• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
scottish_lion

Side Repeaters

scottish_lion

Hi, I recently bought some clear side repeaters and silver coated 5W bulbs to tidy up my GTi. However. inside the clear unit there is a small amber bulb cover. It looks crap and totally takes away the point of having the silver bulbs. I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to get them open, get that amber plastic rubbish out and then reseal them. They're not fitted to the car yet but I have no idea what I'm doing. Here is a link to my photobucket site where I've posted some close up pics so you can see what I mean.

http://s411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/scottish_lion/

I hope someone can help as I'm really dissappointed!

Edited by scottish_lion

johnnyboy666

doesnt either the bulb or the repeater itself have to be amber in order to flash in amber thus making them legal? i could be wrong though.

mattbenselin

I have the same repeaters, though I quite like them :lol:

My inital response was the same as yours and on closer inspection I could not see a way of getting the clear cover away from its backing plate as it is glued in place. I tried to lever it off but I could tell the clear cover would only crack. You may be able to drill out the back or something or I had thought get a drill and drill away at the amber lens or hit it with a nail carefully so it cracks and falls out.

I could not be arsed to do any of that though and decided I liked them as they were and left it! You could try getting some clear ones, Rover did square clear repeaters about the same size as 205s, try them.

Matt

BERTMAN

yeh, you could try just getting some side repeaters from another car...

scottish_lion

I thought maybe I'd be able to melt the seal and reseal it after getting it out. The silver bulbs flash orange, they're pretty dark - you can tell they're orange underneath, but more in line with the tinted orangey gray of the late spec rear indicators, so i think they'll look good in a clear surround. I guess I'll fit them even if I cant change them, but I think i'll have a go!

If anyone else has tried this please let me know :lol:

cir287

I understand the effect you are after but when I'm on the road I'd rather have an amber flasher, its not the whole legal thing, its more the safety thing.

thats just me though

GLPoomobile

On the subject of amber flashers, there's plenty of ways to retain a bright amber flash. I'd go for LED replacement bulbs that flash orange, personally. So safety should not be compromised.

As for removing the amber from the repeaters - well I had a bash at seperating the lens but gave up. I tried scoring around the edge with a craft knife, including heating the blade up, but didn't get very far. A cutting blade on a dremel would make lighter work, but would not be useable at the corners.

scottish_lion

It'll take more than amber flashers to make me safe on the road lol.

I think I'm just going to fit them and hang onto the silver bulbs for the future.

I didn't want LEDs as they usually look to modern for my tastes.

Thanks for the help everyone, I'm going to get some pics up after Rolling road day at Ecosse so you can let me know what you think.