matter as long as its not massively to long & packed out with loads of washers so a threaded bolt will be ok. If you insist on a shouldered bolt the plain section need to be 45mm at most.

The bolt head shouldn't have a washer underneath because the hub has a flat edge to hold it but you need the right size bolt head to make this possible. IIRC it has to be 16mm to work.

Graham.

Thanks Graham, you're right a 45mm shoulder is plenty, I managed to find one at my local MF yesterday afternoon, after I'd posted this. B)

ArthurH

I know this is an old thread, but the subject is very close.  Yesterday we discovered our 205GTI 1.6 has some stripped threads in the front hub for the wheel bolts.  My plan is to repair them with 12 x 1.25 helicoils.  Can anyone see any issues before I proceed?

welshpug

not sure there is enough meat in a 1.6 flange for a helicoil, I would check how many turns there are.

Edited by welshpug
  • Like 1

ArthurH

OK, good tip, I'll have a look.  So that it doesn't happen again :rolleyes:, what is the correct torque for these bolts?  I assume the same torque front and rear.

pug_ham
1 hour ago, ArthurH said:

So that it doesn't happen again :rolleyes:, what is the correct torque for these bolts?  I assume the same torque front and rear.

g

• Like 1

ArthurH

Thanks Graham!