• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest PacMan

Whats This Plug Sockety Thing For?

Guest PacMan

Just wondering what this little brown plug socket was for? There is a loose plug on the loom nearby that seems to fit it but i didn't want to do so incase i destroyed something when i started the car.

fbaee7cf.jpg

Guest rodneyp

pacman i have that plug to! except mine isnt tucked away nicely like yours, its hanging half way down my front valance! never gave 2 s*its about it really so i hope its nothing important! is it sumthing to do with the airbox, hot air feed? cos thats where it is on urs by the looks of things (i dont have a hot air feed anymore as previous owner fitted KnN). anyway, id like to know also if this thing is important! thanx

Gary

Leave it,i think it's just a diagnostic plug that mechanics ect use to check the running of the car.

I could be wrong but i dont think so :wacko:

Gary

RichE

Gary is right, diag socket...

Guest doughboy

ahh, just stick some wires in it,,see what happens...

fan might come on :wacko:

Gary

F*ck me,i got something rightMonkey_wink.gif

Guest ellisg

Maybe they moved the diag socket for phase 2, mine is by brake fluid. One of the wires feeding it has a number, look it up, mine stated diag port.

Guest PacMan

lol, i think i'll leave it well alone then! Thought it might have had something to do with why my rev counter isn't working, but seems as though its nowt to do with it!

Now that i think about it, theres loads of plugs and sockets just dangling about in my engine bay unconnected... is this normal?

Guest blueice

A diag socket sounds fun to play with - I wonder what kind of data you can get out of it with the right equipment :wacko:

Fuqa
it´s TDC sensor.

a tdc sensor on an xs??

Ahl

TDC sensor = top dead centre sensor.

Usually attached to a flywheel (with special markings on it), it knows when one of the pistons is at full stroke and sends a signal to an electronic ECU to adjust ignition timing and fuel injection. It is only found on the electronic motronic ignition (used on mi16's and late cat. 8v gti's)

You definitely won't find one on a carb. fueled XS.

jackherer

8v GTIs have a sensor that is/was used by peugeot dealers for setting the ignition timing, it normally rests under a clip on the rocker cover, I imagine this is the same thing on an XS, not quite a tdc sensor in the normal sense as its not used but the ECU.

Guest TB_205GTI
You definitely won't find one on a carb. fueled XS.

It IS a TDC sensor, but on an XS (and GTI) it´s not connected to anything.

If you plan to use distributorless ignition,then you can use it as a std. TDC sensor.

Guest tecw1979

IF IT AINT BROKEN DONT FIX IT!!!!

leave it alone!

if it is a diagnostic socket u can buy a blink code reader from halfords to check out stored faults with engine sensers stored on ecu. but ... carb car with ecu???!!!good luck!

Guest turnip

the plug is so you can download tracks from the net,

they get stored in your sump and can be retrieved with your dipstick.

Ahl

lol!

Guest RALLYPUG

How much is the code reader from Halfords?

And how easy is it to use as I have the old cold starting problem?

Guest tecw1979

abt 17 quid for blink tester. they r crap so good luck!!! best off going to a garage thatll do it for u with a proper reader. give the guy sum beer tokens n itll b cheaper than halfrauds.

cold start prob?

cold start valve sticky? dirty? faulty return valve in tank?(do they have these in pugs?) cold start temp sensor ?

Guest tecw1979

the socket will give u a readout of any stored sense folts on the ecu. when its read it can b reset to collect any new folt codes.

Guest kamal

By plugging it in it tells you that your AFM is knackered, you need a new rear beam, your SAD is f£$%ed, your droplinks are bolloxed, all your breather pipes are blocked, your starter motor is rusted up, your valve stem seals are leaking :D HONEST

Edited by kamal

Guest Gar

I've got one. They're good for finding electrical component probs., but mechanical problems still have to be solved using part substitution etc.

Sign in to follow this