• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Para

2.2 Peugeot 407 Sport Conversion

Para

Hi guys

There is a good engine for sale , it's 2.2 litre 16V from 407 sport, price is good and it's from 2007 so it's brand new. Anyone was trying that kind of conversion before ? What problems I might have on the way ? How different it will looks like from fitting ..hhmm let's say S16 engine ?

Thanks

Mike

M@tt

not sure on the mechanical side but i imagine the mounts are going to be completely different so you'll need to either fabricate sone or modify the 205 shell mounting points.

also modern engine means multiplexed wiring so you'll probably need half the dash gubbins for it all to work unless you slap it on an aftermarket ECU

Edited by M@tt

jplautomotive

as matt said mount more likely different be on a ML box i would have thought as well

and yes multiplexed so will need bsi dash , blah blah or after market ecu

i think it might be a lot of hassle

jonny

welshpug

its an EW12, so the fitting would be much like the EW10 that has been done (AKA 206 gti 138 bhp and the 180 bhp version)

unsure if the bellhousing pattern would be compatible with a BE gearbox.

they're 160 bhp as standard, alloy block IIRC, and produce very good torque, this combination I've been told punts the 407 along faster and more economically than the V6!

Redtop

Probably have to fabricate the gear shift to cable style for the different box. A 406 petrol box may fit, though im not sure. Hilgie did this with one [for a 2.0 206 engine] and Im nearly sure if you search you will find it, otherwise pm him. I think the boxer van cable system can be used. Think you need a combination of different driveshafts to make correct fittment to the box and hubs.

Para

Thanks guys, it looks like it's going to be lot's of work. XU10 is much easier , cheaper and still very effective for conversion .

guffe

Correct if I'm wrong, but ain't the BE4R box bolt on to these EW-engines just fine?

welshpug

depends which be4 bellhousing it has, the BE4 also fits a TU engine, but that bellhousing won't fit an XU or EW!

Sandy

They all have bespoke bellhousings, as do the DW and DV diesels.

Hilgie

Correct...internals can be swapped, but the bellhousing is different for each engine due to engine angle. Eg. EW and DW are 15 degree, XU is 30 degree, TU is 0 degree.

Fitting the 2.2-16V engine is a good conversion, standard 160bhp, but easily tuneable for more power using aftermarket management and decent inlet. Should be good for 180bhp and the engine is light, about the same as an Mi16 due to it being all alloy.

XU engine conversion is easier offcourse, but not as exciting :)

Sandy

TU is -6 degree. It says in the Peugeot manuals, that the EW and DW engines were mounted at a reduced angle to improve crash performance.

Edited by Sandy

RossD

Indeed, compare the angles of the DW10 engine in the 307 to a 306... Same engine but in the 306 it's mounted at 30ish degrees like an XU but in the 307 it's mounted upright.

James_R

Thought I'd mention the 136BHP (old 206 GTi engine) longmans did an inlet and exhuast mani swap on the std engine and it was making 185BHP and 175lbs (claimed) which is pretty damn good. I've been looking out for a 2.2 EW for a while with little success, thehead is meant to have large laves and flow better, but who knows how true that is, should crack 190-200 with bodies and tuned exhaust mani, I was on th elook out for a GTi180 exahust mani similar to the Gti-6 items. again not really found any for sensible money as of yet.

Sign in to follow this