• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jamiej

Lots Of Water Sloshing Around

jamiej

Heya,

I recently went to move my car from the car park where its been sitting for about a week, started fine, no problems there but when i braked (hard) for a set of lights i could hear water sloshing around, as if it was at the rear of the car and then rushing to the front.

After lots of stopping and starting the noise stayed and im beginning to think that i must have a leak somewhere and no drain hole.

My initial thoughts are that the water is in the door, it sounds as though this is the case, but i cannot be sure.

I have checked the drain holes and they dont seem to be blocked, but this water is not budging, i tried dricing around with both the doors on the latch (as in not fully closed but still locked closed) but the noise did not go away.

It literally sounds like i have two huge half filled vats of water that slosh about as the motion of the vehicle is changed ....

So, my question to you guys, has anyone experienced this before and if so how was it sorted.

I cant imagine having sitting water inside my door is a good thing.

many thanks

any opionions/suggestions welcome.

jimistdt

Have a look at the drainage holes under the sill, park the car on a downward slope and if you have a look on the sill near the jacking point, you will see a plastic disc, put your finger in there. Then get a towel and dry your arm. Hopefully. ;)

DaveW

Yeah or jack the front up and find the plugs on the under the sills near the rear wheels, as above poke your finger in or you can remove em but they can be tough!

jamiej

any ideas where the water in getting in though ?

Ryan

The water normally gets in through the rear windows, then runs down the inside the the rear quarter. Best bet is to either replace the seals, or put some silicon sealant between the seal and body to fill in the gaps.

Edited by Ryan

jamiej

OMG, the amount of water that came ou is unlawful, i wasnt aware here was that much water in the world !!

On a more serious note, now my car is lovely and dry again how do i go about wterproofing these rear seals, i had a go at removing the seals but i think im going to rip them rather than remove them.

Thanks for the help fellas, my car even feel faster now !! prob lost about 10 kg in weight !!

Guest Wheres_my_wig
OMG, the amount of water that came ou is unlawful, i wasnt aware here was that much water in the world !!

On a more serious note, now my car is lovely and dry again how do i go about wterproofing these rear seals, i had a go at removing the seals but i think im going to rip them rather than remove them.

Thanks for the help fellas, my car even feel faster now !! prob lost about 10 kg in weight !!

I had exactly the same problem. The off side sill running along the bottom of the car was full to the brim!!! I found that all the water got in through the drainage holes in the sill after hitting a fair few nice sized puddles on the side of the road one lovely rainy day. I think the plastic disks can let water in as much as they let it out if a lot of water get sprayed up. I heard the water for a day or so, then it started leaking into the car where the bottom of the passenger seat belt rail is bolted into the car. Filled up the rear passenger side footwell with 2 inches of water!!! Happy days ay!? Needless to say it is all sorted now and hasnt happened again, just make sure your drainage holes are not full up with mud as that is how the water built up in the first place.

Does anybody know if you can get replacement seals, as they dont seem very effective!!

Steve K

Does anybody have a picture of these holes as I can hear water in mine but I cannot find the discs to empty it anywhere! I found the ones in the wheel arch but they are bone dry .....

Gohn

mine was up on jacks anyway

there are 3 drain holes that run along the bottom rail and 1 rubber bung/plug

the plug is located inside the rear jack point (in the pic its Left Rear) in a flat triangular section

if your rail's straight it'll be easy to see the drain holes

(if its taken a few whumps and whacks over the years the drain holes are less obvious)

the drain holes are evenly spaced, the first one just to the rear of the front jack point, then the next two on down to the rear

if these are clear, the sill never holds water

unblock the 3 holes first with a bit of wire, hopefully the water that flows out will help to clear some of the mud

then check the rubber bung

a previous comment thought the water had got up thru the bung and drain holes but that would be unlikely

unless you're parked in a pond...

sill1.JPG

sill2.JPG

sill3.JPG

Gohn
On 10/29/2021 at 5:17 AM, Steve K said:

Does anybody have a picture of these holes

er Steve, ignore my earlier post

for it is wrong, sorry bout the bumsteer

I've since had a proper look at the sill

remembered unblocking my sill years ago but didn't know where from

there are not 3 drain points, just 1, those pressed points along the sill are structural

far as I can tell the only drain point is the one at the front

I've taken a better pic with a thin hacksaw blade showing where the drain hole is at Front Left

and I'm not sure on the round rubber drain plug at the rear? it may drain the sill but probably not

sometimes the drain hole takes a whack or gets used as a jackpoint by mistake,

if so you can easy straighten it back out and insert the wire to clear

sill6.JPG