• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
axnutty

1 Bank Of Coilpack Failed

axnutty

Omex 500 running a Mi16 with a 306 coilpack. Wont start but its trying. Been playing about with it today and found the following:

-No spark on 2 plugs from one bank of the coil.

-Swopped coilpack for another GWO unit and the same 2 plugs still not working.

-checked plugs and leads - they are fine fault not with them.

-checked pinout for coil and ECU - correct

-checked pins on connectors - OK

-checked connectivity of all 3 wires (2 signal wires and the +ve) - OK

-checked resistance of the 2 signal wires - both the same

-removed the ECU cover plate no obvious signs of burnt out components.

If 2 plugs on one bank of the coil are down, the coil is not at fault neither are the plugs and leads, the two ignition input wires and plugs are OK. Then the fault as far as I can see it must lie with the ECU. Id quite like to confirm this before I have to look at replacing the ECU though.

Anyone got any thoughts? Can the Omex be configured wrong - say for a 2 cylinder engine??? Anything I can try?

Dj_mini

Could you swap the pins over to see if it will fire on the other pair this will confirm its deff the ecu?

axnutty

Yes but surely when I swop to a GWO coilpack and get the same bank dead, then that shows that one ignition input is dead - nothing to do with the coilpack itself. Given the wires back to ECU show connectivity then they cant be at fault? S

Swopping the wires will surely only make the alternate bank work and the other bank not? I suppose I can try it for what its worth...

Not very happy with this, only just bought the car and it was supposed to run fine. :(

BackStreetRacecars

Can you check that the bank of cylinders that aint firing are getting the signal? solder a wire to a tack pin or similar and prod the wires maybe?

Are the earthing points on the base of the coil clean and getting good continuity to earth?

Tom Fenton

Sounds like a dead ignition driver to me, not unheard of by any means. Go through the settings and make sure nothing is set wrong, but otherwise its most likely a driver u/s. I've never dealt with Omex but I'd imagine they should be able to repair it for you for not a lot of dosh.

axnutty

I did wonder about the earthing points on the coil - but they look fine. I will try that tomorrow though.

I did wonder if it could be a setting on the OMEX itself? Is it possible to have it just run one ignition input say if it setup for a distributer system or a 2 cylinder engine or something like that? Or am I talking crap there?

daza4

Is it trying to start but coughing and spluttering?

What trigger wheel are you using?

I had a similar thing and was running a trigger wheel on the crank pulley, I had the pulley round the wrong way so was not picking up the missing tooth.

Just something to check,

As I swopped mine around and it then fired 1st time and was giving similar symtoms

pee vee

have you actually heard the car running?

go into the omex map and see if its set to run wasted spark. else it will only fire on 2.

coil packs dieing (especially the early ford zetec ones wich are commonly used) are known to be a bit unreliable.

axnutty

Presumably trigger wheel is correct because its reading rpm's and is sparking.. where as if it was totalling wrong it wouldnt be. But then i suppose if the teeth count was wrong :s

Did question if it was setup wrong, ill have a fish about with the options and see what i can find... but im still on a very steep learning curve with that! (help! :) )

Tried a known working coilpack and it was still doing it - so not that.

pee vee

well its either an ecu/map fault. or the wire that triggers that side of the coil pack then mate, by the sounds of it!

axnutty

I checked the connectivity of the wire and its fine. I also checked the resistance of both ignition circuits with ECU in place... both have identical readings... which makes me think that nthings burnt out in the ECU and it certainly looked fine with the cover plate off.

Hmm... which as you say points to a mapping fault... oh god please let it be that, because i dotn fancy spending another £500 at the minute.

Dont suppose anyone knows the OMEX mapping software off by heart and wants to tell me where to look to check the wasted spark box?? :) If there is such an option!

sideways danny

Know it's a couple of weeks late, but if you call the Omex office, Tech support will help you sort this. sounds like either a setup problem or an ignition driver is down

welshpug

am I guessing correct that you work for Omex Danny?

sideways danny

yes. I'm mostly mechanical though ;)