• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
xclusive964

205tt Tps Blown 2 !

xclusive964

Hi Guys , need some help i posted earlier in week about what i thout was faulty tps omn my new emerald set up so they sent me a replacement put it on and it worked fine straight away car ticked over and revved fine , came back to car to try again about 1hr later fired it up and soon as i tried to rev it cut out so i checked tps and its blown totaly dead ! , only thing i did was switched between 3 maps on my dash map switch , it will only run on a couple of zetec maps and not on the tt basemap could i have fried the tps with to much voltage ?/ at a bit of a loss any suggestions appreciated will ring dave at emerald tomorrow anyway but just seeing if anyone may have an idea regards steve

Tom Fenton

If you over stress the TPS at either end of its travel you will f*** it, you should ensure that there are physical throttle stops, and the TPS has free movement outside their range.

xclusive964
If you over stress the TPS at either end of its travel you will f*** it, you should ensure that there are physical throttle stops, and the TPS has free movement outside their range.

ok so if i manually turn tps say not neccesarily on throttle spindle that can knacker it ? not been rough with it but have turned manually , thx for quick reply

Tom Fenton

Turning it by hand shouldn't, but if the cable pulls it to its ends to hard, then that could damage it.

xclusive964
Turning it by hand shouldn't, but if the cable pulls it to its ends to hard, then that could damage it.

take your point ,not really done that mate , seemed to be when i switched maps over what sort of voltage can they take ? 5 volts or more ? just wondering if i got voltage spike when i switched ?

Mad Professor

As already said if you try and use a TPS past it's end stops the wiper arm will get damaged.

As for your question regarding TPS voltage, most if not all ECU feed the TPS via a 5volt ref wire.

As you probley already know that most TPS have three wires, | Ground | Singal | 5v Ref |, at closed thottle the singal wire should read close to 0volts and at WOT should read close to 5volts.

If you are pushing in more then 5volts, two things are going to happen, (1) the wiper arm & track are going to be push past there limited and fry, (2) at WOT you will be pushing more then 5volts back down the singal wire, witch can't be good for the ECU.

I would advice you do get out your DVM and test the 5volt ref wire going to your TPS.

Edited by Mad Professor

xclusive964
As already said if you try and use a TPS past it's end stops the wiper arm will get damaged.

As for your question regarding TPS voltage, most if not all ECU feed the TPS via a 5volt ref wire.

As you probley already know that most TPS have three wires, | Ground | Singal | 5v Ref |, at closed thottle the singal wire should read close to 0volts and at WOT should read close to 5volts.

If you are pushing in more then 5volts, two things are going to happen, (1) the wiper arm & track are going to be push past there limited and fry, (2) at WOT you will be pushing more then 5volts back down the singal wire, witch can't be good for the ECU.

I would advice you do get out your DVM and test the 5volt ref wire going to your TPS.

ok will do that thanks for your input ,regards steve

Anthony

Also, are you sure that it's the TPS itself that's dead, and not a bad connection (or even a broken loom wire) that temporarily made a connection again when you refitted the new TPS?

xclusive964
Also, are you sure that it's the TPS itself that's dead, and not a bad connection (or even a broken loom wire) that temporarily made a connection again when you refitted the new TPS?

Hi ,yes mate no resistance on tps at all checked before i fitted and there was ,checked loom wires and got continuity back to ecu on all 3 , as others suggested may be overstraining tps on throttle body going to have a look at modifying mounting bracket and use blown tps to get spot on ,thx for reply

xclusive964
Hi ,yes mate no resistance on tps at all checked before i fitted and there was ,checked loom wires and got continuity back to ecu on all 3 , as others suggested may be overstraining tps on throttle body going to have a look at modifying mounting bracket and use blown tps to get spot on ,thx for reply

Found problem !! overtightened onto bracketand not quite sitting flat ,pulled tps apart and i had broken the disc inside lesson learned not to overtighten twice !! thx for input guys