• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
yeti-dj

Unlocking A Gti-6 Ecu

yeti-dj

Hello, after hours of searching about unlocking a 306 gti-6 ecu i found a topic with this info in it and was just checking this is what i need to do to unlock the ecu and not have to use the key pad once fitted in the my 205 gti..

you'll have to plug the ecu and transponder into a car, turn the ignition on with your chip near the ignition switch, once powered up the ecu is unlocked then you can unplug it.

the 306 is still a complete car that runs, so basically i type in the key code turn the ignition to postion 2 and then unplug the ecu from the car???

Once i have done this and the ecu is still in the 306 is there any way i can test to see if i have unlocked it properly, if i plug the ecu back in will it then need the key code in again or not???

sorry if this has been covered already but i couldnt find the post.

thanks.

SurGie

Interesting to know for sure, the cost for one's unlocked are over the top really, in my opinion...

M@tt

yes what you have descibed is correct.

easiest thing IMHO to make 100% sure you've got it right is to get the engine running and then just disconnect the ECU.

Once the ecu has been disconnected it is now unlocked.

If you want to test it in your car again you will need to disconnect the keypad BEFORE plugging the ECU back in. With the keypad disconnected you should find the car now starts

yeti-dj

Right, gonna give it a shot in the next few days and will post my findings then.

Gonna try, punching in the key code, start car and then unplug the ecu. Once ive done this then set about getting rid of the key code pad and then try to start the car again.

Fingers crossed all is good then rip apart a 306 GTI-6 and start fitting engine to my 205, cant wait!!!

If its this easy then how do people get away with wanting £85 -£100 for the unlocked ECU???

dcc

if you dont have the items required to unlock it to begin with, it can cost £££ for it to be sent away to get unlocked. thats why they have such a high value.

SurGie

How do you get hold of the key code to do this ?

M@tt

ulocking it if you have the orignial car is a piece of piss but the problem comes if you only have a locked ECU.

The keypad or key/transponder are all tied to the ecu so you cant just use any old keypad or key and transponder hence why you have to send it off if it's not been unlocked properly and get someone to hack the actual EEPROM in the ECU to unlock it.

SurGie

I understand that its just reading earlier posts that you need the code for the key, or does that not matter

as long as you have the car that is for the ecu ?

I got it now, the key is set to the ecu and you only need to unlock the ecu then key fob is not needed.

Edited by SurGie

yeti-dj

The key code i am on about is the code that you punch into the immobilser pad to allow you to start the car.

Looks like if you have a running 306 then unlocking the ecu is no bother.

SurGie

I dont have a key code immobiliser pad, is that worse not to have in 306 ?

taylorspug

Later cars didnt have the keycode pad, they had an immobiliser unit and CODED KEY. This is a chip in the key that interacts with the immobiliser and ECU to start the car. You need all pieces to be from the same car to start the car with the ECU immobilised. However switching ignition to second stage and unplugging the ECU will still unlock it as long as you dont plug the ECU back into the car again with all the immobiliser connected (as this will re-lock it again).

Did this on my engine when it was originally removed as it was un-startable due to snapped belt.

Flying205Nutter

Sorry, but could someone tell me where the immobiliser unit is located and what it looks like? I have a xsara vts if that makes a difference?

yeti-dj

hello, still not had a go at unlocking the ecu using the, start the car and then unplug the ecu from the car, but was having a think and it seems like a bad idea to simply unplug the ecu, recon i am gonna try starting the car and then unplug the key pad instead and hope this then wont send the signal to the ecu to lock.

Has any body tried this to unlock a 306 ecu before?

thanks..

Spiky

if you dont want to do it with the engine running, jsut put the ignition on point 2 and do it,

it will work fine:D

Anthony

As above - just switch the ignition to stage 2 and wait a second or two for the immobilser light to go out (on models with a transponder) or enter the keypad code and check the light goes green (for keypad models), and then unplug the ECU with the ignition still on.

The ECU is then unlocked and ready for using a 205/309 conversion, without needing the key/transponder etc :D

SurGie

Absolutely perfect, this will save me over a ton of cash, £125 or so! :D

gti-si

Can I hijack here. If it's and early Phase 1, would you just need the keypad to unlock? Or is there a transponder and immobiliser aswell?

Anthony
Can I hijack here. If it's and early Phase 1, would you just need the keypad to unlock? Or is there a transponder and immobiliser aswell?

Keypad is the immobiliser on the early cars - the transponder setup replaced the keypad on the later cars.

gti-si

Ahh excellent, cheers Ant

yeti-dj

Hello, its been a while but i still havent managed to get round to doing this but i am liking the idea of not unplugging the ecu with the engine running but instead on position 2..

get back from offshore next friday and thats when the engine is coming out so will do it then and let you guys know how i get on, then ALL i need to do is take the engine out of the 306 and out of the 205 and then refit the gti6 into the 205, aiming to do this in 2 days as well as use the 306 clocks in the 205 dash, save some cash on buying the speedo drive and an adaptor from the oil pressure and light switch, that and i have a mate who loves wiring!

On that note in the next few weeks i will have a 306 gti6 phase 1 that i am breaking or someone can buy the whole car minus the front brakes,wheels,engine and box. £100 seem fair? can send photos if wanted

thanks..

Peetypug

i've done 2 engines now while they were running

one i have got in my car

the other is in m@tts car

neither of us has had a problem with either the engine or ecu

its the best way as then you know the key was in the correct position and that it is properly unlocked

i cant see how it could harm anything

yeti-dj

Its just a few years back i accidentally unplugged the ecu on my old 1.9 when the car was running and it killed the ecu, no idea why or how or if it was just one of those things but really didnt want to chance it.

might also try unlocking the ecu via the key pad and them disconnecting the key pad from the car and see if that works.

It is the key pad that tells the ecu to lock,right???

thanks..

welshpug

most gti6's don't have a keypad...

mine just had the power cut with the ignition on, works fine.

yeti-dj

the 306 i got is a phase 1 with the key pad just infront of the gear stick..

just tried to start it and now the battery is flat, after a jump start the dash board is going nuts, lots of flashing lights, including the headlights!!!!! no idea whats going on as i drove the car to the garage 3 weeks ago and it was fine, mind you both rear lights are full of water so guessing thats not gonna help at all!!!!

soon be time to kill a 306 so the 205 can live again, good times!!!