• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dave_McC

Refitting Scuttle Panel

Dave_McC

As the title, I'm trying to refit the plastic scuttle panel - is there a knack to getting the rear edge back under the lip on the windscreen seal?

Thanks

Dave

toddydal

just use a small screwdriver and lift the rubber over the top

hengti

as toddydal - think it's just a matter of patience; need to be careful not to chew up the rubber screen seal, or the break the brittle scuttle plastic

Edited by hengti

Atari Boy

I find putting it back a royal a pain in the ar$e.

As others have said, little at a time with a screwdriver, although I apply a little silicone grease to the screwdriver which helps.

You are not alone in the pain.

GLPoomobile

Apart from a liberal dose of foul language, I find that rolling a flat head screw driver along the lip helps. Insert the screwdriver under the seal, start to push the plastic under, and as you push against it, roll the screwdriver along under the seal.

Edited by GLPoomobile

humanz

Any preference for a starting point? Do you start with the N/S, O/S or middle?

philfingers
Any preference for a starting point? Do you start with the N/S, O/S or middle?

I'd saying starting in Barbados must be a good thing, nice and warm makes the rubber soft! I did mine last week, took a few minutes, started on the engine side of the bay (not sure which side you drive in WI)

rapidcossie

i used a special plastic tool i got from a windscreen fitter.

was still a pain tho

humanz
I'd saying starting in Barbados must be a good thing, nice and warm makes the rubber soft! I did mine last week, took a few minutes, started on the engine side of the bay (not sure which side you drive in WI)

Not if you run out of patience along the way. I've chipped the scuttle panel plastic and slightly torn my rubber seal. I never want to have to go back to my wiper motor again.

This is the one job on the 205 I truly hate. The rubber always seems so stiff and the plastic so brittle.

Next time I'll try leaving the car in the sun, and using a little grease on the screwdriver.

We drive on the left (so car is RHD) here in Barbados and most English speaking Caribbean territories.