• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

306 Loom Connectors

M@tt

Right ive been trying to help Mr Bob sort out his wiring on his 306 S16 conversion via MSN for the past week or 2 but so far we've not had any luck.

We've gone through loads of tests and have

All the correct voltages at the necessary ECU pins.

All the correct earths on the necessary ECU pins.

All the correct volatages at the necessary Double Relay pins.

the CPS has the correct resistance across it (checked with a spare aswell)

Wire continuity between the various sensors and ECU are all ok.

the problem is it just won't fire. The 2nd relay in the double relay isn't closing when the engine is being started which would suggest a crank or camsensor not reading but these all appear to be fine. The ECU has supposedly been unlocked by a reputable local company, so we're assuming thats OK.

The only thing we came across is that the one of the pins in the double connector on the car side of the loom plug didn't match up with the correct pin on the engine side of the plug (it was a switched live iirc).

I'm not convinced that the pins match up at all (even though the plugs fit together properly) because we've also got the engine mangement light flashing on and off constantly.

Anyone had this problem before? or got a diagram of what each pins function is to save us a job?

Edited by M@tt

welshpug

what's the donor vehicle its going into?

James_R

I bought an L reg s16 with a burned out loom and swapped a '95 loom on to it which cam eoff a car I broke, and the pin outs were different so have to faff with swapping the pins, although I never got round to sorting it, I pulled the engine out in the end and scrapped the shell off.

Sorry I can't be of more use, but I've got an unlocked (i.e neverr had a pin code) s16 ecu if you need to test one.

James

ade 4wd

Does the double relay click when you switch on the ignition? if it does are you getting 12V to pin 35 of the ECU?

M@tt

it's going into a 306 xsi

James > cheers that might very well be useful if i can't get it sorted.

Ade > the double relay clicks once when the ignition is switched, i'll get bob to check pin 35 but i'm pretty sure the injectors were getting 12v (ie pins 35, 34,16,17)

Miles

I have swaped looms in a S16 and found it worked but odd as it may sound bypassed the Keypad but other than that no issues as the pin's where sslightly different, But going from a XSi to S16 will be different

ade 4wd

The second relay supplies 12v to the fuel pump, injectors and coil packs. The relay is switched on by the ECU when it receives pulses from the flywheel sensor. You say the management lamp is flashing, sounds like the ECU is locked :-(

M@tt

Hi Ade

According to the Autodata wiring diagram the first relay which shuts when the ignition is turned on supplies the injectors, the 2nd relay which isn't closing does the fuel pump and coil packs as you say.

Yeah i was thinking the ECU might be still locked but because we found one pin wasn't right between the 2 loom connectors (even though we appear to have the correct lives, earths and switched lives now on the engine side of the loom) i was assuming there probably was going to be some other pins which weren't quite right as well causing the light to flash.

ie an incorrect sensor wire pin mismatch where 12v is being sent to the engine management light (or it being earthed) rather than it actually being the correct wire and there actually being a fault. I've not heard of any faults which actually make the engine management light flash constantly on/off at a 1sec interval

What i've suggested to bob is that he go through each of the pins on the engine side of the loom plug, identify what each pin goes to ie LOOM PIN 1 > DBL Relay Pin7 etc

I'll then be abale to say right to get engine running all we need is 12v to this pin, that pin, an earth there etc and that way we can rule out pin mismatching between the 2 looms causing any problems. If that doesn't work it's going to be a case of trying a known working ECU.

ade 4wd

Sounds like your loom is for the bosch MP5.2 ECU. I was looking at the marelli 1ap ECU. If you need the ECU unlocking let me know as i can do that for you.

M@tt

Nice one ade :)

It's from a '95 S16 (405 i think) and its running MP3.2 according to Bob. I think loom and ECU were both from same car though.

Ah now i've just written that if its a 405 engine and loom and its going into a 306 i guess its more likely that even though the plugs are the same the pins probably won't match

welshpug

yeap! I know a lad that fitted an S16 into a P2 diesel and the plugs fitted but was having similar problems, you basically have to do the same as you do with a 205 conversion, match up all the wires.

depends if you can pull the pins out of the plugs or not, may be easier to chop and solder/crimp and heatshrink the wires.

at least its pug-pug not pug-citroen :)