• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
springs

Replacing Windscreen Diy..

springs

Before my 205 can get MOT'd it needs a new windscreen. Now im a bit short on money and already have a spare screen from when i brought the car and im thinking about having a go replacing it myself.

I had a search around and couldn't find anything other than about heated screens etc. But are they hard to refit? and are there any special tools needed? I have been told how to remove it by sitting in the passenger seat and pushing the top of the screen.

Cameron

Heaps of threads on this! I searched when I bought my heated screen a while back and there was at least 5 that had methods of removal / fitting.

Baz

Push the screen gently and lip the seal over the aperture using a screwdriver (with tape over the end or suitable protection from scratching etc) that way you'll get the old scrren out with seal and screen intact if you're careful. Use the string method to pull the new one back in.

James_R

For the cost I'd ring a local glasiers they charge about £20 to just fit for you :rolleyes:

Baz

Or just DIY gratis. :rolleyes:

M@tt

DIY is dead simple as baz said. Couple of large blade screwdrivers start in one corner and work your way along the seal. Just take your time and it''s dead easy. 10/15 mins max

Cameron

I got fed up when doing my DIY removal so just sat in the passenger seat and booted it out. Worked quite nicely.. If only I could just boot the new one in. :rolleyes:

springs

i did try the locals but they all wanted silly money to do it.. ill have a go myself.. if i cant get it in etc.. ill just get it done through insurance..

SurGie

But insurance would replace the screen for more money afaik, not sure if they would fit through insure.

If still unsure get your self a car maintenance book where it will show step by step instructions with pictures

that do help a lot more than words.

dk73
But insurance would replace the screen for more money afaik, not sure if they would fit through insure.

If still unsure get your self a car maintenance book where it will show step by step instructions with pictures

that do help a lot more than words.

Depends on and if he has free windscreen cover, i have.... :ph34r:

springs

on my main policy its about £60 to get replaced..

Baz

DIY!!!!!!!!!!

boombang
on my main policy its about £60 to get replaced..

£60 = about 1km of blue nylon rope!

It's really not that hard to replace the screen.

Cameron

I think DIY is just one of those things that once you've done it its fine, but the first time is a nightmare. Do you use suckers or anything Baz or do you just whack it in place and pull the string out? I want to do mine but can just see it going horribly horribly wrong. ;)

Alastairh

As Baz said, it really isn't that hard!

Cameron

Yeah, I'm sure it isn't.. Its just a bit nerve-racking for a noooob. Cutting holes in my car I can handle, but big bits of glass.. Hmm. ;)

pugman211

Its very easy. As said before, to remove the glass, lift the rubber seal on the inside of the screen, and press it over the metal lip. Start from a nice long edge, think i started from the roof in the middle. As you lift the rubber seal over the metal lip, push on the glass, and it will slowly start to move forward. Corners are a little hard and you usually have to lift the rubber for the whole corner, and then carry on down the next straight. Just keep repeating the process till all of the top and 2 sides are fully out.

Then i went out side of the car, and as you look at the glass all the top is out and away from the body of the car. So to get the bottom out, you need to wiggle the glass from side to side and lift up at the same time. Then you cn just lift the glass right out. Part 1 complete!! lol

Part 2.

To put the glass back in, you will probably need a friend to help you. Again, as said before, get some blue nylon rope (not too thick). Place the rope in the middle of the rubber seal, wrap it all the way round the seal on the glass, so the rope overlaps itself by a half length. I placed the rope so it comes out of the bottom edge first.

Lift the glass into place, making sure the bottom edge of the screen is in the metal lip as much as possible. Then with one person on the inside pulling the rope, another person should be on the outside applying pressure to the screen where the rope is being pulled, i.e. at the bottom for the first edge. When you get to the corners, you need a bit more pressure on the screen, follwed by a few taps on the glass with palm of your hands. You should see the glass and rubber seal being pulled into the shell of the car. Just keep reapeating the steps and tapping/banging the glass with your hands till all the rope is out and the seal is fully back inside the car.

Hope this helps.

Baz

AdamP

Getting the old one out it easy if you don't want to reuse it :)

Took me 3 minutes flat to put one in using the string method. Its not worth the hassle of calling someone out to do it tbh!

springs

well i had a go at this about 30 mins ago.. got the old one out easily. the new one tho, put the rubber seal in and put the screen at the bottom and got the sides in. when it came to the roof part i ended up putting a nice big crack down the screen :) i used the string method to get the main parts in but found that when i t came to the top it wasn't easy using the string

pugman211

did you put the seal around the glass and then put it in the car or put the seal on the car then tried to put the glass on?

springs

put the seal in first then put the screen on top

pugman211

i would think thats why it cracked then. You put the seal around the glass, and then put it into the car.

Baz

And pull it in carefully, bit by bit, but don't go from one side to another etc. It helps having a (non ham-fisted) friend to gently push around the edges too to help it slip in, and maybe some fairy liquid round the seal to help it too.

Leave a couple of over-lapped loops of string hanging out in the seal too just in case it slips out without pulling the seal in, it's a bastard when you get nearly all the way round then the string pulls out!

Edited by Baz