• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
werf

How To Repair Rusty Bottom?

werf

Yesterday I lifted the right side of the car. The results of the inspection the front of the bottom frustrated me. Body rusted in place of attachment to the longeron. I have a question for you, the rescuers of rotten bodys: what body parts must be replaced, or if they can not be replaced, the rebuild? Do I need to change the longeron to the new?

3294072515_ce4c9724f4.jpg

3294069883_6c2cb45d27.jpg

3294070739_46de897937.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

You really need to start cutting out some steel there too be able to see the extent of the damage.

But it seem quite bad, I'm not sure how the forward members are attached to the floor area, but I think they need to be attached quite sturdy.

Edited by B1ack_Mi16

DamirGTI

It's the floor stiffener B) but the inner rail is also rusted and that one is most important so make sure that you fix this properly ..

The stiffener is placed on top of the rail and spot welded onto the floor around the rail , like this :

34931181cc2f2665520d742598e31be2ea16e7e.jpg

and it's this part No.1 :

http://www.stuartmcguire.co.uk/pug/GB/205F/7/72B01A.HTM

.. it doesn't cost so much really but i wont be bothered replacing it as you can patch/close the hole once you repair the inner rail ..

Start by cleaning up around the hole till the fresh/sound metal , then cut the rusty crap off the stiffener in the square shape , to gain the access down trough the stiffener to the rail in order to repair it make some additional cuts in the ends on the each side of the square a little bit inside and then "peel" each side up (like when you're opening a cardboard box ! :lol: ) then you should be able to gain sufficient working space/clearance to repair/re-weld the rail properly .. and after you've done with the rail , peel back the top stiffener ends , re-weld the cuts which you've made earlier , fabricate an patch panel to close up the stiffener hole and that's it ...

It's double skin area so you can protect the welds afterwards from the top and the bottom by injecting some kind of rust inhibitor product trough the holes on the stiffener ..

Damir B)

Edited by DamirGTI